1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to Buy 1st Plasma need advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Popodopulos, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Popodopulos

Popodopulos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just about to buy a my 1st Plasma and need some help.
    Budget is about 3.5K. I have seen the Panasonic PWD6 deal at AV sales which includes scart board wall mount etc. for 2937.50

The problem is I am unsure how to go about setting this up if I was to buy it . I have looked at the Sony DAVS550 as an all in one system- is this advisable?

Senario: I have a Sky Box with SVHS output (most viewing would be on SKY) how would this connect to the sony DAV and screen ?What connections would I need? Should I consider another all in one system?

Please help!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The davs has reasonable video output, but the sound is like cat in a cardboard box in a room larger than a broom cupboard. It's usable, though, and will do pro logic 2 with sky. To connect to a PW6, it usually comes with a scart board, which (correct me someone if needed) auto-senses the input, so you can connect sky with a fully wired scart, and enable rgb for best picture. Better than s-video. The davs would connect via a lead to connect component video to the 15-pin d-sub, which you configure in the setup menu. Lektropacks do a cheap one, vandamme do a good one, probably others too.

But, for the 350 or so for the davs, you could visit richer sounds, get a tosh DVD, sherwood amp and eltax speakers that'll blow the davs out of the water. Or something along those lines.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    am i right in thinking the sony dav outputs component.

if so you could get the component board for the panny or cheaper if your not planning on connecting a pc to the vga on the panny , the 6 series panny can take a component signal througn its vga port. just a simple cable will do it.

does the sony have s-video switching if so use that for your s-video vhs.
    if not s-video board for the panny.
    sky scart board on the panny

all audio into the sony dav

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maw beat me to it again:mad: :mad:

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sorry mate! Seeen more DAVS than I care to, so thought I'd better. Hope you agree with advice?

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

The excellent Pioneer 433MXE is now available for £3300 from Sevenoaks S & V. Please note that this is a 768 resolution screen as opposed to the 480 of the PWD6. It also comes with a DVI input which would cost extra on the Panny. Hope this helps.

Steve

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Great screen for the money, classy picture. He might at the moment be better off getting a slightly cheaper screeen and spending more on the sources, or is that short term-ism?

8. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    to dutch i think the price you saw was without vat so it ups the price quite a bit

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Popodopulos

Have to concur with others re the poor sound from most 'all in one' systems.

If you want to retain a bit of chic styling and have a system that looks, sounds and feels good and is easy to upgrade piece by piece; and wont blow your initial budget you could consider the following:

Pioneer DV-565A - DVD-A player
    Pioneer VSX-C301 - AV amp
    KEF KHT-5001 - 5:1 Speaker System
    Panasonic PWD6 - Plasma Display

The Pioneer AV amp has three RGB SCART inputs - so you could run your DVD, Digibox and a Console as RGB into the AV Amp and then the AV Amp SCART RGB out to either:

A. Plasma SCART input board.
    B. Plasma HD15 VGA socket (using a JS Technology RGB2VGA converter).

Also budget for decent quality cables to hook your system together.

Best regards

Joe

10. Popodopulos

Popodopulos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the information! I will print this out and look at the various options over the w/end. Also has anyone had experience of hanging the Plasma on Stud walls ? Are they safe to do so? Thanks again for the info :)

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Find the studs, see if you can check how big they are. Some modern houses have walls composed of 2 sheets of plasterboard with a matchstick sandwiched in the middle. As long as it's a 'proper' stud wall made with 2x2 or bigger, you can usually bung some MDF over the plasterboard fixed to the studs. The plus side is that often you can get the cables lead down through the wall.