1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About hi-fi seperates in general

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by HighlandeR, Oct 9, 2001.

1. HighlandeR

HighlandeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Total newbie question...

But what is the best possible way too get very good quality sound.

Ive been told by Richer sounds, its best too get ALL SEPERATES, as in tuner/cassette deck/CD player/Amp/receiver etc etc.

Since im looking at the Nad 370 amp and its literaly scooped all the awards up for best sound performance whether its Rock or pop or even classical music.

Would it not be better too get a stereo amp and then addon processors like DD 5.1/DTS, rather then getting the Amp/reciever out there?

I wouldnt mind getting a Nad 350/370 amp and then at a later on date pick up a nice addon processor with DTS/DD 5.1 etc

Thats if thats the best thing/way too go about it, hey thats why im asking you lot your the experts :)

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    Depends on your budget. The NAD 350 is £300. Problem is that once you've got your NAD stereo amp and you then want 3 or 5 more channels of amplification, you have to get amps which match the NAD.
    Most people here have an integrated AV amp which costs from about £250 to £2500 (built in Dolby Digital & DTS decoder). A £1000 AV amp would probably sound better than the NAD.
    I personally would get the integrated AV amp.
    Beyond that you're looking at a couple of grand for the decent processor and a couple of grand for the decent power amps. Home cinema processor & power amp separates are expensive.
    If you get a decent DVD player then you don't need a CD player. The cassette deck and tuner would need to be separates. Unless you get an AV receiver rather than AV amp.
    Check out the various buying guides at the sites shown in the menu on the left. The FAQ may also help.

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: Spectre ]

3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi Highlander
    I would not assume (see Spectres Post) that a more expensive AV amp is going to give better stereo performance than a dedicated 2 channel amp even if it costs considerably more.
    You would have to listen to both to be sure.
    There is a cheaper way of having a separate stereo system AV processor and 5 channel. Get a Yamaha DSP e800 (3 amps and the processors for 5 channel output; DTS and 5.1)and the NAD to drive stereo/front main speakers.
    I would also be very wary of assumming that a DVD player will make an adequate CD player. Have to admit that I am using a DVD Player (Arcam DV88) as my CD source and it sounds excellent. I have a separate connection with Phonos straight to a separate Stereo Amp avoiding the AV amp and all the AV circuitry entirely. However most DVD players in my experience do not make very good CD players. Again the only way of being sure is to listen first if you can.
    As a general rule the more separate, built for the purpose 'boxes' you can afford the better the sound will be.
    Richard

4. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    PS
    Unless you have a vast collection of tapes I would not bother with the cassette deck. On a decent new system the limitations of what was always a limited format will probably become very obvious.
    PS2 you can get the Yamaha for around &265.
    Richard.

5. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi There,
    I have the afore mentioned Nad C370 and Yam E800 combi and am very happy with it, especially if you like music aswell. I have a dedicated CD player for stereo as most DVD players suck at this. The only thing missing is Pro II and the extra channels for the rear centre.The Yam can be had for about £230/40 but I'm sure they will bring out a processor that includes these soon..ish,if poss,if not for the money it's an excellent piece of kit and will give many hours of amusement, after all, it's only a film your listening to.
    Philmate. ;)

6. HighlandeR

HighlandeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for responses, I think ill stick with AV amps for now, cheaper + just as good :)