1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to buy/install Sky+ ...advice please

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by JBrown, Sep 8, 2005.

1. JBrown

JBrown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had my house wired to accommodate Sky+ & distribute the signal around the house. Now for the tricky bit. Before I call up Sky & order my system I want to make sure that I buy the right product.

1.) What version should I get...is 80GB really necessary?
    2.) Am I correct in thinking that I don't need multi-room package?
    3.) Are there any subtleties that I should be aware of in connect Sky+ to DVD etc. (SCARTS...) and also as I don't have a DVD player yet, is there a model I should look at because of its features & compatibility with Sky+

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Since you haven't told us much about your circumstances, it's hard to give advice. You can pipe the RF signal around the house - you can even control the box from another room using "Magic Eye", but you won't be able to watch different channels in different rooms without multi-room.

80GB is roughly the same capacity as 20 to 40 VHS tapes, but much better quality !

All Sky+ boxes have 2 x scart and 1 x s-video connections.

3. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The thing about recording is that it doesn't change the amount of time you have to watch TV. In fact it probably reduces it since you now do other things because Sky+ will record what you want.
    I have found that if there is ever more than 6 hours of recorded material on my Sky+ then I end up deleting something because I just don't have time to watch it. If you watch about 2 hours of TV per day then having 16 hours of recorded material in one week means you have to extend your TV viewing time or you will just add 2 hours material every week.

4. JBrown

JBrown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I intend to install Magic Eye and artificially create multi-room with my spare Sky box.

What about the connections and DVD requirement if I want to transfer programmes onto a DVD player?

5. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    You connect your DVD Recorder to one of the SCART sockets on the Sky+ box and use the Copy feature on the Sky+ box to copy a recording to DVD. Some programs can not be copied though. You can identify programs that you may not be able to copy by the C in the program synopsis header.
    Recording live, off air, would be redundant because you have a PVR.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you mean "DVD recorder", then any should do, as long as they have a scart connection.