• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

About £600 budget Pana P42ST60B (refurb) or Sony KDL42W705?

jackw0ng

Novice Member
Hi all. My first post here.

Also my first real TV. hoping to get a new set with about £600 budget to get the job done.

I have never had a TV before. Mostly watching TV catch up via internet. Thinking to get a proper set now. Mostly for playing HD video via HDMI output from laptop or PC.

I was drawn to the plasma panel although knowing Panasonic has pull the plug in production. This is due to my main purpose of using the new set for movie. Plasma is known for its good response time and more natural colour.

However not sure this is a good time to invest in a sunset technology where manufacturers are focusing on newer LCD technology.

Any suggestion within the pricing range is welcome!

Ossie77

The ST60 is good enough to see you alright for a long time. The only reason why you should consider LED over plasma is if you have a particularly bright viewing area or watch TV mainly during the day.
Plasma is on the way out but don't be fooled by its demise! When Concorde was retired we all wondered if civilisation was in fact going backwards didn't we?! Same thing with plasma.
I have to say aesthetically the ST60 can't quite match the W7. I think Panasonic plasma's look best flat against a wall. This is actually quite an important factor as you will be looking at whichever TV you buy for 5 years+.
As an all round TV the ST60 plays DVD's sublimely, Blu rays sumptuously and handles SD very, very well. Motion is obviously a weakness of the W7. The step up W829 is supposed to be a better TV but it is £100 more expensive. If you love watching action films and sport then I would recommend getting a TV with good motion handling.
I always compare TV's to music. LED's are like catchy pop songs which you get instantly but plasma is more like a Pink Floyd album...it gets better the more you listen to it. Or something like that!

jackw0ng

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply.

My another concern about the refurb Panasonic Plasma is certainly about its life span.. I know these day plasma are quite sturdy. And Panasonic actually offer full 12 months guarantee on the refurb unit. But I am still hope I could get extended warranty for peace of mine. Obviously now they are pull the plug, the repair cost will just go up over time.

Back to the same question, should I go for the plasma for its movie playing capability or invest my money in newer LED lit LCD tech?

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom