Aaargh! Help with HDMI splitter issue please!

Sebastalona

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I am having an issue with my HDMI splitter and the signal from my PC, and would be greatfull for any assistance anyone can give me.

Firstly, my set up:

Devices inputted to receiver (Denon AVR 1612):

Denon 1611 Blu Ray player
Xbox 360
Apple TV
PC (EVGA GTX 680 GPU).

The output from the Denon is connected to a Neet 1x2 powered HDMI splitter. The outputs on the splitter go to:

Epson TW 3200 Projector
Panasonic TX-P50UT50 3D Plasma TV

The issue I am having is with the PC. When I switch it on, I see the Microsoft Windows splash screen with animation, but after that the screen just goes black when the desktop should be appearing (I am still getting sound though).

The lights on the HDMI splitter show that there is a signal going into it, and one going out but still there is no video. I've tried with all different manner of HDMI cable combinations but no dice!

I've tried it with the ATV, Blu Ray player etc and the signal is passing through fine.

I've had a look at the display settings in Windows and the Nvidia Control Panel but I can't see anything to change which might resolve the issue?

The Neet splitter is actually a replacement for a Cablesson splitter (although they look identical). I did manage to get it working on the Cablesson intermittently, but I thought it was just faulty so bought a replacement.

If anyone could shed any light on what may be the issue, it would be much appreciated.

It's driving me mad, but it's the kind of thing I won't drop until it's resolved!

Does it work if you power all kit off, connect PC direct to DA (bypassing the AVR) then re-power!

Joe

Does it work if you power all kit off, connect PC direct to DA (bypassing the AVR) then re-power!

Joe

Hi Joe, yes by taking the AVR out of the equation, the signal passes through the splitter to TV no problem!

Is there a way around this?

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

‘Is there a way around this?’ – you are not the first to have issues with splitting the Output of an AVR when using certain Source devices.

Are you able to ensure the PC is outputting an HDTV format signal 1080p, 1080i or 720p the AVR understands – the TV may accept a wider range of signals that the AVR!

Two possibilities – A. a different DA with better handshake management (Media Factory - Octava HDDA12A-UK, HDMI1x2 Distribution Amp + audio converter) or an EDID grabber/management device sitting between the PC and the AVR to fool the PC into always ‘seeing’ a Display device rather than the AVR (Media Factory - Octava HD11-ARC-UK, HDMI ARC processor + EDID emulator).

Joe

Joe Fernand said:
‘Is there a way around this?’ – you are not the first to have issues with splitting the Output of an AVR when using certain Source devices.

Are you able to ensure the PC is outputting an HDTV format signal 1080p, 1080i or 720p the AVR understands – the TV may accept a wider range of signals that the AVR!

Two possibilities – A. a different DA with better handshake management (Media Factory - Octava HDDA12A-UK, HDMI1x2 Distribution Amp + audio converter) or an EDID grabber/management device sitting between the PC and the AVR to fool the PC into always ‘seeing’ a Display device rather than the AVR (Media Factory - Octava HD11-ARC-UK, HDMI ARC processor + EDID emulator).

Joe

Pretty pricey solution for a seemingly simple task! Do either of these options guarantee a solution to the issue?

With the vagaries of HDMI, HDCP, EDID and poorly written Firmware in the connected devices the only Guarantee we can offer is lots of Tech Support and your money back if it proves impossible to get things working.

As you say it looks a simple requirement but often with an AVR in the mix it's not.

Joe

Can I ask, if I purchased a new AVR with 2 HDMI outputs, would I have any similar issues?

‘would I have any similar issues?' – potentially yes as it may be the PC which has the problem once an AVR is in the mix rather than the AVR having a problem once a PC is in the mix :suicide:

An EDID grabber between the PC and the AVR would be my first port of call – this is a very common problem which we have to resolve for folk on a weekly basis!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom