Abit Il90-mv Hdmi Output??? Help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jamcyrix, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Jamcyrix

Jamcyrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I've just built a new Vista Media Centre PC and when connecting it to my 26" Samsung via HDMI-HDMI, I can't seem to get anywhere near a decent resolution. The picture is either too big or way too small.

Any suggestions guys??

Thanks

2. tim_kay

tim_kay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We had the exact same problem with this board. There is an F command shortcut which you can hit @ bios POST which switches from vga/hdmi connection, this also if I remember correctly re-scans, and can output @ different res. We found when installing it looked ok, then in O/s it was a tiny box, you need something like powerstrip to then stretch out the image if your display doesnt shake hands correctly, as so to speak. Some dispays will max out and some won't.

3. Jamcyrix

Jamcyrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Alt-F4 switches between VGA and HDMI, but I've had no luck whatsoever shrinking or stretching the image with Powerstrip - Just keep getting 'Out Of Range'.

Cheers

4. rcadey

rcadey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    what model Samsung are you on?
    if its an LE26??? then the HDMI input is designed to only take a certain range of input resolutions - even those that it is designed to work with it will apply overscan.
    The intel drivers for the abit board don't allow any kind of compensation so you are stuck with an overscanned picture which works okish for Media Center and DVD playing but not for a PC desktop

you'll get much better results using a pixel mapped VGA output

rob

5. Jamcyrix

Jamcyrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Rob

Yeah, it's an LE26.
    Any advice on "using a pixel mapped VGA output"?

Cheers
    Jamie

6. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Eek! That doesnt sound good! I was literally about to place an order for this MB!

Have you tried the newest driver for it? Most seem to be new in the past 2 weeks!

How did you get on installing to SATA? Via a floppy or slipstreamed CD? I'm a bit concerned about this as I dont want to start frigging about with floppy drives!

7. rcadey

rcadey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    use a VGA cable from the VGA out on the MB to the VGA in on the TV
    select 1360 X 768 output resolution
    if necessary do an auto adjust on the tv (via the TVs PC menu)
    should be as simple as that

HDMI to HDMI is really for viewing video/TV at the moment not a PC desktop, the TV manufacturers still haven't got their heads around the fact that people might want to connect their PC in this way

rob

8. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,537

/me agrees. Stear Clear of HDMI output from PC's unless you're prepared to do a lot a testing and sending equipment back for replacements.

9. tim_kay

tim_kay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rcadey you jogged my memory.

We had the same problem with this board, but eventually found the solution. The 960 GMA drivers that come shipped with the board do not support HDMI to go full screen, we found another set, which was either on Abit forum or Intels site which supported HDMi to high resolutions.

Sorry I can't be anymore helpful, we found its a great board, but not HDCP compliant for Bluray so stopped development.

The re-size you mention won't stretch the image either.

10. rcadey

rcadey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    tim

its not the drivers its what the TV does with the signal - unless the TV gets a standard HDMI signal (1280 X 720 or 1920 X 1080) it doesn't really know what to do with it. For the standard def resolutions it overscans because it assumes it is getting a signal from a consumer electronics video device.

better drivers might be able to fool its processing but you are really fighting a losing battle (scaling in the pc then rescaling on the TV)

some very new TVs (last 3 months) are starting to give better control (or less control to the TV) but these are few and far between.

Interesting to hear of your experiences with Blu Ray and HDCP. Abit claim it to be complianthttp://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=117247&highlight=hdcp+compliant
    have you found this not to be the case?

The re-size is for the vga input only and correctly positions the vga output on screen to perfectly pixel map

rob

11. tim_kay

tim_kay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would completely agree, however I can confirm that the driver update most definately offered a much large choice of resolutions, include 1280/720, which fits much better than the 800x600 which the user above is experiencing. STrange I know, but 100% confirmed, and yes Abits claims for compliance are fine, however trying to get software to shake hands on the HDCP with the GMA950 is at this point impossible, unless you use Any DVD, of course!

12. paul_warren

paul_warren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've got this motherboard in my HTPC - and I'm using the VGA connection - luckily my Panasonic TH37PX60 supports 1:1 pixel mapping so the picture for the desktop and videos/tv fits perfectly! :)