1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AAGGGHHHH!!! Please help me choose a widescreen TV!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by a9801Rob, Sep 24, 2002.

1. a9801Rob

a9801Rob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've just spent the last few hours online, looking for a new 24"/28" widescreen TV - to no avail.

I'm returning my current TV, a Philips 24PW6006, because the 'dark' RGB and very poor, out-of-the-box geometry (in my case!) is doing my nut.:mad:

I'm not so worried about sound quality, but my TV to be must have a good/great general picture + great RGB (non-ghosting/darkening etc) picture support for my DVD (Tosh 220e), PSone and, (not quite so vital) SNES. It should also have good NTSC support, with solid out-of-the-box geometry - so as to minimise service menu tamperings trying to get my 'widescreen' mode correct for region 1+2 DVDs. Plus, the TV must allow me to play my PSone and SNES in 4:3 mode - I've heard of some widescreen telly’s (forget which) forcing, and remaining, in 16:9 mode when playing games...

Connections wise, two scarts (one RGB capable) is plenty (I've a decent RGB scart-splitter). An S-Video socket would be nice (but far from essential).

I'm looking to spend around £500.

Sorry for going on - this TV hunting lark is pretty stressful!!!;)

Thanks in advance,

Rob

2. chegz60

chegz60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My MY we want a lot don't we...lol.

Try clicking on search and check the posts on the following models

Philips 28PW6515
    Sony 28LS35 or 60.

I have the Philips which i've had for about a month after trying others and highly recommend it.
    The Sony also is recommened but I found difficult to find in stock at a good price!
    Try www.pricerunner.com to compare current prices.;)

3. core

core

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because You'll be watching that thing for years.. Don't mind spending few £00 more for good picture quality. You can have more better sounds afterwards by connecting amplifier and set of speakers to TV.

I'm totally happy with Philips PW9527. 2500€ / 5 years..Hmmm..

4. a9801Rob

a9801Rob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input guys.

Anyone got an opinion on the Thomson 28WF25UG?

It seems to have/be all I require, but so did the Philips 24PW6006...!:rolleyes:

5. chegz60

chegz60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what i remember of the Thomsun it was quite bulky and also had no rear av sockets to connect additional sound output!

I would still look at the Philips 28PW6515. Pure flat screen. 30w virtual dolby sound. Picture tilt (not all sets have this!) Loads of picture/sound options to play around with. Quite small for a w/screen. Was £459 at comet direct if ordered on line.

Watched 'Lord of the Rings' on dvd thru PS2 and the picture and sound was 'awesome'.

I would not be put-off a manufacturer just because of one bad set. :rolleyes:

6. a9801Rob

a9801Rob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chegz60,

I know you're right about prematurely judging a brand, but I can't help but feel a little concerned - the 28PW6515 seems to be held in mixed regard around the forum (some people here seem to despise it)...!:confused:

You say you have a PS2 - do you connect it up to the TV via scart with RGB, and if you do does this set 'darken' RGB (very noticeable) like on the 6006 models?

Also, how was your set's geometry out-of-the-box? My 24" 6006 had various modes (4:3, widescreen, superwide etc) but every one was so poorly calibrated - you lost cms off the horizontal or vertical edges of the picture in different modes.:( I don’t want to lose bits of every widescreen movie I watch…

Many thanks,

Rob

7. chegz60

chegz60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's true, i think some did not like this set but i think some of the later postings were of the same opinion as me.

the ps2 goes thru my pace sky digibox via the vcr scart so i dont have to disconnect. i am using an action replay disc (which plays multi-region dvd) otherwise rgb will give green screen.

as i said the picture is excellent. using rgb for games makes them look crystal clear as well.

geometry is excellent and convergence spot on even in corners.(you can always access the service menu but haven't found any adjustment required on my set).
    why not take a trip to your local comet and have a look so you can decide for yourself?

like you said it's stressfull. isent back 3 jvc and a toshiba b4 getting this one.:rolleyes:

8. a9801Rob

a9801Rob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, you've convinced me!

I'll give the 28PW6515 a go - if my set's as capable from the box as yours sounds I'll be very happy indeed. And if not... well, I'll see how many 28PW6515's I can get swapped before I find one I like!:p

Could be a while before I get it (some extra funds to acquire), but I'll post back with a (brief!) review when I do.

Cheers chegz60,

Rob

9. chegz60

chegz60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check posts by member 'richdgrant'. he bought one around same time as me and afaik was also very happy:)

this forum is great but remember we are talking about mass-produced equipment and tend to hear mostly of the 'bad' sets rather than the good-uns.

hope you get lucky ;)

10. hunkiemunkey

hunkiemunkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just thought you would like to know the 6516 is out very soon - the sucessor to the 6515, it looks pretty much identical, but has a built in Fm radio and a few other minor differences. :p