1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to bite the bullet and make a purchase... Last minute Q's

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Zippster, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Zippster

Zippster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all

ive been reading this forum for a few days now(literally day and night ;) ) and have decided to buy the 42" Panny wd5 model but i have a few last minute questions which i cant find the answers to here so far ( i went through 400+ threads last night)

Im considering connecting this screen upto my dvd player (sony 725s) via the component connections, but i am wondering if i can still use the two scart connections on the back of the dvd player to daisy chain my other devices( ie sky+, games consoles)

If component out is used will the scart outputs be passed through the component out to the screen?????

does this make sence?

thanx in advance...

Andy..{newbie to the plasma world at the mo...}

2. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't answer your questions as I have some very similar ones myself.
    E.g. I have a Sony 525 DVD player which has RGB over scart. Does the Panny or Pio have RGB over scart inputs or can you get scart to BNC converters. This particular DVD player does not have multiple scarts so I'll be connecting my VCR and NTL digibox via scart.
    Any problems with these type of connections.
    I am a complete novice when it comes to display technology soi please be kind and explain in simple terms.

3. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, is the short answer.

What I have done, is use the scart connection from the SKY box to the DVD, and the scart from the DVD using a JS box to the screen. As you have component out, you do not need the JS box to do the same.

When chaining, remember that the previous units in the chain have to be switched off, ie the moment you switch on the DVD, the screen will take that source. If you switch the DVD off, and the SKY is next in line, that will produce the picture on the screen.

Regards,

PVR

4. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PVR,
    I believe that your solution works because you are using your scart out (through the JS box). I am not sure that it will work if you want to use your DVD component out.

5. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Saggio, RGB loopthrough only works on the Scart, the component output is disabled if you use the Scart RGB output.

There is no conversion between the two in the DVD player.

I use the RGB loopthrough on my Sony DVP-NS900 for my Cable box. The DVD Scart output then goes into the JS Box to convert to component and is fed to the plasma.

Kind Regards,

James

6. Zippster

Zippster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanx very much guys ! i think ill just use a rgb cable using the composite input for the sync'in on the plasma for now!

that way i can connect the dvd to the screen via the scart~rgb+sync cable then connect my sky+ box thru the other scart on the dvd

thanx again !

Andy...
    {ching ching...its on order}:p