Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

About to order Sky - Any Advice or Tips?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Orson, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +668
    Hi all,

I've finally reached the end of my tether with NTL & cancelled their TV service. So, what to do next? I get poor reception on terrestrial TV, and I can't get freeview according to their postcode checker, so my only route is to sell my soul to Rupert Murdoc, and go Sky.

I really only want the Family Pack (same as I had on NTL), but I really do fancy the Sky+ box, as it sounds quite clever, and I do like my gadgets :D so I'll probably have one of the 'upgrade' packs, probably J1 or K1, which are both £30 per month, which means I'll get the extra channels for just 50pence more than Family Pack with Sky plus (£10 + £19.50 per month).

I'll probably go with the web offer they have at the moment, with free install, 3 months half price subscription, and Sky+ box for £89.

So my questions are:

1) What is the difference between (J1)Sky Sports 1 and (k1)Sky Sports 2?

2) As I only want the family pack, is there a better value way of getting Sky+?

3) Is the web offer the best deal around at the moment (I've not looked in any of the High Street shops)

4) Are there different makes of Sky+ box, and if so, should I be specifying one or the other? (if they let me)

5)Any other top tips?

As usual, all your help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. AV Newbie

AV Newbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    1. They tend to show different sports although there is some overlap. Majority of football and wrestling is on Sky Sports 1, majority of golf and tennis is on Sky Sports 2, etc.

2. Not that I can see. Personally I only want the Sports, and they won't do that for me because there's no profit in it. Same applies to just the family pack.

3. As far as I know.

4. If you're a new subscriber they should be offering you the best that there is out there. I believe that's one of the new Pace models.

5. Pass.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    If you go for Sky+ and if you get the chance, ask for a Pace box. If you don't get a choice, you may end up with an Amstrad which appears to have had more than it's fare share of problems.

John

4. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +668
    Thanks for the replies folks. Phoned up Sky & they offered me a 'today only managers special' :rolleyes: of the first 2 months free, but only on the top package.
    This is all too confusing :suicide:

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Go for it.... you can change pakages at any time. All the packages are changing in September anyway.

6. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +668
    Ordered & Booked :thumbsup:

Went for the first 2 months free, free install etc, and Sky+ box for £89.00

And the real beauty....

I've arranged installation to be the same day as my wedding anniversary - do you think I'll get away with that as a prezzie for the missus? :devil:

The only doubt I am having is in relation to the Sky+ box itself, as the (very helpful) chap on the phone told me the boxes being installed were all Pace now, not Amstrad, and that the difference between v1 & v2 was the size of the hard disk, i.e. standard Sky+ and Sky+ 160.

Oh well, I know I'll end up with whatever the engineer has on his van anyway!

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Must have been the same guy I spoke to - he talks out of his rear end !

Most of the new boxes at the moment are Amstrads. V1 boxes and early V2 boxes had 40GB drives, later V2's had 80GB, but I think this was more to do with supply problems than with improvements in the spec.

8. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just one thing, prepare for a shockingly good tv experience, ive had both and NTL was absoloute crap in comparison. Enjoy!