1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abit NF7-S mobo problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Hawklord, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I'm having a problem with my new motherboard purchased a couple of weeks ago. It has an intermitent power down with alarm problem. I have posted my problem on the overclockers website that gives details of what I have tried so far:-

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99709

Please if you could take a look and give me any more pointers that I might be able to try as I'm at a total loss of what to do now.

thanx:smashin:

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    It would be worth posting on the Abit forums as well.
    Abit USA Forums
    There are quite often replies from Abit themselves.
    Good luck

3. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    happends to me too. mine was the psu. ive looked at the specs for your psu and depending on what model you have, the 12v line is rated for either 17 or 18 amps, BUT, chieftechs arn't know for their quality (or the truthfullness of their ratings).

i tried 4 different psu's on mine. 2 350w no-namer's, a 400w q-tec (avoid like the plague - there's a reason why they are so cheap!), and what im using now - a cheepo 300w "firepower".

All of the other 3 psus were rated at below 15 amps on the 12v, while this is rated at 17 or 18amps on the 12v rail (it has a lower 3.3v and 5v output though), And this psu is rock solid for me.

one thing you should realise, is that the nf7 is one of the few boards that powers the cpu with the 12v rail, not 5v like 95% of the others. That means you need at least 18amps available on the 12v rail.

as for good power supplies? enermax, fortron, sparkle and antec make excellent psu's - don't get anythign else.

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I read most of the posts on the abit chat room mentioned in a previous post. Although a good PSU is a must it doesn't appear to affect the symptoms ppl are experiencing. Some have really good 450watt psu's whereas some are making do with <=300watt. Most pll have replaced their HSF which seemed to cure the problem. I have done the same and haven't had any issues (as yet). I've had 3dmark2001se on loop for two hours without problems. Cheiftec power supplies are one of the makes the abit forum suggest you use. I've had the same case powering two other systems prior to this one (one an nf2 board) without any problems atall. I'm suprised abit released this board with all the problems ppl are having. Still I'm sure yet another bios upgrade will be along soon. This is my first abit board (I usually go with msi) are there usually teething problems with their boards ? I would be very reluctant to use them in future if that's the case.

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    trust me on this. i had the exact same problems as you. it would shut down without warning. And as i said, i tried two 350watters and a 400w and this 300w im using now is the only one that will power the board.

now this may not be your problem, but i know it is a problem with nf7's.

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Suggest me a PSU then please. One thats likely to do for the next few years say a 450Watt. Thanx

7. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    ive just ordered an enermax 365w. ill tell you if it works with my board or not.

8. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi Guys,

Just to say that I am using a 430 watt Antec True power, and I have not had 1 problem.

Rob