Abba Voyage - would you pay to see holograms?

Wonder how popular a show like this would be with Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr playing live alongside avatars of John Lennon and George Harrison?
It would be different in that not only are all of ABBA still alive, particularly the main song writing team, and, they have new material. A Beatles thing would still be very popular no doubt, but at things stand I’d say the ABBA Voyage scenario is still closer to the real thing than it would be in the case of the remaining Beatles doing something similar.

Last edited:
The Beatles are something that would be a hit, especially in Liverpool. There's a few tourist attractions related to them, and something like that would be a competition killer for either the Beatles Story or the Beatles Museum. With something like that, there's also a lot more they could do with it, and you could be given a tour through the museum by the band themselves, create Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields and even the Yellow Submarine (yes I know it was done for the International Garden Festival in 84, but it was a kids climbing frame inside, and has been all over Liverpool since) using software. Synthesising their voices wouldn't be a problem either, so they wouldn't really have to do much.

I get your point but I reckon Paul McCartney would find the concept of performing with his dead band mates as holograms somewhat crass and wouldn't consider it

I could be wrong but that's what I think

I get your point but I reckon Paul McCartney would find the concept of performing with his dead band mates as holograms somewhat crass and wouldn't consider it

I could be wrong but that's what I think
I fully agree with you. I've always had a bit of a feeling that he views his Beatles time as a kind of "student" phase where you get all the crazy out of you. He's also a musician in his own right (all of them are), so it would be doing it in a way that doesn't detract from it. Yoko Ono would probably be all for it, because she doesn't seem to have a problem with milking Lennon's estate for all it's worth (I know she gets a lot of undeserved flack, but she's like a pitbull when it comes to the estate).

Queen would make a killing with a show like this. The Eagles could be happy out on stage for the first time in years. Simon and Garfunkel could relax knowing that emnity is not being transmitted from the later to the former.

Queen would make a killing with a show like this. The Eagles could be happy out on stage for the first time in years. Simon and Garfunkel could relax knowing that emnity is not being transmitted from the later to the former.
I saw the Eagles at Wembley a couple of years ago, and did think of going again last year but thought better of it due to Covid.

Simon and Garfunkel is another concert I'd go to.

I saw this last night. It was absolutely jaw dropping! I was in the dance floor section (recommended as the crowd are well up for it as opposed to the slightly more reserved people in seats) and the effect of ABBA actually being there was incredible. The big screens at the side did show up occasionally that they were computer generated but if you keep your eyes on ‘them’ on the stage, it was indistinguishable between the real thing.

The real band were also brilliant and tightly woven into the overall effect.

For anyone on the fence or even with a passing liking of ABBA, stop procrastinating…..just see it. If you’re an ABBA fan….you can’t miss it

yep im going for my birthday, always loved AbbA even though im a massive massive indie fan, i do think this technology has a big future, imagine sex pistols, the clash. Joy Division (would love this as i never got to see the divies due to a bus breakdown on the bristol road) etc, then a Mozart gig with him conducting a real orchestra, could just be amazing??

I saw this last night. It was absolutely jaw dropping! I was in the dance floor section (recommended as the crowd are well up for it as opposed to the slightly more reserved people in seats) and the effect of ABBA actually being there was incredible. The big screens at the side did show up occasionally that they were computer generated but if you keep your eyes on ‘them’ on the stage, it was indistinguishable between the real thing.

The real band were also brilliant and tightly woven into the overall effect.

For anyone on the fence or even with a passing liking of ABBA, stop procrastinating…..just see it. If you’re an ABBA fan….you can’t miss it
I haven’t seen it as it’s not my cup of tea but I know several people that have and they say pretty much what you’ve said. It seems to be one of those things that is so much better live than it sounds as a concept.

My mate went last night, he isn't into ABBA at all but his mrs and daughter are so he tagged along. He said it was surprisingly really good. The effects are really well done and the crowd obviously had a high energy making the whole experience much better.

Went to see this back in July. It's pretty incredible really, the live band were excellent and the custom built arena is perfectly designed for this event. You can tell that the band are CGI if you look at the panels at the side of the stage (not all the time though), but if you focus on the stage then you can actually belive the ABBA are right there and it's not a huge venue so no matter where you are you're always pretty close.

Superb evening out, great crowd and thoroughly glad we went down to see it. Look on it more of a show rather than a gig.

KH

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom