1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to post my xbox off to be modded - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Triggaaar, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I can't be bothered to do it myself :blush: so am going to send the box off.

Current plan is using www.baldbouncer.co.uk and getting Xecuter 2.3b lite or Pro (£50 or £60 + £20P&P)

Can anyone tell me the advantage of getting the Pro vs Lite?

Or is there anywhere local to Brighton I could get it done?

Thanks

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    A good diagram detailing the differences between the various models can be found here :)

In all honesty, if you're happy to just be able to do the "usual" (FTP, install bigger HD, play about with the Dash etc.) then it makes relatively little difference which one you go for. I'm currently running a 2.3b Lite Plus - does everything that I want it to do (and plenty that I don't i'm sure)...

Baldbouncer are a reputable company - I get all of my "bits" from them and would happily send my Xbox to them if the need arose. Having said that, you could half the cost of installing a mod if you do it yourself - they really are a doddle to fit (especially if you go for the solderless 2.3b Lite+).

What exactly does the Baldbouncer service include - Bios flash? Installation of any Apps? If you have to do all of that yourself then IMO you may as well go down the DIY route anyway as they're probably the most complicated aspects :)

K.

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Good point. It's not actually the fitting I don't fancy doing, it's the faffing about with downloading and ripping CDs from a PC to set it up (don't currently have the facility). I also see that premodded.co.uk are back doing their courier service, and think that includes apps. Looks like £70 including P&P in both directions.

Reason I'm after the mod is to switch to NTSC for High Def. But once done, I may be interested in other options, like putting Doom on it etc. What are the limitations of the std 10Gig HD (and how large a drive would you need to copy a few games onto it)? (I won't use it to store all CDs)

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    With 10gig you will probably be able to get about four games on it depending on the size of games obviously. If you are sending it away to be done then i would also recommend that you go for a larger hard drive, if it isnt too much more.

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Ditto - 4 games is perhaps optimistic if you're going to put any of the more recent games on it - most seem to be about the 2-3GB mark. I only managed 2 on mine. A drive upgrade is well worth doing :)

K.

6. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I'm not actually fussed about backing up games, or being able to copy games from others (I tend to only play a few games, and I get my money's worth, so don't pirate). What advantages are there of playing games from the HD?

Faster loading times?
    Not having to switch between disks?
    others?

Thanks

7. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The main benefit (IMO) is doing away with the need to switch discs. Every game I have on my HD, I also have the disc equivalent of, but it's so much easier to just revert to the dash and select the next game...

Some say that there is a marked increase in loading times but I can't say that i've really noticed it with mine - perhas slightly, but nothing to write home about :)

K.

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    As kelvin has said really, but i do notice the quicker loading time. If it does not cost much more to get a larger hard disk then whilst your machine is away being chipped it is defintely worth considering imo.