1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to splash the cash.......but need a bit help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by shakie1973, Apr 1, 2005.

1. shakie1973

shakie1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ALL,
    Need a bit help plz,i've been round all the home cinema shops plus all the usual suspects till i'm sick.i've looked online till me eyes melted,SO heres the deal.
    I've got about the £1600 mark maybe a little more but not much as the stand i like (alphason argon is a bit pricey)and i think i've got 3 too choose from

jvc pd35b50
    panasonic th37p
    hitachi pd5200

I like the look of all them but i'm struggling to find the hitachi for less than £2000.
    the panasonic seems to have a lot of 37's in that range.
    And the jvc dosn't have any reviews i can find.

Can someone please give me some advise,fors and against's etc.p.s if you know where i can get the stand cheaper.

CHEERS

2. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Buy an LG RZ42PX11 and you'll get a great plasma with loads of money to spare for a decent stand. :thumbsup:

3. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Although there are connectivity issues involved and maybe some future-proofing, picture quality is probably what you should base your decision on. The reality is that it's quite hard to get to see well setup plasmas side by side.

My best advice (and everyone has to do it I'm afraid) is to read as much as you can from owners of the panels you like. See what good bits and bad bits there are to each. This place is a mine of 'money can't buy' information, but you need to do some legwork. It will make your head spin but it's an awful lot of your money and there are some real lemons out there (I know, I wasted nearly a grand on a bad decision and had to start again). You need to be clear in your own mind of WHY you are choosing the one you are choosing, and why you're not choosiing the others.

Eventually, AFTER collecting some info (for pitfall avoidance), you'd probably want to try and see something in action (which can be tricky, unless you're happy looking at the High St sets - my mistake :suicide: ).

Don't rush, attempt to understand and ask the right questions and I'm sure you'll get there in the end.

Personally, I haven't looked into 37" so I can't help with your specific need. I was after a 42" and a few weeks after looking, I KNEW why I chose the one I did.

Good luck. Choose carefully. :smashin:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I thought you had left the building :confused:

6. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    bit like the proverbial bad penny :D

you did'nt even mention the dreaded LG word but ross is back to the usual and inflicting his views on any who will/will not listen :(

i have a 37" viera and am very happy - on refection i should have bought just a panel since i never use the tv's speakers - problem was when buying i was not aware of this forum and had to do all the research myself

7. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The original question did not ask ONLY for views on the stated panels - note: 'I think I've got 3 to choose from'.

The LG 42PX11 is a valid answer to the question 'How do I get a plasma and stand for £1600?'.

But rather than state a tangible case against the LG, you make a personal statement against another member. And then the LG owners get blamed for starting all the arguments!!!

8. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    somebody got out of bed on the wrong side this am :D must have had a bad knight!!

the lg would have been a valid answer if the poster had asked for a 42" screen - i think you will find if you care to check that none of those referred to are that size :(

and i was not starting an argument just making a somewhat tongue in cheek comment as have others :rotfl:

9. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, none of the screens mentioned are 42". Then again, it wasn't actually stated that it had to be 37" or less, and the shortlist could have been chosen on the basis that smaller screens are cheaper, and trying to get it all on budget.

And there is nothing tongue in cheek about saying someone is "inflicting his views on any who will/will not listen" - especially when you follow it with a frown and not a smile.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Obviously, sticking up for the aforementioned ross, you really are well named, not afraid to be killed in lots of horrible ways, as the minstrels sang. I do find it strange that the most defensive and argumentative members are LG owners. 2 have previously made themselves infamous

11. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting point there MAW - if someone is being defensive, doesn't that suggest that they are being attacked? And I've always found that it takes at least two people to have an argument - and whatever side of the fence you are on, it's never the wrong one :)

So here is a straightforward question for you - the pro-LG post was nothing more than a recommendation for a particular screen, when recommendations and comments were asked for. There was no comment on anyone else's viewpoint, and there was no comparison made to any other screen. If you have a reason why it doesn't match the requirements, or you have valid reasons for other choices, they can simply be stated and the number of posts will make it's own case and/or people can draw their own conclusions. Is it EVER justified to respond to such a post with "inflicting his views on any who will/will not listen"? And if you don't think it is, you would help your own position, and the tranquility of this forum, to actually say so when it does occur, rather than leave it to those on the end of such comments to defend themselves.

And that is (hopefully) all I have got to say on the subject, as it has nothing to do with this thread...

12. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    :mad: *** - bravo for hijacking and trying to drag another thread down with the same garbage as before.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think the point was that our friend ross is making blind recommendations with his vast experience of plasmas, and again simply to buy the screen he has ended up with. The reply was directed at the way Ross simply recommends LG immediately in respnse to any 'what plasma' thread, no q's as to what the poor guy might want from his purchase. OK LG do a good budget plasma, a flat TV for everyman, that does not mean that everybody has to buy one.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if we assume you mean TH-37PW7B or TH-37PWD7 the the panny is best PQ but requires more effort and extras (what do you currently own? DVD player, Sky, AV amp, speakers?)
    is the the hitachi you were considering the 37" also (note this is currently Exclusive to dixons so not a lot of options re buying one...........) and unless LG have magiced up a 37PX11 can leave that one off the agenda...........

15. shakie1973

shakie1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment all i'm running from my jvc tv (soon to be replaced)is
    pioneer nsdv home cinema
    sky box
    video.

Ithink i'll go for the panny.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK assuming you run sound through the pio, you really dont need the tuner box PT600 does Pioneer system have component out put?

17. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    MAW you recomend a Panny to every what plasma thread so why can't I recomend an LG. You're being a a bit hyocritical there mate :rolleyes: .

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As it happens, ross that is utter B****Ks, I install a lot of Pioneer! Many Panasonics too, yes. I'm also very carefull what type of install I put a pioneer into. But I only install Japanese plasmas, once bitten twice shy. I don't have the resources to go back and back to installs with poor picture. BTW could you do something useful for a change. Stop bitching at me, and go and help a new LG owner with her connections. And do it right as we will all be watching. Her name is Claire, it will be off the 1st page soon, connections for a newbie or something. You know all about LG don't you Ross.