1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to buy a PW6 - some final questions....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by taxman, Sep 5, 2004.

1. taxman

taxman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies in advance if these questions have already been answered elsewhere on the forum, just being a newbie to plasmas and not the most technically gifted person in the world I do not understand all of the jargon just yet.

I have finally decided to buy a Panasonic PW6 (all of the comments on this forum have convinced me this is the way to go given my max budget of £2.5k for the display, stand and all relevant extras).

My (hopefully straightforward) questions are:

1. I want a silver PW6 - does anyone know who currently has the best offers (inc delivery) and actually has them in stock?

2. I will be using it with my NTL digital cable box and my Sony DAV-S550 DVD/amp system and my PC. I am horribly confused as to what connections/terminal boards etc I need to get to ensure I get the best out of the PW6. Any guidance on this would be hugely appreciated (please try and use non-technical language to the max extent possible!).

3. I am slightly concerned about the fact that the resolution of the PW6 is only 852x480 (whereas other displays go upto 1024x1024). Should I be worried given what I will be using it for (i.e. mainly digital cable tv and DVD watching). PC use on the screen will be minimal only but would be nice to know if the image I get from the PC will be half-decent or not?

4. Are there any material downsides of the PW6 I should be aware before I part with my hard earned money? If so, should I be considering any other displays?

5. Is it worth waiting for the PW7? If so - why??

Many thanks

Rachel

2. Gof

Gof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hiya - having just researched and bought online myself here is some help from my research!

1. AJ electronics has the silver ones in stock at a very good price - £1946 i think off hand inc delivery and a scart terminal board.

2. Component is the best quality i believe. The vga port on the PW6 is recommended if you buy a scart-vga box from av-sales.
    Scart itself is the least favoured input although I have yet to test it.

3. Dunno mate- apparently its a kick ass screen with wicked blacks that people say is well worth getting - cant help on the res issue!

4. Looks great when i lift it out box to peek -nuthin i dont liek there!

5. PW7 - wait i guess if u want the latest and can afford the extra - from my limited knowledge tho if you get into waiting then you never buy it!

Good luck

:smoke:

3. Alex.

Alex.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While answering taxman's questions perhaps someone could also answer some of mine.
    I'm planning finally to get PW6 to be used with digital box (SCART) and PC (VGA).
    I'm actually using my PC to watch DVD. As it is said by almost everyone here SCART->VGA
    converter would be quite Ok for some PQ gain over the scart board. But this means for me having
    two VGA connectors to plasma.

So I have option of:
    - additional VGA board for plasma or..
    - usual (manual) VGA switcher, used very often in any PC installations,
    which is very cheap solutions indeed.

1. Will it work with the switcher and will it mean some PQ loss compared to VGA board?
    Hopefully not, as what could be inside the VGA board to improve quality?

2. If everything goes to plasma over VGA cables, where speakers are connected to then?
    Scart->VGA converter and the second pair - to PC?

3. Is that right, that having everything connected via VGA would mean also manual switching
    of aspect ratio at plasma remote control?

Thank you for any help,

Alex

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    digital point, in stock, silver £1898 inc vat and delivery & SCART board
    http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model.asp?ID=511

the ultimate in SCART switching, Quintro for £61
    http://www.tek2.com/beyondhifi/acatalog/B_Tech___BT945_Quintro__Ultimate_Scart_Control.html

RGB SCART plasma to VGA from av-sales £126
    http://www.av-sales.com/html/rgb_to_plasma_scrren_vga.html

and don't forget you need a quality VGA to VGA lead from ebuyer.co.uk for £5.50
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=21885

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    OK some answers. Last shall be 1st.
    Do we wait for PW7? Up to you, the improvements in picture will be incremental, not revolutionary, and it will have a distict price premium as a new product until supplies settle down, personally I'd go for a bargain PW6 while you still can. I've come to the point where I have no bargains left, I need the screens I have for booked installs. PW7 can't come soon enough now.
    VGA connections. It's perfectly possible to use a manual switch, equally it's possible to install a 2nd VGA board, and do it by remote control. Remember all VGA inputs can be configured for component video too, so a certain amount of system changing is already allowed for in this case.
    Material downsides. If you search around, you will see that some people pick up a flicker on the PW6. It's true, they all do it, just some people notice it and are irritated, most don't. Green dots in the blacks, there's another debated issue. Remedy, watch from more than 1.5m, keep the snot off the screen too. Power supply failures, yes, about 1 in 20 seem to fail. It's a warranty job, they do it pretty quickly, Panny never have any loan screens, takes anything up to a month to get the boys round. You can speed this up if you know how, a caring dealer is a help here. That's all the downsides, all trivial to me.
    Resolution, with video you'll never know, with PC it has an efficient scaler built in, but can never look as 'perfect' as a XGA display, but eminently viewable for a bit of web surfing etc. DVD from a PC I include as video.
    And yes you will have to switch aspects manually, unless you get one of those widgets in the sticky at the top of the page.
    Oops forgot the speakers, the panny takes sound for each input individually, 3.5 jack for VGA, on board 10w amp just about OK, speakers to fit way overpriced, but it will drive any speaker you wire up via spring clips, just about.

6. Alex.

Alex.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for answers. Somethings else.

>> it's possible to install a 2nd VGA board
    Does it mean that there is no default VGA input there? I'm quite surprised as also the dealer told
    me by phone, that I need at least one if I want to connect PC to it. Is there any connection type available without buying any board? Or at least one board is the must if I want to watch anything?

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    PW6 has 1 VGA connect wired into it.
    you can install a second, means exactly what they say.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It comes with 1 fixed on VGA port, configurable to YUV in the menu.

9. Redrob

Redrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to Hijack the thread Taxman, but I'm in a similar predicament.
    Have PW6 (came with add. Scart board with 21Pin Scart-RCA Convertor) has 1x Serial + 1x PC in. Want to connect:
    Tosh RDXS32
    Sky Digi
    Humax IRCI 5400 (2x Scart, 1x Serial, 1x RCA, RF in + RF Out)
    XBOX

Any suggestions as to what is best way to do this? PJClark1, MAW? Hardware & cable details would be helpful as I am a complete novice at this!!!

Cheers in advance,

Redrob