1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to buy plasma - which one?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PhilipEllis, Sep 24, 2004.

1. PhilipEllis

PhilipEllis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm a newbie in here and am on the verge of buying a plasma telly.

I'd like a 42" but the boss is giving me grief so I'll probably have to settle on a 37".

Two that I like the look of are the Hitachi 37PD5200 and the Panasonic 37PE30.

The Hitachi seems good for PC connection (if I ever got round to using it) and the res @ 1024 x 1024 seems high compare to the Panasonic. Does it really make that much difference?

I like the Panasonic because it has loads of SCARTs and a PC Card slot. Oh, and it's speakers are really neat.

I've read lots of good things about the Panasonic but not really seen anything much about the Hitachi.

Can anybody offer some good advice on these two or suggest others?

Cheers.

Philip

2. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a read-up on ALIS processing ... the Hitachi screens are not really 1024x1024

Given the minimal size difference I'd recommend a PWD6 plasma with the requisite input boards (but not a scart one)

Then again, the 37PE30 is a lovely thing :thumbsup:

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Philip, you urgentlyn need to convince the other 1/2 to go for the 42". It's amazing how they shrink when on the wall, and as you get used to them. Go to a mate's place after you have a 42, and take your magnifying glass to watch their 32 ws tv. Then again it won't be a problem, they'll all be round at yours! The price difference is minimal, go see some, get an in home demo, promise to cook for a year, just get one!

4. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I guess your not referring to the Hitachi MAW ;)

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Probably not, but hey any 42 will do the biz compared to buying a 37. The problem is likely to be that they all look so big with attached speakers. The whole idea is that 'minimalist' interior sesigner look, personally fing great ears on the side of my panel just don't do it for me, I need to see just the picture, the sound has to be as invisible as possible. Certainly not stuck on the side of the plasma, note plasma not pachyderm!

6. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Lol