1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to get a Toshiba 32zp18q

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by fuzzywuzzy, May 24, 2004.

1. fuzzywuzzy

fuzzywuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:

Reserved a Toshiba Picture Frame 1 telly from Hyperfi (www.hyperfi.co.uk) a stacked to the ceiling type of retailer. This will be my first purchase of a widescreen TV. The model is 32zp18q. I know it's not a current model and that it is missing a few features that the zp38 has.

The model is a factory refurb from Toshiba and I'm going to be paying £600 which includes a standard 1 year guarantee from Toshiba.

Am i getting a bargain here or is there something i should look out for? I will be checking for any faults the tv has in the shop (i can open the box, tune it in and test there) but i'm worried about it being a refurb. Should i be worried or should i be happy that i am getting this for a good price?

2. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    When this set was 1st released there were a few people on these boards complaining about a few things here and there. Cant remember much but I think the main prob was with the 36" versions AND Grey imports more than anything. Seeing as your getting a 32", If you can somehow confirm it originated from Toshiba UK you should be alright.

IMHO I would only pay £600 if that was the ABSOLUTE max I could go to, if you can stretch your budget I can whole heartedly recommend the 32ZD26p over the 32ZP. I prefer the looks and the NTSC progressive scan with DVD's and games is sweet.

3. fuzzywuzzy

fuzzywuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Budget is not the problem, size is! The telly is going to be sitting in the corner of a room. Too big a telly will make it look cramped and the Toshiba picture frame and Panasonic PD30 are the only two tellies with space saving design.

This is my first widescreen purchase. The aim is that if i really want a better telly with progressive scan, etc, etc, i will sell the tosh and get the panasonic pd30 or possibly a loewe (if i can really push the telly into the cramped space).

As i mentioned before, the telly has a standard UK 1 year manufacturer's warranty that a new 'off the line' telly would get. The boxes have stickers on them saying 'factory refurbished'. I don't know if it was this forum or another, but i remember reading somewhere that refurb models have less instances of problems than the original as common problems have been fixed in the refurb.

But as for the price, is £600 for a 32zp18q with 1 year UK warranty (and option of upgrade to 5 years insured, total cover for £149 or 3 years for £99) a good price even though it is a refurb of an older model? Any ideas from some of you current/ex zp18/zp18q owners?

4. fuzzywuzzy

fuzzywuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, cheapest 32ZP38 from a net and 'bricks and mortar' company is RGB hifi who have it for £914. Seeing as i want the 5 year warranty, is it still worth going for the PF1 over the PF2 if the price with warranty for 5 years is only £165 apart?

PF1 telly, £600 + £150 for 5 years cover = £750 total, vs £914 for new, non refurbished zp38 pf2 model?

Or should i get the PF1 without extended warranty? ARRGH! decisions, decisions!

Somebody please help!

5. fuzzywuzzy

fuzzywuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking up RGB's price to match it at John Lewis.

6. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Go for pic frame 2 if you can, prog scan is well worth it mate IMO

7. fuzzywuzzy

fuzzywuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more q, what is the difference in picture quality on the pf1 vs the pf2? As far as i can tell on the forum, people keep talking about the differences such as PAL progressive or the styling or the problems of each model.

With two identical sources feeding into the pf1 and pf2, does the pf2 (zp38) really have an improvement in picture quality or is it just the same picture processing capabilities with the inclusion of progressive?