Abnet post...

mjw123

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Although this poster needs some serious English lessons, deciphering between the lines he has a couple of valid points. To a new face it can come across occasionally that there is an element of a 'private members club' within the forum. I myself have been laughed out of school for daring to suggest that a non-DSLR camera could still give excellent results in certain situations.

Maybe not everyone is as forum 'savvy' as some of us on here so it may be a bit intimadating for them.

I don't agree with threads been closed so soon before people have the chance to add their thoughts either. Although it did appear critical of certain people on the forum, I think we're all big enough boys now to accept other people's views and defend our own opinions.

Sometimes when people have a greivance like this it can help others appreciate how people might percieve them on occasions.

His post wasn't the most constructive I agree but he is entitled to his opinions and don't think his manner was overly offensive.

I closed the thread for the reasons I gave, it had little to do with the forum subject matter and was a kind of personal attack on Sean. Thats not what the forum is for in honesty. Everybody is entitled to their opinion but posting a 'confrontational' post does not really help things.

I think to any new face, any forum seems like a little bit of a 'private club' but it's not exclusive and if people come along and join in sensibly then anyone is welcome.

Don't upset the moderators mjw, it doesn't go down well. The fact that others may (DO) agree with you is neither here nor there really.

:laugh: @ sorbiegunner

Oh, come on. Anyone would think i'm a dictator or something. I'm just trying to keep things real. I'm sure neither Mr Jones or longley c are particularly impressed with the backlash to their postings and the way in which it came across. This is a friendly old place, lets keep it that way eh.

This is a friendly old place,
I think that was the main point of contention, some people obviously find it more friendly than others.
I read the forum because if you read between the lines there is a lot of useful information to be had, I bought my camera on the basis of info garnered from this forum.
On the other hand I find it far from friendly, quite snobbish and very cliquish, and it would seem I'm not alone, so laugh at me if you like stevegreen, and ignore my comments along with mjw123's and the cat's (on another thread) comments and continue to think that you have a lovely, friendly forum.

stevegreen said:
I think you took the laugh out of the context that it was meant to be honest.
That sentence was brought to you by the man who gave you..
I am having difficulty reading it due to the punctuation
Joking aside, it's how the forum is percieved by me, and, it would seem, others.
Facial expressions etc. cannot be judged from a web page so if you type in (laughing at smiley) @ sorbiegunner that's what people reading will assume you meant, which might lead them to think you are being less than the friendly person you claim to be. OK, you say that I took it out of context, but you didn't explain the intended context.

Well as a newbie to the photo section I've not encountered anything I would call 'elitist' or 'private club'.

I too had some questions on software and was answered with options ranging from free software to Paintshop. I eventually reported on what I bought and the price if it helped others.

As an odd aside my thread was referred to in the response given to Abnet.. which I though was quite apt.

I just think it takes all sorts and a little give & take.

Steve

sorbiegunner said:
Joking aside, it's how the forum is percieved by me, and, it would seem, others.

I think this point is very well made. I read the forum a lot and post a bit but do feel like other posters that there are 9 or 10 in a select private group and then there are the rest of us.
The perception of it being a friendly forum is clearly not one shared by everyone.

Well, I am realitively new to this forum and since joining I have purchased a 20D thanks to the advice from Seany, stevegreen, Johndm and many others! I have to be honest and say that I find it far from snobbish! I actually find it quite personal! You just have to go to some off the bigger forums and realise that you are just a number and really havent a hope of making a link with anyone!

So, to all you moderators, I say thanks for making this forum as informative and friendly as it currently is!!

. I think perception is all relative A joke made between 2 members of the forum could be percived as unfriendly to the newer members.
But I am by no means saying that friendly jokes and jibes should stop.

I have posted things on threads and been ignored on them, what the hell, if you dont want my advice or cant answer a question I have asked, never mind, it wont stop me from posting :)

I don't suppose anybody knows he's been banned before, i don't suppose anybody knows that i've been pm'd about his sales threads. Pretending to ask for Advice when the main issue is to sell his items. He nearly ended up with a life ban last time. I changed his thread title to "Help please" It originally said: ROCCIO FOR SALE-help please:

Anybody who deosn't think it's a friendly forum, i'd be puzzled as to why they used it, when they're are so many out there. Vote with your feet if you feel that way. Not what we want but you are very much in minority in feeling that way.

MattB1 said:
I think this point is very well made. I read the forum a lot and post a bit but do feel like other posters that there are 9 or 10 in a select private group and then there are the rest of us.
The perception of it being a friendly forum is clearly not one shared by everyone.

I'm going to form a super special group that's even more secretive than the blood line of JC. It will be so select that only I'm allowed in it. In fact it will be so secretive that I wont even know that I'm in it and even if I find out I shall never be able to tell myself......How's that for super duper secret group selectivity :eek:

......blimey, I wonder if I am in it or not :rolleyes:

ive always found it friendly since i joined, very welcoming, theres lots of banter between members, and theres a few long running jokes and stuff.

for example the MJW compact arguement, i only post "buy a DSLR" for a laugh most of the time, assuming it was taken as a joke.... maybe it wasnt perceived as such :rolleyes:

as for abnets posts, i was offering my advice, he seemed to have completely discounted photoshop elements without even looking into it. its like "well i discounted the jewish faith because well my mate dave said it wasnt all that good" without first looking into it. ok its good to search around for alternatives, however i got the impression the entire content of the post could be condensed into "ive got a copy of photoshop elements 2.0 for sale on ebay" similar with the roccio thread.

as for the fact that he was apparently offended by my joking nitpicking at part of his post, when he then goes and calls me(its all sooo true :( ) and seany ugly. people in glass houses shouldnt.... (leave cheese on the side in hot weather..)

oh and mjw123, want to buy a Dslr? :smashin:

technofan said:
I'm going to form a super special group that's even more secretive than the blood line of JC. It will be so select that only I'm allowed in it. In fact it will be so secretive that I wont even know that I'm in it and even if I find out I shall never be able to tell myself......How's that for super duper secret group selectivity :eek:

......blimey, I wonder if I am in it or not :rolleyes:

you gonna convert yourself to A-sexual so no one contaminated your gene puddle as well..... :rotfl:

seany said:
Anybody who deosn't think it's a friendly forum, i'd be puzzled as to why they used it, when they're are so many out there. Vote with your feet if you feel that way. Not what we want but you are very much in minority in feeling that way.

Well there you go "If you don't like it, p*ss off" that's the sort of attitude I was trying to allude to.
Thank you seany for illustrating the point so succinctly.
By the way you have no need to be puzzled as to why I use it, as I explained why further up this thread.

Read the part again the part where i said it's not what we want :rolleyes:

But stuart himself questions people saying when run the forum down. It is a frindly place and how you feel is in the minority i'm afraid. You've had a moan about a thread you don't even know what was about or took part in

It needed moderation. it's not the first time the guys neded it on here and other sections.

You've had a moan about a thread you don't even know what was about or took part in
I have never mentioned the threads in question (apart from pulling out the quote from stevegreen about punctuation, which was meant as a joke). I was speaking of the forum in a more general sense.
As for being in the minority, how can you tell?

lol

just a general lol, not in anyones direction you understand, in the years ive been moderating car forums and running my own photography forum this type of thread has come up in several different ways..it all comes back to the very valid point that was made about not being able to see peoples faces when they type.

As for the moderating, its ok, ive done worse! but it keeps the forum flowing, so its working, now go and have a look at the great pictures im about to post and tell me how good they are!

mattym said:
lol

just a general lol, not in anyones direction you understand, in the years ive been moderating car forums and running my own photography forum this type of thread has come up in several different ways..it all comes back to the very valid point that was made about not being able to see peoples faces when they type.

As for the moderating, its ok, ive done worse! but it keeps the forum flowing, so its working, now go and have a look at the great pictures im about to post and tell me how good they are!

I bet they're rubbish :devil: :rotfl:

mattym said:
lol

yeh the moderation on the forum is a damnsight better than ive seen elsewhere on other forums, its not over moderated like someforums, its not moderated by idiots like on others, its fine.

*goes to look at matts pictures*

and a nice incestuous (that spelling doesn't seem right) talk about how good or bad the forum is not going to make the forum seem friendlier!:D

I think all forums tend towards the "unfriendly" at first, but that's the social dynamic. They are by nature a place where experts go to chat and newbies go to ask for advice. There will always be the potential for "tension" here.

Anyway as a new joiner to the forum, I did think abnett seemed a bit rude and a bit strange so seems fair on the part of the moderators, though I don't think his behavious is as bad as someone else on "Entertainment PCs..." recently who seemed upset that no one was prepared to spend £500 to buy a box so they could lend it to him...

Cheers

Rajiv

mr jones said:
oh and mjw123, want to buy a Dslr? :smashin:

Nah - you'r alright thanks mate - will have lovely Oly 7070 shortly for a ridiculous £180 from the states.....:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom