1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About buy a Sony HS20 - What hooks up to HDMI?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by devs, Feb 21, 2005.

1. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Okay from my understanding HD material looks great on this projector however I'm not sure what this is? Is it some form of DVDs a digital box...

Any info would be great as I'm trying to get things in place before I get it.

Thanks,

dEVS! ;)

2. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi-def will be with us via Sky next year along with HDDVD and BlueRay (both DVD type players but only HDDVD players will be able to play standard DVD's) :)

BlueRay and HDDVD are going to battle it out for our hard earned dosh. I think I will wait a short while before I decide which format to go with. Its going to be a VHS v's Betamax type war. I supect its going to be down to who gets the software we want out first.

You can get Hi-Def via a European satalite now but I dont think theres much on it.

3. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Top man many thanks jack daws for the detailed explanation. I read a few things on the net but could really suss out what they were on about...

Looks like its one for the future...

While I'm talking about kit mate - as you can tell I'm pretty new to all this and am yet to receive my first projector. I currently own Jamo DVR 50 with the surround A355 and sub speakers...

What would be a good way to upgrade my kit? I've just noticed this Harman Kardon avr 230 receiver: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185094 for sale and it read pretty well to my untrained eye. Would something like this be worth investing in?

Cheers mate,

dEVS! ;)

4. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    My advice is always go for seperates :thumbsup: As for the Harmon amp I have no idea. Have a look in the amp section of this forum, loads of people will be able to help there.

Just out of interest how much are you getting a HS20 for? Its a fantastic machine when fed with a HDMI signal :)

5. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi again mate - I'm not 100% sure about the price of the HS20 it will only be availave in a couple of weeks but I'm hopeing for around £850 - I'll let you know...

Just looking at your kit and you've got a 'Sony HS20 projector connected via HDMI to a Pioneer 868' out of interest would normal DVDs look better being fed to the projector via your Pioneer 868 and HDMI? How do you see the benefit of HDMI?

Thanks,

Devs.

6. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Hi Devs

The Pioneer 868 and HS20 linked via HDMI work extremely well together. I ran his combo for 6 months or so before upgrading to an HS50 and was very haooy with it.

868s crop up every so often on this forum. Keep an eye on the classsifieds. Or you could try the Denon 3910.

HTH.

7. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Great thats just what I wanted to Know Edgeyboy - Your on the ball! ;)

Off shopping....

Thanks

8. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    £850 for a HS20 (new) is a good price. Might be worth checking the ads section :thumbsup:

Yep like Edgeyboy says this combo is awesome. No artefacts, deep (ish) blacks overall a fairly realistic picture :smashin:

9. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thx Jack Daws I wish it was new for £850 unfortunatily not yet only around 170hrs.

Now to look into the HDMI players...