About remote control + tv

dspit1664

Hope in right forum as q about remotes but in relation to my tv.
My question is why do I need to buy a remote control for LG tv i.e. 105-201M remote (which a quick search on Google) costs £30+ I want to use it to upgrade my firmware to the right firmware to enable me to access via usb div-x. Can I not just use my LG remote I have from my LG M236D-PZ or would that be far far too simple and get into the service menu and do what I want/need to do?

Bump

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

Why would a TV, or anything else, need two different remote controls?:confused:

Bumps not allowed.

Last edited:

dspit1664

Well that us my point however for my tv and remote to get the USB playing xvid all the thread(s) I found here said use this or this remote and press a certain combination of buttons and the buttons are not the same on all remotes. Comments in post on this forum suggested i would need to use particular remotes So my q was a little on the novice side perhaps. Basically I'm wondering what the steps were to do above but using the remote that came with my tv?

Thanks if you can show me or point me to a post/URL that can.
Daniel

Also why are bumps not allowed when I have seem bumps on other posts?

dspit1664 said:
Also why are bumps not allowed when I have seem bumps on other posts?

:)

dspit1664 said:

See
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-forum/1090594-lg-m2363d-pz-could-i-play-videos.html

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

This is something that's news to me, and the lack of replies suggests that it is new to everyone else who has looked in to this sub-forum recently.
As it's specific to your make of TV I suggest that you repeat your enquiry in that other sub-forum as there must be members there who do know about it.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Sounds to me like a case of a "service" remote control, used by the dying (dead?) breed of TV shop engineers to access hidden menus/features.
Sometimes a handset with an extra button is required to access service mode to prevent the user from making undesirable alterations to the TVs setup.

jack616

Yes - to access the hidden menus on the LG you need to use a different IR protocol (IE not the user controler)
Otherwise there is no use for a second one. Most universal remotes should be able to do both functions anyway and they only cost from around a £10.

That being said I dont know why you need this to upgrade firmware either.

dspit1664

Only reason to upgrade firmware is so that I would be able to enable divx via USB. It's needed to go in to service menu. Else can't get into service menu.

dspit1664

dspit1664 said:
Only reason to upgrade firmware is so that I would be able to enable divx via USB. It's needed to go in to service menu. Else can't get into service menu.

Not having much luck. Got a Uni remote but all commands on a previous thread are for specific remotes as buttons mentioned are not on all other remotes. :(

logiciel

Universal remotes do what the original remotes do so I didn't get why jack616 thought one would help.
What did they say in the other forum about your TV?

dspit1664

Right now that I have done some more reading about this I think I can answer both points.
1. LG seemed to provide this option I.e divx capability in one version of their firmware. They later disabled it. To get it depending on you firmware version on your LG you may either have to downgrade or upgrade your tv's firmware.
2. To get into the service menu in which you can tweak the setting to enable this it would appear you either need to get the service version of an LG remote or get a universal remote preferably one of the ones mentioned in other threads as others have, somehow, worked out how to use them and send the required IR commands to get into the service menu to then change the required settings to enable the divx function which is not by default available even though you may already have the right firmware version.

A right bxxxxy faff if you ask me however that's the way it is. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom