1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to Pre-Order a 42" PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Moncs, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

After a good few months research I have decided to order the Panasonic 42" PV500 either from John Lewis once they get a price or a local Panasonic Shop, before I do I wondered if someone could answer a couple of no doubt stupid questions...

1... This will be my first plasma, Due to the design on my living room it has to sit in the corner, we sit around 12ft away from the screen and the room is about 15ft by 13ft. Is 42" to large for this size room and would the 37" version be a better option?

2... I currently have SKY+, which I plan to obviously connect up. Is RGB Scart the best way to do this?

3... I plan to get a home cinema system, either the Denon DHT500SD or the panansonic HD ready system which was shown to me in the panasonic shop (4ft thin speakers) either way, is is possible to connect SKY to output thru these speakers rather than the in built TV speakers, and if so does any Sky Movies broadcast with surround sound anyway?

2. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,
    1. 42 @12feet will be okay.
    2. Scart is the (best) way to connect up standard SKY+ box, just make sure box is set to RGB(Standard aerial would be best plugged straight to Panasonic TV to make the best of the built in freeview tuner ) Use a quality scart lead. THOR cables available from [play.com[/url] or Maplins are great value but other such as IXOS, QED are good quality as well.
    3. Sky+ box has optical output for sound which will plug into any decent AV amp. I would urge you to go to a AV/Hifi retailer before deciding on the one make systems you have shortlisted. I dont know enough about the video outputs of the Denon or panasonic sytems but given the Plasmas HDMI socket I'd be tempted to make sure DVD player has one as well . SKY movie channels output most movies in 5.1

3. phoTToniq

phoTToniq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been considering an LCD for ages and am now veering towards this panasonic plasma too. What is the minimum distance one should have in front of a 42" plasma though?

I was going to get LCD for my xbox - but i tend to play xbox on my dell 2001fp computer screen now and am not so concerned about having hi-def xbox etc.

4. TillyB

TillyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you asked at John Lewis whether you can pre-order? I have done with AV-Sales but would seriously consider JL because of the 5yr guarantee.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    But the amount JL will charge initially may be too prohibitive.

6. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    Hey guys,I don't wish to set eveyone off again,but pre-ordering???What's the rush.Surely you want to see it in action?It'll probably be wonderful,but I can't see sudden huge national demand with queues on the streets,fights breaking out etc.What if it's not what you want or expected when it arrives.We've just been through the 'it's great and I'll be seeing it next week' issue.Besides,prices may yet drop a whisker.
    regards
    Ian

7. TillyB

TillyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have spent months pondering which plasma to buy, ordered one twice and cancelled both times worried I was making the wrong decision. So have held off until the new Panny comes out and just want to go for it now so my decision is made!

8. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    Don't get me wrong TillyB,I agree wholeheartedly that life is too short,I took much too long making my own decision on the xde,but how long is a quick look going to take?It's something you're hopefully going to be enjoying for years !
    regards
    Ian

9. TillyB

TillyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being the mad female I am, I'm willing to take the risk!!!! :clap:

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I thought the female species were the cautious ones! ;)

11. phoTToniq

phoTToniq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ill wait till it is out and then try to get john lewis to price match someone who is cheaper. I agree their initial price is likely to be very high.

12. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got an email from John Lewis today saying they dont have a price for it yet, The Panasonic Shop is selling it for £3k inc floor stand

13. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Going on the fact that that JL are offering the PE50 at £1999 and that the PV500 is supposed to cost in the region of £500+ more, if JL can offer it for £2500 or there abouts this wont be a bad starting price for them considering the 5yr warranty.

14. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Panasonic Shop do a 5 year warranty as well, so the salesman told me, as well as 12 or 18 months interest free credit.

15. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Buying a plasma without even seeing the picture from it?? you must be mad, the last lot of vieras were not very good with pictures through the tuner box, many threads on here about it, so what if this one isnt any different and 3k is a lot to pay for a screen you haven't even seen.

Dino

16. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought the last Viera's had built in tuners?
    Least mine has!!

17. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

????? Virea's have built in tuners m8

18. Anthall

Anthall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    More than happy with the picture using my tuner box, i think any plasma picture would look good though when sitting 8 meters from screen? :confused: