1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to order new subs (SVS)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by danielst, Dec 16, 2003.

1. danielst

danielst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

Been reading here a while but decided to finally registar and do some posting. I am just about ready to pull the trigger on ordering new subs for the home theater and am probably going to order the dual CS-Plus + Samson amp deal from SVS. All total it is $1668.60 (It's a little higher than the website shows as I have to pay tax since I live in Ohio where they are located.) Anyway, I also priced out the dual CS-Ultra + Samson amp at $2316.42. I don't have a million dollar setup... Onkyo TX-NR901, Paradigm Studio 40 v.2 fronts and a Studio CC v.2 center. My current sub is an old powered Cerwin Vega 15" that I've had for 10+ years. Anyway, I was looking for some educated opinions as to whether the Ultra's are a big enough step up as to make me exceed my self imposed $2000 budget? Last, my room is pretty large, 28 ft x 23ft x 12ft with hardwood floors and actually wood on the walls as well (place looks like a freaking ski lodge... :D )

Thanks!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Welcome to the forum. The problem with your question is that none of our group have bought the passive subwoofers with amp so we can't talk from experience.

The other aspect that we may have a problem with is the size of your room as in the UK any room that measures that size is referred to as a small city.

The best person to ask is Tom Vodhanel at SVS ( tomv@svsubwoofers.com ) as he is refreshingly honest and is unlikely to suggest that you need to spend any more than you really need to.

3. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  4. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ian that is pure class!!

Another vote for talking to Tom tho' he really will give you the best possible advice for YOUR requirements.

Steve

5. danielst

danielst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys! I called SVS and talked to a rep there. They basically said that I should go with either the dual CS+ 20-39 setup or 1 PB2-Plus. They said that the CS+ setup will have a bit more headroom in the 16-25hz range but it would be so close that I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. With that, now I just need to decide which I think will look nicer and fit within the house better. I'll report back on what I order and my impressions on how they sound.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Why not invite us round for a listen. This forum only has 20,000 members so you should be able to fit us all in with room to spare.

Seriously, we would be interested to hear your impressions of the CS as most of us have the 20-39 PC Plus model

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Ian, nice to see your avatar getting festive.:D (Asuming that's a xmas hat.)

8. danielst

danielst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem... will everyone be standing or should I rent some folding chairs? :D

Well, I placed the order and ended up ordering the PB2+. After talking to them some more, it turned out to be the best choice. That and it was a few hundred cheaper for the same performance. Also, they convinced me that if it isn't, adding a second PB2+ will most definately solve the problem.

Should ship out in 3 or 4 days and be here the next day since I'm in the same UPS delivery zone as them. Can't wait... and for those attending the demonstration, book your plane tickets now!

Thanks for all the help guys!