About to Order...

DannyDrama

Novice Member
Reaction score
I currently have Sky Fibre Unlimited, wanting to get TV also with the Entertainment Extra pack only.

I have heard many stories of dishonest reps offering deals and then not following through. If I call to order and get a good offer, how best to go about making it watertight? People say get it in writing but will that hold my order up or can they sent it in an email?

How to get a good offer in the first place? Their website tells me I can get what I want (Fibre Unlimited, Entertainment extra, no calls/line rental) for just shy of £50 a month with a £49 one off fee, which already sounds fair to me. Is pushing for better greedy?

The part in bold is important. When I upgraded BB to Fibre I did have calls/line rental. I tried to switch to BT for fibre first, which I cancelled the order as they were shockingly bad. This seemed to mess my Sky package up, as I no longer get phone service or pay line rental. That suits me fine as I never use a landline anyway.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Just sign up at the web site.

Fair enough, short and to the point.

Someone told me that to have an internet connection with Sky, I NEED to have talk/line rental so wanted to clarify that.

Edit: I have worked it out. I should be paying £10 a month for 6 months, but that is only with line rental. Since I don't pay LR, I'm paying the full £20. This would be much easier to understand were the website not deliberately confusing.:thumbsdow

Last edited:
I've just ended a chat with Sky, trying to find out where I stand with getting it installed in a 1st floor flat and this is the outcome. Can anyone please translate this for me because I have no idea what this guy is telling me.

In communal system Sky has a dish installed for all. The dish will have a single dish input feed and will let you watch and record programs.

If you want an extra box in future that will require a seperate dish to be installed at your property and you need to ask the permission of your landlord to get the seperate dish installed.

If there is already a dish can I get all the benefit of HD etc? These are some noob questions but this is all new to me and I'm clueless as to the hardware.

Is there a dish already in your block of flats?

Yeah, it's less than a foot away from me right on the other side of the wall.:D

Sorry, I don't know about telephone connections with Sky.
The guy was assuming a normal flat installation.
If that's what you have then he should have explained that you can't record and watch two different things.
The dish makes no distinction between HD and SD.
All receivers receive HD, show the free channels, and show the subscription channels if you pay for them.
Frst you need to establish whether you have the standard installation - hence JayCee's question.
Which has now been answered!
The tenancy agreement should tell you the details - does it?

Last edited:
Not really, it says I will need permission to make improvements including installation of satellite dishes etc.

There is a 5 year old BSkyB Twin 63-008A (whatever that means) cable running through my wall but it is mangled to hell. It's looking like the same story as my BB, the gear is all here, someone at Sky just needs to send me a box and flip the switch so to speak. Please let me know if this is not the case!

It should be the case but if it doesn't work due to the mangled cables you'll need to get Sky to come and fix it.

Yeah I ordered at lunch today and the install date is wednesday between 8.30 and 1pm. Wasn't expecting it to be so soon but the next one was a month away.:eek:

Will have to see what the bloke says when he gets here but it's looking ok so far.

Quick work!

I know, whats more I'll no longer have that stupid 'not having Sky TV' subsidy on my bill!

I can't get time off work so the missus will be overseeing things. I expect to get home and find the box nailed to the wall or something equally enigmatic between the two of them.

Just a bit of follow up, all installed and sorted. They replaced the dish, put new connections on the existing cable, fitted the box. Found out the trainee guy cocked it up somehow so back up the ladder he goes (while his coffee was getting cold, serves him right!). 10 minutes later I'm watching Game Of Thrones. My viewing card arrived while they were fitting the dish so perfect timing.

The sky box has frozen twice already, once it worked again after a minute but the second time I had to unplug it from the wall. Even that did not work, I had to take the cable out of the box to turn it off.:mad:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom