1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to buy Sanyo Z1 - final questions...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by davisa, Jan 3, 2003.

1. davisa

davisa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'm about to take the plunge to upgrade my 5 year old Sharp projector to the Sanyo Z1, probably from AV-Sales or Nexnix as recommended here.

Two final questions though.

1. How does it handle 4:3 material? I have a fixed 16:9 screen so what I'd hope is that it can function as a widescreen TV and show the 4:3 image in the center with black borders left and right. Is this the case?

2. I am keeping the ceiling mount from my Sharp (as detaching it from the ceiling will be a difficult job - it had to take 12 Kg!). As the mount is far bigger than the Sanyo, I'm planning on fixing a wooden shelf onto the old supports making my very own shelf mount. The projector would then sit the right way up, about 1 foot from the ceiling. The top of the screen is at this height also, so here is my question - Would the lens-shift (and/or keystone) functions allow me to project onto the screen and get a proper squared image. My old projector would be horribly squewed as it could only project from its lens upwards when upright.

Many many thanks for helping me get to this decision so far...

Adam.

2. Dirk Maggs

Dirk Maggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this projector two weeks ago and 4:3 stuff works really well on "Normal" setting (ie with black bars either side), and - like widescreen tv - if you are of a mind you can "Zoom" in to crop off top and bottom of image or select "Full" and have it stretched (with the usual squashed effect on actors etc) to 16:9.

Also the Sanyo gives an excellent monochrome image, no fringing or rainbows or colour cast, just a really good clear b&w picture.

Re ceiling mount I would guess you will have no problem from the set up you describe, the adjustable lens' up and down thumbwheel should give you enough leeway to get your image nicely framed, without need for too much keystone correction.

Good luck!

3. davisa

davisa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thankyou.

Projector now ordered :D

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    davisa,

might be worth checking the second point. If projecting up you have the legs to adjust as well as the lens. I wouldn't expect you could adjust the lens downwards that much. I'll check tonight if I remember.

Andy at av-sales might me able to help.

Jus.

5. davisa

davisa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks, however, the ceiling mount I'm using can be fixed tilted either up or down so I can use that rather than the projector feet to point the projector down a bit. I don't think it will need much.

Roll on Tuesday...

6. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

You'll be fine with squaring up the image.

The pictures going to blow you away.
    John

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,994
    I'll 2nd that:D

8. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the whole, I can concur with the positive comments regarding the Z1 - it is a great bit of kit. The one slight downside, however, is the deinterlacer, which is a simple line doubler. This causes line twitter and moire in a lot of films which, although present on CRTs, is much more distracting with a large screen and without the phosphor persistance. I am now looking at the Limit 9900SE ProgScan player to overcome this problem - 'only' £200 but I thought that my expenditure was over for a while!

_

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,994
    I notice very little difference in prog scan vs interlaced on the Z1....would be interested to hear if others have differing views and what DVD player's they're using?

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smurfin,

I have a Z1 and an old non-prog scan Tosh 2109. I noticed jaggies and screen door quite frequently. My brightview box arrived about a week after the projector. Using the brightview the jaggies are now nonexistant and screen door is very infrequent if I see it at all.

The first scene I noticed the jaggies on and used as a test was Monsters Inc. When Sulley is giving Boo back right at the end of the movie you get a few close pictures of sulley. His long thin strands of hair sticking out from the side of his head weren't straight but jaggied lines. Using the Bright view they look like hair.

I guess it could be that the brightview is cleaning up a less than perfect picture sent from my dvd player...I don't think so though.
    Jus.

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Anyone using a htpc with this pj?

12. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi

I would have to agree that the Z1 is a superb projector, much better than the AE100 I had for a while. I find the comment about "no colour cast" interesting though as the image is a little more green on the top left hand corner of my image, but i've seen quite a few LCD projectors and they all seem to suffer from this to a certain degree. It's only really visible on a light grey background though and only affects that one corner. Compared to my old AE100 which was purple in two corners and green in the other two it's much better!!

Unless my mind is playing tricks it also seems to get better the less the image shift is used.

13. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Guys

Also looking at getting one of these beauties now my TV has finally gone back [will be my first PJ]! I was just wondering if anyone had looked into prices for replacement bulbs?

Thanks!

14. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Talizker

Around the £400 mark.

Superb PJ by the way!

Gus

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,994
    Seems like I've only had it a few weeks and I'm up to 90 hours already:eek:

16. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Graham, I am currently working in the service menu to improve colour uniformity, I have effectively eliminated this problem on my machine.

I run my machine on an HTPC and must add its a quite a leap of prog-scan or normal player.

I have also had the panel out to clean stubborn dust.

There are more of my posts on AVSforum where the z1 ownership is more active, search uder ROne.

17. davisa

davisa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Well, it has just arrived!

Speedy delivery from Av-Sales. Actually, too speedy as it wasn't due until tomorrow, but luckily the wife was at home to receive it.

It appears to be the blue/silver version which has definitly got the wife's approval.

Cannot wait to get home. Seem to be coming down with a bit of a cough so might have to go early :D

Adam.

18. davisa

davisa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Fantastic + great + amazing, you get the picture I think :D

I've upgraded from a Sharp 380H which is now 6 years old. At the time it retailed for over £4000 and won loads of awards in the press.

Projecting onto a 90" 16:9 VuTec glass-beed screen, from about 11 ft.

I cannot get over just how much better the Sanyo is. Richer colours, far far brighter, less (much less) screen-door, better inputs, smaller, quieter, the list goes on and on.

A few niggles (of course)

- Too short a throw distance ;) Using my old ceiling mount which I'm going to have to bring forward a few inches to get the image to fit on the screen.

- power cord non-standard and FAR TOO SHORT. Why do they do this? I'll have to cut it to extend it.

- stupid naming of buttons on the remote. The Pronto will take care of that ;)

A very very very happy new Z1 owner.

19. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Glad you like it.

I hope your cough gets better:p

John