1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aargh! Switching inputs to two outputs?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by richard plumb, Oct 25, 2003.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Posted here as I assume most people also have another display device, and couldn't find anywhere else obvious.

I currently have a manual switchbox which is hideous - doesn't have enough inputs, and only one output etc.

What I need is to be able to switch at least 3 s-video inputs, and be able to select one either automatically or by remote, and output it to two s-video outputs - for TV and proV.

Usually there is only one input permanantly on (Sky), and I would only switch on the DVD player or xbox/PS2 if I'm using them, so would automatic switchers be OK for this?

I can find switchers that say they have two outputs, but are these mostly VCR outputs - i.e. composite?

Any recommendations for a good switcher?

I'd like to avoid two separate units, as I already have way too many units in my cabinet.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Richard Plumb,
    Why dont you try Copperbox.com they are based in Wyoming USA I bought Key Digital KD-SW4X1 Switcher from them early this year,it took 5 days to get to me.when I bought it it was $500 which was £250 but it has now been reduced to $250 which is £150.
    KD-SW4X1 switcher Support 4RGB or Component + audio input HDTV also IR remote control or manual and RS-232 Input.
    My PJ ,DVD Player,Xbox and PS2 all connected to it

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    that sounds great for general switching, and is even future proof for component.

But it doesn't give me twin outputs, which is the problem I'm having. I can't find anything that has two outputs unless the 2nd one is a composite out for VCR - I need s-video at minimum for both outputs.

4. crawf1982

crawf1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I use one of the s-video switches listed here

I use the s-video matrix switcher which has 4 inputs, 2 outputs and is remote controlled. Sorted.

Cheers,

Dave

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    Do you use a home theatre amplifier? If yes, check out its facilities. I do exactly what you are needing to do, using my Denon 3801 amp/receiver. It provides, from 6 or 7 inputs (I can't exactly remember) 3 Composite and 3 SVideo outputs all buffered and 'live' simultaneously. Two of them are intended for video recording devices (eg VHS) and are muted when the equivalent input is selected (eg VCR1 output is muted when VCR1 is the source). However, as I only have 1 VCR, the second input is never used, so the output is always present. And there isd of course a monitor out which is always 'live'.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    currently I have a sony DB830, which has three inputs and two outputs, but one output is the echo of the vcr input, so if I use that, I only have two inputs effectively. Just not quite enough.

Plus, when watching TV during the day, the amp isn't on, so I can't rely on it for switching.

I'll check out the scancom one - the 4x2 switcher sounds ideal - and they have one for component too for when I upgrade.

Thanks for your help!