• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

About to buy a Yamaha RX-A810 AV Amp but.....

Racehunter

Standard Member
I could do with a little help regarding speakers. The amp would replace an old set up that includes a Sanyo HT-D47 AV surround processor feeding a centre and 2 surround speakers, with the 2 fronts fed through a Sony TA-FE230 amplifier. When listening to music, I simply use the Sony amp and front speakers and enjoy reasonable sound quality.

If at all possible, for the immediate future I would like to retain the front and rear speakers, adding a centre and sub. The front speakers are Wharfedale S500's (H 470 W 240 D 220 Woofer 160 dia and tweeter 50 dia Bass response tube 60 dia.) and the rears are Wharfedale Delta 30's (H 380 W 220 D 160 Woofer 160 dia and tweeter 60 dia) Old, I know but do I need to spend £500 on new speakers?

I would appreciate any advice as to my intentions and if it is possible to utilise these speakers, what should I look for in a centre and sub?

Thanks

Steve

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd probably suggest you consider replacing all your speakers rather than just adding a centre speaker and sub. The Amp is befitting speakers such as Monitor Audio's BX range, B&W's 684 Home Theatre package or Dali's Zensor speakers. I'd suggest a BK XLS200 sub.

If you cannot afford to replace all the speakers yet, buy another pair of Wharfdale S500 from eBay and use one as a centre speaker. Buy the BK XLS200 as your sub. At some point I'd seriously want to replace the speakers though .

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You really want your front 3 speakers to be the same make/model hence I would replace the front 3 at the same time if you are looking to upgrade.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom