Aaargh! Stuck on what to do!!!!!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Matt_C, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,829
    Right, so I am nearing completion of poutting together a surround sound set up : so far I have the AV amp (Sony STR-DE685), a pair of fronts (Mission M74 floorstanders) and hopefully soon, 2 pairs of rears (already got Mission M72 bookshelfs, and soon hope to recieve a pair of Mission M7DS dipole surrounds) so I can swap em out and decide which I like best... Centre for the time being is gonna have to be an Eltax centre....

But, I still need a sub, and don't know what to do! I like the idea of getting a matching Mission active sub, as it'll look nice, blend in, and will be self powered, meaning just one speaker cable and a plug socket....

But, spent new years my my friends house in Reading (who also has a full 5 speaker mission set up, almost identical to what I have/will have) and his LFE is represented by a pair of car audio 12" Kendwood subs, in a car audio boot build MDF box, run from a stereo Cambridge Audio house amp... Not the best to look at (not a huge issue at his place, as they are virtually hidden anyway) but man oh MAN! They sounded SOOOOOOO fine! The bass was deep, smooth, rounded and warm, very "omni-present" and non-directional (in fact you really could not pin point where they were from any seating position in the room) and when they dropped, they DROPPED LOW - we had music playing, and one track had some earth shattering bass drops in it, and these subs dropped so low, I haven't heard anything like it since my car audio days! I used to run a pair of 12" JL Audio subs, which I always really really loved the sound of, in one of my cars (well, actually, two cars as I kept em when I sold the car) but sadly some toe rag decided they wanted em and took them in the middle of the night!

Seriously thinking about getting another pair, or maybe just one, and running a similar set up to my friends set up - but the fact that I would need yet another amp, plus more cabling, and not sure I will be able to "tidy-away" this huge sub-box, is putting me off a little......

any opinions guys?

2. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Have a demo of a Proper purpose built Home Cinema Sub to feel and hear what true Low Bass is :D

I bet you'd be pleasantly suprised at how bad the car audios stuff really is :rolleyes:

3. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Agreeing with stevefish69 on this one, car subs are awful, I spent a year doing a project on how bad car subs were. Not so much designed but thrown together...... A proper home cinema sub will astound you, honest! Get a demo somewhere. If you want some serious sub get a nice Genelec one, my current favourites!!!