About to buy 28FX68. Should I? alternitives?

litkid_2000

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. First post on here.

I'm looking to get a 28" widescreen flatscreen.

I was going to go for the Sony 28ls36, but i think i have my heart set on the Sony 28fx68. My parents have the 32FQ75 with the 100hz - looks impressive- thus i wanted the 100hz, and a Sony

A few questions before i purchase this.....

(i)Are there any alternatives i should be considering? (I had a look at the ps12, but the blurring on it is pretty awful.) Prices no greater than £500 please (im a 'poor' student :p )

(ii)Im planning to do a price match with HOF (£499.99 with Total Digital). Since i work in HOF i get 10% off, and i also have £50 quid worth of vouchers, so i will be getting the fx68 for £399.99. Can i get this better?

(iii) since im price matching, HOF will not do the 5yr warranty, only the 12mth. Im not too sure about this- is this a reliable tv?

(iv) I have read concerns about 'flickering' with the fx68. having observed the set, it does appear to flicker quite a bit considering the 100hz. Do you forsee this as a major problem?

(v) I would be using a philips DTR 1500 digibox with it through RGB, and the sound through a Denon amp. Does this sound a reasonable setup?

(vi) how does it look with the PS2. I admit that i will be using the PS2 to use DVDs. Is this daft, anad should i consider a proper DVD player?

Thanks for the help guys and i look forward to the reply!

Litkid

right, lack of responces suggest that there ain't much wrong with this tv. But on the other hand, there can't be that much to shout about then?

I do have one last alternative- I have the option for a 28FX66 (floor model) for £350. Is this a better tv? I know tou can swtch between 50/100hz, and have PiP, both of which the fx68 dont offer.

Any further advice?

Right, last point before any replies :smashin:

I'm presuming the 28fx68 is the same as the 32fx68.. (only difference the screen)

32fx68 gets an excellent write up as far as i can see.

The only issue with the FX68 maybe the audio out.

I can't be certain, but I think it was this model which had an annoying audio out problem:

If you're using the phono outputs, you need to turn the set's internal speakers off, but each time the set is powered off/on, you need to repeat this. The way round this was to use one of the scart sockets to output the sound to an amp.

Are you certain your employer, HOF will give you staff discount in addition to a price match? I ask, because I have worked for a few electrical retailers - none of them would have done that.

Originally posted by simon1
The only issue with the FX68 maybe the audio out.

I can't be certain, but I think it was this model which had an annoying audio out problem:

If you're using the phono outputs, you need to turn the set's internal speakers off, but each time the set is powered off/on, you need to repeat this. The way round this was to use one of the scart sockets to output the sound to an amp.

Are you certain your employer, HOF will give you staff discount in addition to a price match? I ask, because I have worked for a few electrical retailers - none of them would have done that.

Nah, they wont give a staff discount with a price match. But i do have £50 of HoF vouchers, so i'll get the 28FX68 for £450. Dont think i will get a better price than that! ;)

Going down to get it today

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom