Aaarghh! Replacement 32PF9986 DOA!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Dogboats, Mar 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Dogboats

Dogboats
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, John Lewis (Welwyn) finally showed up with a replacement for my version 1.3 32PF9986 but it doesn't work! :mad: The LCD backlight comes on when the TV is powered up but promptly switches off again just before the picture appears, leaving a completely black screen (who says LCDs can't do good blacks? ;) ).

I can make out, dimly, the liquid crytals doing their stuff but, with no backlight, the picture isn't visible at all. I can just make out the menu settings and they appear normal. This one's a version 2.2 by the way.

I guess it's got to go back (unless a forum genius can tell me how to get it working). I may go for the full refund and wait to get a stereo ambilight, Pixel Plus HD 32PF9380 as described here: :rolleyes:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7587

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sounds like another returnee Dogboats! There is some kind of load sensitive sensor tripping out the backlight power. I have no idea how to sort this......sorry.

It's getting to the point that, as long as you're not in a rush, it might be worth waiting for the 9380. I suspect it will be better than the 9986, but probably not by a huge amount...no reviews available yet, apart from a mention on one site that did imply a noticable improvement. Probably also a noticable price hike too....

Jimmy

3. Dogboats

Dogboats
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm wondering whether the PF9380 will have a native resolution hike - up to 1900 x 1080 perhaps? That'd really make me want to buy one! :D

The other thing that I want is a PF9xxx ambilight Pixel Plus 2 set with full-screen 1:1 HTPC resolution - surlely that's acheivable through a firmware revision? Maybe if I keep viewing the forum posts, someday someone will get full screen 1:1 with firmware version 7.9 or something :) .

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As far as I know now, there is no resolution change for the 9380's. There may be an addition to the range at alater date with the higher resolution, but this would probably be a different model range and would most likely only be utilised on the 37" and 42".

Upscaling 720p and HTPC to full screen would be fantastic, but I don't know if this is even on Philips agenda.

Jimmy