1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to build my first HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by shaithis, Jun 15, 2005.

1. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have been planning to turn the PC in my bedroom into a HTPC for those lazy mornings and early nights :boring:

Was wondering if any of the parts from my PC will be 'problematic' (i.e. Noisey, generated too much heat, not MCE compatible etc):

Accent HT400 Case w/VFD (On order - will house old PC)
    Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 (NForce3 Chipset)
    Athlon64 3000+ w/Ninja fanless cooler
    1GB Geil RAM (2 x 512)
    Enermax 365 PSU
    Plextor PX-708A
    Maxtor DiamondMax9 200GB SATA
    ATI Radeon 9700Pro
    WinTV Nova-T (For Freeview)

Regards
    Shai

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may wish to consider putting a passive cooler on the 9700Pro. Something like a Zalman would do, but it will take up a PCI slot too!

Dave

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Gfx card - if not comfortable with putting your own passive cooler on , look at the passivley cooled Sapphire 9600XT Ultimate or Passive 6600GT

Have you got details on the Ninja Fanless cooler. Eventhough fanless you'd still need good cooling (pref 120mm fans for really quiet) in your case

4. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The Radeon was the main item I was concerned with, I can't currently hear it, but then all I can hear is the main CPU fan at the moment until I receive the Nynja cooler :rolleyes: .....will get a passive cooler ordered up today.

The nynja cooler was this one.....have ordered an ultra-quiet 80mm case fan to play with based on what you say, for the cost its great peace-of-mind while I get a handle on the temperatures this is going to reach.

Now to try and get it all together before the weekend for its first run-in :clap:

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as it says monitor the temps closely. run the burnin test from www.passmark.com for about 10-15 minutes to check for stability. Personally I'd fit a 120mm fan to it and slow it down to an inaudiable crawl using a fanmate or similar.

What other case fans will you be using? With just the 80mm running at inaudiable speeds you will have heat issues

6. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be worried about heat, but the enermax PS seems to have a fan in the base and so will draw from arround the CPU heatsink. Using a PS with a single 120mm fan may be quieter. The Enermax looks to have a 92mm fan in the bottom and an 80mm exhaust.

If you don't plan to have anything stood on the case you could always add some holes to the top (with mesh screens to stop anything dropping in), convection cooling works well with the case temp.

7. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hmmm, that ain't what I wanted to hear :rolleyes: I was hoping that the PSU fan was going to be enough....only ordered the 80mm for peace-of-mind.

QuietPCs guide shows only 1 80mm fan.....are they that misleading?

8. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fanless CPU coolers only work if there is ALOT of air going being cycled through your case.

Your processor is good for about 90watts, HD about 15, same with ram, and around 50 for the graphics card. Thats alot of heat, and it needs moving. So during hard work it's going to need to shift a couple of hundred watts of heat easily.

I have a mini ITX PC at home which is running 24-7, peak power for this is less than 40 watts, and the case is still very warm to the touch (warm enough that it cooked a 2nd hard disk I tried to cram in).

Deffinately put some temp monitoring software on it, and don't leave it running on it's own until your happy with the temps.