• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

About to buy first home cinema-need advice

arpca69

Standard Member
Hi everyone, I thought Id ask the experts for some advice before I make the plunge, as the more I know the less likely Il make a bad purchase

I was originally going to buy the onkyo hts5405 package but after being on the phone to a man from a particular shop, I was convinced to go for a seperate reciever and then a seperate speaker package despite it being my first home cinema

My budget is around £250-500 (it keeps on growing:() and the man on the phone mentioned the pioneer vsx421 reciever is very good for £200. However since I got off the phone I noticed on their website the sony str-dh820, which costs around £250 and won awards on what hifi

Pioneer VSX-421; 5.1; 130 W; 200 mV; 6 ©; 24-bit: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Sony STRDH820 Home Cinema AV Receiver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Considering the cost and quality of these 2 recievers and my lack of experience with home cinema, which of these recievers do you think I should get?

Also the man on the phone talked to me about speakers and said they have the yamaha nsp285 for £99, the tannoy sfx 5.1 for £200 and the boston accoustics soundware 5.1 se for £300

Yamaha NSP285 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds
Tannoy SFX5.1 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds
Boston SOUNDWARE XS SE Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

Should I go for the bostons speakers? Do you think the extra price is worth it or should I get one of the other cheaper speaker packages and save my money?

I hope to connect up my receiver and speakers up to my ps3 only, as I dont have sky or anything like that yet. Plus when watching just normal TV i.e digital on my panasonic plasma id rather not use the speakers as the TV speakers would be suffice.

I really appreciate any advice?
Thanks jeff

PSM1

Distinguished Member
If you have the budget I would go for the Sony 820 with either the Tannoy or BA speakers. The Yamaha speakers are supposed to be good for the money but feel spending more on the speakers if possible will give benefits. I would also look at the Onkyo 509 or Yamaha 471 recievers. If you can it may be worth waiting until the new year as manufacturers are already starting to drop their prices (the Denon 1912 can be bought for under £300 now) so there should be some good bargains then.
Why not use the amp for all viewing (including TV). The amp and speakers will sound so much better for all content and since you are spending good money on the system why not use it as much as possible. I find that due to the improved sound quality/clarity I can listen at lower volumes than I could on the TV speakers meaning it is better at night too. If complication of use is an issue then get a Logitech Harmony remote (would not be without mine now) as these are easy to setup and even easier to use.

arpca69

Standard Member
If you have the budget I would go for the Sony 820 with either the Tannoy or BA speakers. The Yamaha speakers are supposed to be good for the money but feel spending more on the speakers if possible will give benefits. I would also look at the Onkyo 509 or Yamaha 471 recievers. If you can it may be worth waiting until the new year as manufacturers are already starting to drop their prices (the Denon 1912 can be bought for under £300 now) so there should be some good bargains then.
Why not use the amp for all viewing (including TV). The amp and speakers will sound so much better for all content and since you are spending good money on the system why not use it as much as possible. I find that due to the improved sound quality/clarity I can listen at lower volumes than I could on the TV speakers meaning it is better at night too. If complication of use is an issue then get a Logitech Harmony remote (would not be without mine now) as these are easy to setup and even easier to use.

Thanks for the reply, the onkyo 509 and yamaha 471 look good but they are about £50 pricier than the sony and Im already so far over my original budget:rolleyes: So you think the sony 820 would be better than the pioneer 421, so Im going to ask about the sony when I call back later. Its surprising the man didn't mention the sony if its only about £30 more expensive, hopefully he has it in stock or can easily get one. I think I might go for the boston speakers as I get the impression they are significantly better than the Tannoy speakers. Fingers crossed he can give me a better deal to make my wallet not feel so empty lol

The reason I don't want to use 5.1 speakers for normal TV use, is because of concerns in terms of how much it costs to run these sort of speakers in electricity. Money is hard to come by these days. I wonder how much it would cost?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The cost of running is small. Under normal conditions it will only be pulling 200W or so (probably less) so it really will on be pence you are talking about.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom