• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

About to replace one of my component cables with a new HDMI

John

So have bitten the bullet and ordered a hdmi cable and adapter for ye old Hitachi plasma. Who knows may even get SkyHD before long .
Now for the dilemma . As you can see in this thread here my conduit has a right angle in it and is full . So I have to remove one of the component cables , In this case the one with the largest cross section and cheapest as it happens :D.
Anyone done anything like this before , its wedged in fairly tight. Is it likely to be a case of plenty of wd40 and a bit of patience and muscle ?

all advice welcome , so long as it doesn't involve pulling the wall apart :rotfl:

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
Judging from the photo I'd highly doubt that you'll get an HDMI cable to go around the 90 degree bend without damaging it even if you do manage to get the component cable out which also looks unlikely.

You have to be careful not to pull on the plug end of an HDMI cable when feeding it through trunking as well so it really isn't going to be easy.

John

Judging from the photo I'd highly doubt that you'll get an HDMI cable to go around the 90 degree bend without damaging it even if you do manage to get the component cable out which also looks unlikely.

You have to be careful not to pull on the plug end of an HDMI cable when feeding it through trunking as well so it really isn't going to be easy.

Hi Mark .
Looking at the end of the cable , which arrived today, i think it may just squeeze round with a bit of push, pull, tweak and pull a bit more. Its only about 2/3's the size of the component cable I am trying to remove . Got to give it a go with SkyHD now only £50.00. HDMI didn't exist when I hung the TV. Knew i should have put in a DVI-D cable. And to top it all off , I need to get a right angle connector for the HDMI - DVI converter . bugger

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
The problem you are up against is that you can't pull on the end of the HDMI cable without a high risk of damage.

I hope it does work out OK, but do try to connect whatever you are using to pull it through to the cable behind the connector rather than on the connector itself.

Good luck!

saabtech

Established Member
I can give you a couple of tips if it helps, First lay your drawing cord over the component cable and using pvc insulation tape, tape the string to the cable, streching the tape as you go and leave a couple of inches of string poking out of the end and then fold the string over the tape and tape over this piece of string and continue with the tape over the phono plugs with the string coming out of the middle. Draw out the cable from the other end, Join the string to the Hdmi cable using the same method and pull through. If you get it stuck pull all of the cables out from the other direction doing the thinnest first. To reinstall them you have two choices, Put the fattest in first and thinnest last, remember a piece of string for each cable. If that fails pull out all the cables and tape together in a bunch and make sure that the ends are staggered. Talcum powder is a good lubricant as is silicone spray and use nylon cord if you can. HTH, Saabtech.

John

Well I got the cable out no problems , other than my draw cord snapped , arghhhhhhhhh.
anyhow after much frustration this morning I finally managed to get new draw cords in , but alas it would seem Mark was right and the 90deg bend is causin issues . Bugger.

But I will not be defeated. even if I have to but another hdmi cable with a shorter plug cover. atleast I have the draw strings in now

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
Sorry to hear that :(

You might want to check with HDMIHead (UKHDMI.Com) regarding the dimensions of their Ivuna cable connectors as I seem to recall he has mentioned before that they were better suited for tight conduit routing than some other cables.

John

Sorry to hear that :(

You might want to check with HDMIHead (UKHDMI.Com) regarding the dimensions of their Ivuna cable connectors as I seem to recall he has mentioned before that they were better suited for tight conduit routing than some other cables.

Its the Ikuna version I have . I'll look into the Ivuna :smashin:

John

oh poo , not sure its the flexability is the issue

John

Just as I was about to snip ye olde ixos component cables in order to remove them before re-pulling and re-soldering them . I thought I would give it one more go to just tease the HDMI through.

Well what do you know it bloody well went through on the second attempt

:clap::clap:YES:clap::clap:

Just got to spend the afternoon reprogramming the Harmony and double checking the connections on the Amp :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom