1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to order the componemtns for a HCPC/Media Box

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sapper, Apr 27, 2004.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    The good news is that I am about to start my home media box. :clap:

The plan is to buy the following components to start the project. After which I will add more hard drives (using RAID), add another DVD writer etc as appropriate.

Do you have any problems with the components as it stands? Do you have any suggestions to suggest?

I have a 1MB broadband connection (blue yonder with a 4100 modem). Which is the most practical wireless router to consider for setting up the home Wi-fi network?

Software for DVD players, scalers etc? Which ones do you recommend?

Motherboard A7N8X-E Deluxe SKTA NVNorce2ST ATX 8xAGP Giga LAN, SATA, Firewire, 6 channel Audio, USB2 Dual chan. DDR +WiFi slot (up to DDR400)
    Provcessor AMD Athlon XP2800 333FSB 512kb L2 Cache Barton Retail Boxed Inc Heatsink & Fan with 3year Warranty
    Memory Crucial 512 DDR400 PC3200 CL=3 Memory Module
    Hard Drive Western Digital Cavier SE 80Gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache Hard Drive - OEM
    Graphics Card Sapphire Radeon 9600PRO 256MB DDR 8x AGP TV-Out DVI-I Retail Box
    Keybaord Microsoft Wireless Optical PS2/USB Desktop Bundle Special Edition
    DVD ROM Liteon 16x48 IDE DVD-ROM Drive - Retail Box
    Case Casecom KG-200 Silver ATX Case 400watt with front USB and audio

Wireless Router ???

Most appreciative of your support and feedback. :lease:

Adrian

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Unless you are playing games I suggest you change the 9600 Pro to a standard 9600 as this has no fan. You'll find the Pro to be pretty noisy, which isn't great unless you are hiding your PC away somewhere.

I have no idea how noisy the HD you have chosen is. I use Seagate Barracudas as they are very quiet and similarly priced.

Software wise I prefer Zoomplayer for it's flexibility, but many like TheatreTek and even the latest PowerDVD is great.

What are you using the PC to drive? A CRT TV, A projector or a Plasma/LCD TV? If it is a normal CRT TV you may need to consider extra options to get decent output to it. S-Video from a graphics card will not be great.

If you want a scaler then Dscaler is great and free. But you will need a capture card. Search on here, something like the Pacard Bell card at around £30 will do nicely.

Good luck!

Cheers
    Marc