1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to rip my CD collection into Itunes for use in an Ipod, need advice

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by garrad, Feb 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right-o. I'm about to rip 300 music cd's of mine for use on an Ipod (which I've not got yet) so I want to get all my albums ready to sync up.

So what I want to know is what quality I should rip my albums in. I also want to buy albums from iTunes and they are 128k AAC so should I just rip my albums in the same format?

Is there any good websites or any good advice about what I should rip them as?

2. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a book from Amazon, The Rough Guide To iPods and iTunes, which goes through all this and more in detail. Been reading through it myself to find the answer to this question (and loads of others) and it's very good. Highly recommended!

The sensible thing IMO would be to import in AAC, it will save time both in terms of how long it takes to import CDs and also will be ready to transfer straight to your iPod, saving time again converting from, say, lossless to AAC.

Hope that helps.

3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Here's a few things to consider. First, do you think you might ever want to play the tunes with non-Apple software or on a non-Apple device? If the answer is "No", AAC is the best option. If the answer is "Maybe", use MP3 as it is much more widely supported. There's also the DRM protection to consider. Your own ripped CDs won't have this, but iTunes purchases will. They won't play outside the iTunes/IPod world unless you rip to CD and re-rip to an unprotected format, with inconvenience and loss of quality. Alongside the lossy compression, that makes iTunes a poor deal to my mind, but then again it's convenient and many people are happy with the quality, so it's up to you.

As to bitrate, I think you should experiment. I tend to use MP3 at 192kbps. I don't use variable bitrate because it tends to consume the battery faster on portable devices. But I'd suggest you do your own listening tests. Another factor is how much storage you have available relative to the amount of music you want to store.

Tim
    iPod Photo review:
    http://www.itwriting.com/ipodphoto.php

4. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've decided to rip at 128 AAC. I might as well since all my purchases on iTunes will be in that format also.

As for using iTunes, I think its the best method. The hassle of using other software is just a pain. I can't wait until pioneer release their ipod adaptor, it will be fantastic.

5. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Having first ripped every CD I own into 128 MP3 and then into 128 AAC, in my opinion the AAC sound better on my iPod. Less artifacts and a closer sound to the original. As said above, if you have no need to use MP3's and only intend to use an iPod, then I would suggest using AAC, it is acknowledged to give a superior sound (vs MP3) for the same bitrate.

6. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excelent stuff... now the long churn of ripping all my cd's all 300 of them