about to buy an xbox 360 - help needed

bazza baz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi outthere,

I don't use this forum often but am looking for some kind expert to help me.

I am thinking about buying an xbox 360. I am not a massive gamer and in fact only really played PES 06 on my PS2 and on occassion picked up other games.

I do not know whether it is worth me spending extra and getting the xbox 360 premium pack with the hard drive or settle for the cheaper arcade package and its memory stick/card/thingy. I do have a projector and suppose the HDMI connections on the premium model would be useful.

I would initially plug my xbox into a pretty basic widescreen telly. Would I see the benefit of the superior graphics on it?

Finally, is the Wii better? I always think it is just for cartoon type games and that the more serious games would not be as good as on xbox or PS.

I know I am asking a number of questions but would really appreciate some guidance before spending £200 plus.

Thanks

B

for the sake of £40 buy the premium.

when you sign into live, you can download videos, music and more importantly, demo versions of games. try before you buy model!

the hdd is worth it

for note, i bought my xbox at launch, and i still have half the disk space left of my original 20gb so i wouldn't rush and buy a elite or a 120gb drive.

wii is fun but the xbox trounces it for proper games as you described.

gfx on a std tv wont be as good, as some things like text on cod4 are not as clear to read on a std telly.

wii's are great, but a different kettle of fish.
Good fun games, and great when you have a load of people.

For proper games the 360 is great.

Thanks guys you have helped me make up my mind to buy the premium xbox 360.

Cheers again.

The "arcade" version comes with the HDMI socket (just for clarification).

i wouldn't bother with a WII as personally i think they are for children and Females. If you like to play proper games like PES 2008 as apposed to Super Mario stupid characters football then you have to choose the Xbox or the PS3.
What drew me to the Xbox though was the online capabilities. I had a PS2 and started playing some games online with that but it was pretty poor. i did however realise that online gaming was the way forward.
Enjoy

i wouldn't bother with a WII as personally i think they are for children and Females.
Enjoy

Thats a very sweeping statement which tells me that you have no coordination and couldn't get below 56 on the wii fitness. You were constantly beaten at tennis by an woman and a child and had to seek revenge on FPS's on the 360 :rotfl:

But I agree.. the wii is aimed and marketed straight at the family market and it does it very well.

The 360 is more of a teen+ solo hardcore gamer console and does that very well. Its about as easy a comparison as a BMW M5 to a Nissan note.

Get the M5 :D

I'd give it a month or so if your going to buy one. Let the new Falcon chips circulate. granted it doesnt completley cut out the RROD on the previous consoles but it jdoes lessen the chance of it happening.

It's possible to ask if they have any in stock, and there is tell tale signs on the packaging it's the new chip (i'm pretty sure it says "175W" but im not 100%).

I'm fortunate enough to own both a ps3 and an xbox 360, I'll say now I prefer the xbox 360 mainly because of the games and xbox live (for multiplayer). but theres always that chance it will RROD.

Thats a very sweeping statement which tells me that you have no coordination and couldn't get below 56 on the wii fitness. You were constantly beaten at tennis by an woman and a child and had to seek revenge on FPS's on the 360 :rotfl:

Actually In my youth i was ranked in the Top 100 in the country at Tennis.
But now I prefer Boxing and Martial arts. I don't really see the point in swinging my arms about in my front room playing a game which actually looks and plays nothing like real Tennis/Boxing/bowling etc etc does.
My advice is to cut down on your pork life, get some exercise.:rotfl:

bigstu31s
"i wouldn't bother with a WII as personally i think they are for children and Females.":suicide:
Unbelievable...... My partners friends son had Blacksite Area 51 (his choice) for Christmas instead of Mario Galaxy because he thought his mates would call him 'gay' - I've tried to educate him in the error of his ways....

At the moment I'm playing Guitar Hero (PS2 version more than 360), Call of Duty4, and Castlevania on the DS - it's not all about the 360's visuals but GAMEPLAY......

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Wii's coming in April...!

bigstu31s
Unbelievable...... My partners friends son had Blacksite Area 51 (his choice) for Christmas instead of Mario Galaxy because he thought his mates would call him 'gay' - I've tried to educate him in the error of his ways....

At the moment I'm playing Guitar Hero (PS2 version more than 360), Call of Duty4, and Castlevania on the DS - it's not all about the 360's visuals but GAMEPLAY......

--snippy--

My god, thats probably THE saddest thing i've seen all week (no to be horrible or anything though... :D) :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It sure is some collection!

Chris :hiya:

bigstu31s
"i wouldn't bother with a WII as personally i think they are for children and Females.":suicide:

[

I agree and in my opinion those silly sports games on the WII have awful gameplay and visuals. I'm not denying that the WII has cornered the market and to be honest it doesn't have to compete with the 360 or the PS3 because its so different, but I am only giving my opinion.
Right i'm off the play some more RV6, i'll leave you to play your super Mario football:rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom