1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abbey Road

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by CrispyXUK, Aug 18, 2004.

1. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Just got this and...

what the fudge? how good is this!? surely they isnt a better album buy the beatles? if so please tell me!

:clap: :rotfl: :D :thumbsup: :eek: :zonked:

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Oh fek wrong forum :blush:

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,328
    We can see you're clearly excited :laugh:.

4. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    hehe I get distracted I cant stop listening to the damn album

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Moved from Movies & TV :D

[Move by Garrett]

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Maybe not, but it has a lot of equals

Help
    Rubber Soul
    Revolver
    The White Album
    Sargeant Peppers Hearts Club Band
    Please Please me
    With the Beatles
    Hard Days Night
    Help
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Let it Be

Pick any of them

7. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    nah, the 2nd side of Abbey Road is just about perfect ; I reckon the best 20-odd minutes The Beatles did.

Now, if Maxwell and Octupus had been left off and replaced by some of Harrison's efforts that later went on to the "All Things Must Pass" album, it would be a bonafide classic.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Is this the one of them walking across the road - I know the back cover layout person who has the original artwork

9. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Yes a great album. The SACD and/or DVD-A release may be out October/November with both stereo and 5.1 mixes :clap:

Revolver and The Beatles (White Album) are as good as Abbey Road. Don't discount the first 4 albums as they are great to listen to, especially if you've got the stereo mixes. :thumbsup:

10. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    were did you hear this news of the SACD discs?

11. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Crispy

I could be wrong here but.......when Alan Parsons was being interviewd re: the SACD of Floyd's DSOTM he refused to confirm or deny that he had worked on a multi channel mix of Abbey Road. It has been reported that a multi channel mix has been done as well as a new stereo mix.

EMI every year have a "Project X" scheduled for the Beatles in the hope that Apple will give them something to put out.

A few years ago EMI put together a superb mono edition of Sgt.Pepper along similar lines to Floyd's Piper At The Gates but Apple vetoed it and it never was released. It came in a box with a black & yellow Parlophone label as well as a badge. :thumbsdow

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I hear that the Red & Blue albums are remastered is this true?

13. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Crispy

All the albums were re-mastered and re-mixed by George Martin in the 80's for the CD issues. Some of the mixes didn't go down to well (like Dizzy Miss Lizzy) while others did (Revolver). All the vinyl re-issues now have these digital masters.

In the late 90's we had the Anthology DVD's and again the tracks were re-mastered and a good job was done, in my opinion. Just compare Got To Get You Into My Life and you'll see what I mean.

The Yellow Submarine Songtrack was also re-mastered and again sound superb although a friend of mine isn't so convinced (especially It's All Too Much).

The 30th Anniversary edition of the White Album wasn't re-mastered however. All we got was new (fantastic) packaging and the tracks were properly indexed.

What we really need is the whole set re-done for SACD/CD hybrid discs just like the superb Stones re-masters on ABKCO. For purests you could easily put on the original stereo and mono mixes along with the new stereo mixes and even surround mixes for certain albums. I suppose DVD-A would be a good medium for that.

All of Macca's solo stuff has been re-done for either SACD or DVD-A and will probably be out in 2005.

14. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Disagree with the person who thought the first two albums (Please Please Me and With the Beatles) sounded great in stereo.

Had these for many years on vinyl in stereo. These were not recorded in true stereo and consist only of vocals in one channel and instruments in the other. The mono mixes were much better.

It should be borne in mind by EMI that when reissuing all the Beatles material in a high-def format, that the mono mixes should be included too. The Beatles personally supervised only the mono mixes of their albums up to and including The Beatles (aka The White Album). They had little or no interest in the stereo mixes up until that time and left those in the hands of the engineers. Lennon and Harrison for example have both commented in later years on the fact that the mono version of Pepper is the definitive mix of the album.

Indeed when the red and blue compilations were first released in the '70s, John Lennon was reportedly shocked on hearing some of the stereo mixes for the first time. He was particularly scathing of Revolution.

There were also quite a few tracks over the years that had differences between the mono and stereo mixes, not only in terms of the actual mixing but in terms of different instruments, openings, placement of guitar breaks, etc.

Then there were minor differences between UK and foreign releases of some tracks, Penny Lane with an extra trumpet passage tagged on the end, All My Loving with three hi-hat taps at the intro, etc.

In the '70s Capitol in the USA went some way to addressing this by releasing their own Rarities collection which contained many of these anomalies, mono mixes etc, but was by no means a complete mopping up operation.

The multi layer capacity of SACD would allow us to have mono and stereo mixes (forget multi-channel please!) and an extra "rarities" disc could mop up all anomalous tracks.

This is an opportunity for EMI/Apple to do this right and it should not be missed.

15. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    And while you're at it EMI, any chance of a CD/SACD release of The Beatles Live at The Hollywood Bowl? The only official Beatles vinyl offering still yet to appear in digital format anwhere on the planet.

And welcome to the life changing experience that is Abbey Road Crispy! :thumbsup:

16. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Pauley

The tracks were not recorded stero or mono but on either 2,3,4 or 8 tracks and then either mixed into mono or stereo.

Please Please Me and With The Beatles are NOT electronically enhanced stereo, but proper stereo mixes. Yes, some tracks were mixed with the vocals on one channel and the instruments on the other right up to Rubber Soul and again on the second half of I Am The Walrus (bizarely) and nearly on Savoy Truffle (White Album). Just listen to the true stereo mix of This Boy (Canandian single and Past Masters Vol.1) and you'll hear what I mean.

The hi-hat intro for All My Loving was available on the EMI/World Records boxed set from the 80's and the trumpet ending vesrion of Penny Lane was initally only on the US promo single and later on the US version of the Rarities album.

There are many differnt mixes in both mono and stereo from around the world where different takes were used, mainly cropping up on the US releases. Tomorrow Never Knows on the first mono UK pressings of Reveolver has a different mix as does the US version. This was mainly down to mixing the tape loops Macca made as these were mixed in "live" to the main consol.

Sgt Pepper nearly came out in the 80's in a lovely boxed-set but Apple pulled the plug. Check out :

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/pepperbox.htm

There is also rumours that Capitol is to put out 24 bit re-masters of the first four US albums with both the US stereo and mono mixes. Whether Apple will allow them to do so is another story......

17. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    hehe, quite Impressed with MMT as well now :)

18. arcamalpha

arcamalpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

That is the one, the conspiracy theory at the time was rife, paul mccartney was dead, hence him being the only barefoot beatle in the picture, also the registration of the vw beetle, 28 IF, he was 27 at the time, and if he had lived, he'd have been 28, hence the 28 IF :laugh:

19. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I should have said "mixed" in true stereo of course. No, they weren't electronically enhanced stereo, but neither were they proper stereo mixes in the accepted sense of the term. They were two discreet and quite seperate mono channels with no overlap at all between the two for stereo effect.

Later albums had vocals located in only one channel as well, but had some stereo central imaging as well with instruments located across the soundstage. The first two albums did not, which is why they sound so much better and have more impact in mono. Having said that, it is a mystery why "A Hard Day's Night" and "With the Beatles" were released in mono on CD as these were "proper" stereo in their original vinyl incarnations.

As for "Abbey Road"

The theory goes:

John in white - the doctor
    Ringo in black - the undertaker
    George in denims - the gravedigger
    Paul barefoot - the dead man

Paul is also out of step with the other three (pretty symbolic of what was happening in Apple at the time!).

The 28IF thing on first appearance doesn't work. He was born in June 1942 and "Abbey Road" was released in September 1969, therefore at the time of the album's release, if the number plate was to have the significance it was supposed to have it should have been 27IF.

But one theory that has been put forward to explain the one-year difference, is that in certain Indian beliefs the person is counted as being one at birth, and of course in 1969 this was hot on the heels of The Beatles' flirtation with all things Indian.

Anyway - it's all a larf as he wasn't dead was he?

20. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I wonder what that cover would be worth?

21. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Re: Paul is Dead

If you do a Google search, you'll come across plenty of excellent websites detailing the theories behind the hoax.

....One and one and one is three....

22. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The cover of "Abbey Road"?

Not much, as it's never been off catalogue as a vinyl pressing. You can order it from any record shop as is the case with all The Beatles' original albums.

23. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Pauley

If you want PPM, WTB, AHDN and BFS in stereo then let me know. I've got them on pristine 70's Japanese vinyl (the Apple EAS releases) :cool:

24. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Thanks Kenny, but have these on stereo vinyl already.

Just hope with the SACD mixes we get HND and BFS in stereo.

25. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What the original cover artwork?

I thought it was in my bosses loft or office!

He did it as a holiday job

26. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Oh the actual original artwork!!!

Well yes, that's different!

Quite a few shillings I'd say...

27. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Pauley

Compare Nowehere Man on Rubber Soul to Yellow Submarine Songtrack to see what a re-mix can do ;)

28. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Oh I know - there's definitely more to be done with this material for a hi-def release.

Even a lot of the earlier stuff was done on four track so there's a chance to correct some of the bizarre panning choices on the stereo soundstage.

I do hope George Martin does a remix and not just a remastering.

29. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    When?When?When?When?When?When?When?When?When?When? :)

30. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Who knows?

As with all Beatle projects these days we'll find out about 5 minutes before the release I suppose.

Scandalous that The Beatles works of all the music out there hasn't had a decent digital overhaul.

Check out the Yellow Submarine Songtrack - the one that consists of all Beatles songs (as opposed to the soundtrack - half Beatles / half-orchestral) for an example of what we can expect from a remastered catalogue. Some duplication of tracks with the albums you own already, but well worth it for the tracks recorded for the movie, including two knockout psychedelic Harrison tracks "Only A Northern Song" and "It's All Too Much".