1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to install MCE - Do's and Don'ts?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by OhPinchy, Sep 9, 2005.

1. OhPinchy

OhPinchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    And so after managing to build my first PC (/pats self on back) I'm about to install MCE 2005 this weekend and I gather from this board that installing it can be a bit of a nightmare so I'd really appreciate it if anyone can point out any particular things I should and should not do, and other little things that may not be obvious.

Do I need to be connected to the Internet and TV signal when setting up?

I am in Ireland and I believe the Emerald update with the Irish EPG will be released soon - is this right and should I then wait until thats out rather than messing about with a manual workaround (the house I'm using the MCE machine in won't be ready to move into for a week).

Thanks

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When it says insert Windows XP SP2 disk - it means Disc 1

3. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
    You should be ok to get the O/S installed, you can always re-set up the tv signal to your new postcodw when you move.

I tend to be a little on the 'over careful' side when doing a fresh install, especially with MCE, you really want to install all the correct drivers first time if possible, and as few codecs as necessary.

Something like,
    Install O/S
    Install all drivers (motherboard, graphics, sound, peripherals etc...)
    Install Antivirus
    Go online get all up to date patches - windows and anti virus,
    Install any extra apps you need,
    Install dvd codec, plus any other codecs you may need.
    Set up MCE

No-one really knows how the emerald update will be, we might all end up having to do a clean install at that point, hope not!

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  4. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    All of what LISA said, but remember to do a FULL FORMAT of your HARD DRIVE with NTFS File System, it may take a long time, but it will give you a smooth running machine, don't be cheap and go for a Quick Format...also it's best to get all drivers from the internet, if possible avoid using all driver install cd's at all, you should find all up do date drivers on the manufacturers website..only reason you may need to use driver cd is if installing software only..eg Sound Card Control Panel, but drivers should be all availabe off the internet...remember to install your Monitor Driver, most people do not but it will give you the Right Colour Profile...

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The most important driver for me, the one I always forget, is the network adapter driver! So make sure you download the latest first or have the driver CD handy.

Dave

6. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40

7. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if you've already done this, but you'll need to get on the windows update website and install .net 1.1 so that you can use the MyMovies plugin. Checkout "the green button" for a list of all current plug-ins.