1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About Last Night

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Daneel, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    IMDB link

I found this quite amusing. To me, the key thing for a good romantic comedy is that by the end, the guys wish they could take the girl home and vice versa with the women. This films certainly scores in that department for the guys :) There were some nice lines and good chemistry between Demi and Rob. I have never been much of a Demi fan but this films shows me she mainly wasted the her talent.

The video quality is reasonable as is the sound. There are no major problems but it is a bit soft and altogether no better than acceptable.

Demi looks VERY nice in this film, why she had go for the boob job and other tweaks I'll never know. I watched St. Elmo's Fire last night and wasn't nearly as impressed (and no it wasn't just because Demi keeps her clothes on in that :p). The only other films I liked with her in them were Ghost and A Few Good Men. I do have a number of her films to watch though.

The only problem with this film is finding it at a decent price! The best R2 deal I found was £7.99 from dvd.co.uk.

2. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daneel, this is a favourite of mine too, an 80's classic ! I have the reg1 release, and have yet to meet someone who has actually seen this...........

3. 123456789

Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh, this film is a good attempt at reverting stage to screen.

It is based on the David Mamet play "Sexual Perversity In Chicago" (the whole opening sequence of the film - jerry can etc - is almost the exact wording of the play). This production was recently shown in London's West End with Matthew Perry (TV's Friends), Minnie Driver (Hope Springs), Hank Azaria (voice of 14 characters on The Simpsons) and Kelly Reilly (Theatre and Prime Suspect).

I went to see the play twice and loved it both times. The film tweaks the story a little (it isn't as shocking, not so much swearing or sexual references) to make it appeal to a wider audience. This loses some of the plot in my opinion, but generally if you haven't seen the play - you'll like the film. Not so much vice-versa.

Oh, and Matt Perry was a better Danny than Rob Lowe. As was Hank a better Bernie than Jim Belushi (it was him right?).

And so on, and so on.

4. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The opening monologue from Belushi in this film is an all-time classic. Nice to meet some fans.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The lead review in that IMDB link is pure tosh.

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I thought Belushi (yes it was him) was great, playing his part to a T. I knew it was based on Sexual Perversity, apparently they had to change the title because distributors refused to carry such a title.

The best thing about this film is still Demi though :D

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    However, with the exception of Belushi's opening monologue, the play and film have virtually nothing in common.

And to be honest, other than the fact that it contains a naked Demi Moore, I don't think the film has much going for it.

The play is amusing, but dated.

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I know it's no great shakes as a film but I'm a sucker for romantic comedies with good lead characters and a decent script. No, I'm not a woman, just a romantic :).

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    So am I, but "About Last Night" has neither.

If you want a likeable and actually funny "rom com" then check out "When Harry Met Sally", or "The Truth About Cats And Dogs".

9. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    We will have to agree to disagree then. When Harry Met Sally was ok, same with The Truth About Cats and Dogs. The main problem was I didnt find the leads as appealing as those in About Last Night even though the script was probably better in both.

My favs are probably Jerry Maguire, Martha meet Frank, Daniel and Lawrence and A Walk in the Clouds.

10. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That's good enough for me.

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

11. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has the play finished its run in the West End ?

12. 123456789

Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, went on the last night - Aug 2nd.