1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aah What Have I one

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by redrosie, Sep 2, 2005.

1. redrosie

redrosie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the morning after I bought my Sagem 45, and i'm thinking what have i done, comet is coming to my house, on one hand i can't wait for my tv to come, and on the other hand i'm thinking what will they [comet] be like installing it. So any tips on how to ensure they've set it up properly I have sky box, jvc home cinema system with recordable dvd and separate video.

Thanks redrosie :clap: :clap:

2. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the 56" which has the same 'engine' inside as yours. I am very fussy about my experiences but it is definitely a personal thing and what counts for one will not for another.

In terms of where to start, nothing really earth shattering to offer that will make a big difference - rather some basics which you probably already know but here they do make much more of a difference then on smaller screens. Start by making sure you have the best cables you can afford - don't rely on the std ones out of the box because this TV will show up poor signals. If you want, use these guys and get a IXOS flat scart which IMHO is the best value and should be with you next day.
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk

Once you have the source set in the menu and TV tuned in, look at the colour settings - Cinema or Studio are the better more natural ones to use to my eye but I have now set my 56" to 'user' defined.

I am now of the belief that these sorts of TV will 'burn-in' rather like running in a new engine in a car so give it a few days before you judge things.

If the DVR has component connections go for this or at least connect s-video (worst) scart (ok) scart RGB(better) component (best) HDMI/DVI (stonking!)

Good luck and enjoy :hiya:

3. redrosie

redrosie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought all the monster cables cinema systems & power sockets, excuse my ignorance but what and where are HDMI/DVI? and should I ask the installers to use them?

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    DVI-D and HDMI are digital video connections between your DVD player/recorder and your TV. If your DVD player does not have one, then drop back to component - the three phono leads. Also I would suggest that S-Video is a better picture system than plain video through SCART.

Russell

5. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    DVI and HDMI are the all new digital equivalent of the old scart connection. HDMI especially so, as it also carries sound as well as picture. DVI is pretty much the same thing except it's picture only. You can get cheap adaptors that will swap one to the other as they're so similar.

The only snag with it is, you've got to have some sort of device that kicks out either DVI or HDMI, be it a DVD player, or set top box. The soon to be released Sky+ HD box will have it, and a few DVD players have it now, even if they aren't natively HiDef themselves (they pretend to be by jiggering about with the picture). If and when HiDef DVD players get here, that's what they'll use.

The Sagem's use DVI. Though I expect future models will go over to HDMI.

Regards

Mark