1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abit NF7-s V2 advixe required.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pulsar, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello,

I have been using this great mb for a few months now, and I am very happy. On Tuesday I shall be getting my new DVD-R drive, and I am trying to think of the best way to connect it up.

At the moment I have all 4 IDE connections used with 2 HD's, a CDRW drive and a DVD ROM drive. If I have to, I will sacrifice my CDRW drive, but that is faster than the CD write speed on teh DVD-R, and I want to have 2 DVD readers for those occasional 2 disc DVD's that you get.

I have noticed on the mb that there is a serial connection. Also in the mb box, there is a IDE to serial converter. What I need to know is; can I connect the 4 IDE devices and 1 serial device at the same time?

I hope I have made myself clear, and thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Rob

2. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    yes, you can:) be careful if its a maxtor hdd though as they dont tend to mix with the sata adaptor to well:(

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi James,

I hoped it would be you to answer, as I have seen you discuss the NF7-s before. Here are the drives I have:

-80 GB Seagate Barracuda. This drive has the windown install on.
    -120 GB Seagate Barracuda.
    -LG DVD ROM Drive
    -TDK Cyclone CDRW
    -Soon to have a Sony DVDR

My priority is to have the 80 HD and the Sony DVDR on the fastest busses.

What config do you suggest.

Cheers

Rob

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    well as far as i know, only hdd's can go on the s-ata controllers. That's not a bad thing though, because the ata-133 controller provides more than enough bandwidth for any drive you are likely to connect.

To be honest, i dont have much experiance with s-ata because my hdd is a maxtor so i'll be damned if im gonna risk data corruption lol

The best thing i can suggest is to head over to http://forum.oc-forums.com and ask there. they have a huge abit fanbase there (i'm one of them;) ) and you can be certain you'll get all the info you need there:)