ABBA Voyage. Big announcement at 17:45 UK Time

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Swedish pop combo ABBA are set to make a live announcement shortly at 17:45 UK time.

If like me you grew up in the 70s you couldn't avoid this band, especially the blond ones gorgeous sexy bum :)
They made some great music and apparently they're bringing out new music?

:clap:

Laureline

Distinguished Member
Wasn't he the guy from Dragons Den?
I love ABBA and I'm not embarrassed to admit it. They made music that is timeless.

Don't think so, Pete wrote a good book about growing up in Birmingham, his Dad owned a Fish & Chip shop there. Went on to be a Music Critic and is married to Caitlin Moran.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
It just took over radio 5, what a load of dross for their first song back lol..

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Yeah not over excited for their 1st track. Must say the purpose built arena in London with the ILM produced stage show sounds interesting if a bit weird. I reckon the effects should be great.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I'm sure the other track will be better, I don't think putting out a ballad with the build up they were getting was a good idea.

afcbfan

Swedish pop combo ABBA are set to make a live announcement shortly at 17:45 UK time.

If like me you grew up in the 70s you couldn't avoid this band, especially the blond ones gorgeous sexy bum :)
They made some great music and apparently they're bringing out new music?

Ooh, I always fancied the blond one!

I think he was called Benny.

TaurusDevil

Yeah not over excited for their 1st track. Must say the purpose built arena in London with the ILM produced stage show sounds interesting if a bit weird. I reckon the effects should be great.
The second track Don't Shoot Me Down" is better. :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 686356

I shall look forward to this. I love ABBA (zero fudges given).

gibbsy

My wife has said she'll buy me the new Abba album. I got down on my knees and begged her, really begged her. Please no. No. Please no. That would be the thin end of the wedge, what next, the flaming Bee Gees.:nono:

Buzzcrow

For years, I thought the lyrics to one of ABBA’s songs was:-

There was cooking in the air that night

The stoves were alight, for Nandos

If I had to eat the same again

I would, my friend, for Nandos

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
I thought it was..."When I saw you last night in Tesco's?" ;)

Come on, if you love well written, well sung, exquisitely produced music that is both catchy and has lyrics that are perfect musical slices of the human condition how can you not like these songs?.........

In my opinion Benny & Bjorn have written a back catalogue of music that is up there with Lennon & McCartney. In fact I think it's better.

This response by Paul Lehmor to The Day Before you Came is the most succinct description.

To me this song is an excellent example of the fact that ABBA stands solidly grounded in the soil of European music tradition. Bach, German bierstube, French chanson, you name it. It gives me immediate associations to Kurt Weill's music. They did not limit themselves to adapt their music only to American commercial music trends. This integrity is an important key to their success.

Wonderful music ❤️

Last edited:

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Love the memories Abba bring flooding back for me.

The nightclub in Harare with a troupe of Russian dancers on the stage was always a highlight of many African trips. Almost the entire playlist was Abba and Village People! :D

Let me guess

I wish groups wouldn't re form years later or keep banging stuff out when they're well past their use by date. They can only ever disappoint imo.

Never owned a single ABBA song but they where the soundtrack to my childhood...
Excellent back then, the new songs sound bloody awful to me...and the beginning of the first sounded like a very old lady with bronchitis... 🤪

domtheone

Distinguished Member
I shall look forward to this. I love ABBA (zero fudges given).

Love Abba too. One of, if not the greatest Pop Bands ever, so zero fudge given indeed.

Sampled the 2 new tracks earlier and sadly, didn't do anything for me.

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Love Abba too. One of, if not the greatest Pop Bands ever, so zero fudge given indeed.

The second track Don't Shut me Down is the better one of the two. I've listened to it several times tonight and it gets better with each listen, like all good music does in my opinion. I'm looking forward to the rest of their new material. I'm holding out but I understand that age is generally not good when it comes to creativity but I do believe that both Bjorn & Benny are such craftsmen the potential is there. In saying that if it's a disappointment then I'll still be happy as their back catalogue is still second to none to me :clap:

D

Deleted member 686356

I haven't heard them yet. I think I might wait for the album if I can avoid hearing them beforehand.

scottydog

Both songs especially Still Have Faith have been a massive emotional roller coaster for me. I wasn’t expecting that! Don’t give a toss if they don’t sound current or whether they chart. And neither do ABBA!

Zombie Twin

1630678962537.png

aVdub

Banned
Not my type of music, but appreciate what they have done and cemented their place in musical history, but am wondering if this is like when they wheel out some big name from the 60's 70's 80's 90's 2000's onto the last slot on the bbc news and big them up and they just sound dire and really out of date.

Heard a new Manics the other day and wanted to throw myself off a bridge...

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max
  • By Ian Collen