1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aaargh AE900 VB?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by xavster, Oct 28, 2005.

1. xavster

xavster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Dear all,
    Picked up my AE-900 last week. Think I've got some VB. Can see it sometimes on windows desktop via VGA at 1280x720 and on the white menu screen of my dvd player (connected via rgb scart) Also when connected by s-video. Just watched a bit of Master and Commander - it was pretty bad in the misty sky bits.
    KrishAV where I got it have said they will swap it, but I get the feeling they're reluctant - they said they'll lose margin on it and have to sell it as ex-demo. Now surely they'd send it back to Panasonic???? Question is, am I being fussy? How bad is too bad? Will they all have it? What can I do to fix it? In every other way this thing is amazing!!
    Please offer advice!
    TIA

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'm sure Panasonic will release a firmware version to cure it eventually. :D

Seriously. Calm down, take a deep breath, watch a few more movies, decide if you are still unhappy. M&C is apparently one of the very worst films for VB. (Also, don't watch King Arthur in the near future 'caus this is another very misty film!).

VB can be a bit disconcerting when you notice it, then I forgot about it, and now my Oppo via DVI seems to not exhibit VB at all on the TX100 - may be worth trying a player connected via HDMI?...PJ

3. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought VB was sorted on the new LCD D5 machines! I know the last batch of AE700s were apparently VB free so it seems a step back. Proper connections as PJ100 has mentioned, or a VB tweak as the AE700 had may cure it. Also a friend of mine had VB but once the PJ had time to bed in it all but disappeared.

4. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I haven't seen any and I've seen 10+ AE900's so far, how long had you used it before these symptoms developed?

Cost Panny a packet last time so i'm sure they must have sorted it.

5. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That means sending the unit to Panasonic :eek:
    And will they will only upgrade it if they themselves think there is a fault. :D

6. xavster

xavster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Got it last Saturday, first spotted VB on Monday after about 5 hours use. It now has 18 hours on it!!

I think I'll take it back first thing tomorrow and compare it to another. If they're both the same, then I'll be happy, if not I'll swap!

When connecting via the PC, I get VERY clear VB while it "auto adjusts" and while I muck around with powerstrip settings. Not so noticeable on standard Windows blue desktop, but put grey things up and it becomes visible again....

Thanks guys!!

7. RLT

RLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Try setting 1280x720 direct from graphics card @ 60HZ... forget power strip
    Used AE500 PJ via DVI from PC for last 20 months never seen any VB.. fingers crossed !
    Found powerstrip just another complication.
    Used to get judder one or 2 times playing DVD's over PC but since installing Mystique DD sound card some time ago, now plays all region discs perfecty smooth at PJ default settings !

8. xavster

xavster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Can't set at native without powerstrip! Once it's synched the vb is very much reduced.
    To be honest it's just with DVD that it's a problem. I don't have an htpc, just a laptop to play around with some hidef.

9. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not going to make any difference to your vertical banding problem on your new AE900 :eek:...... but your laptop drivers could be updated and nowadays there is often a 1280x720 setting which eliminates powerstrip.:lesson:

10. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Let's not jump to conclusions.

This is an isolated report AND we don't know the outcome of a direct comparison. I have not seen any VB whatsoever on any AE900 p the OP may just be unlucky or have a glitch in his setup. Let's hope so!

11. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    benji_m, I presume a pre-delivery dead pixel check also verifies its VB free?

12. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, we always check to ensure negligible, inperceptable amounts of VB :thumbsup:

13. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    post a screenshot of worst VB pic

14. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The last AE700's were not VB free.

I bought one a month ago. It had VB. Sent it back (as there was also an intermittent rattle/resonance from the fan/casing.)

The replacement is the same. Manufacturing date is July 05 IIRC with up to date firmware.

Flicker tweak helped and I need to do some more playing. But to be honest, I've only noticed it once or twice during film watching. As usual, its foggy scenes that show it most.

I will try the power off tip and see what happens after 100 hrs use. I have read that it gets less after about 100 hrs.

I had an AE300 before and that had ever-so slight VB when you really looked for it playing scenes like the cruiser landing at the start of AOTClones. It never detracted from my viewing pleasure but overall the AE700 is definately better and I haven't even tried HiDef yet.

This is connected via component to Pioneer 575. VB evident in both interlaced and progressive.

15. xavster

xavster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Well, I took it back this morning. KrishAV were VERY helpful - the chap set it up and tried it with all sorts of connections. The VB is there still. I got him to try another projector (he opened another AE900 box in front of me) and the VB was there on that one as well - if anything it was worse than mine!!
    I took my projector back home with me!

Lets get this in perspective - the picture is STUNNING. I can't emphasise that enough. I'm sure that if you weren't looking for the VB you wouldn't see it. The VB thing is mysterious but by no means a deal breaker! I would still wholeheartedly recommend this PJ to anyone.

I'd also wholeheartedly recommend KrishAV - good knowledgable, friendly, helpful chap there. He's got Z4s and AE900s.

16. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Xavster, this is the kind of thing which would be impossible to do with an on-line purchase. No way would I be able to return a PJ after opening it or exchange it for another without a major hassle. You've sorted out your problem so swiftly and smoothly.

I believe that buying a PJ is like buying a pair of shoes or spectacles. Youve simply got to try out the very item you're buying and I don't mean trying the in-store demo model. Like in your case the PJ in the 2nd box was worse !

So why do online stores demand a restocking charge if the box and plastic covers are opened? Some people see VB, some see rainbow, some troubled by iris movement and so on. It is such a user-oriented item and surely one should be able try it out at home without having to pay stocking charges etc.

17. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw VB on the AE700 when I demoed it - put me right off. Sounds like KrishAV are pretty good - are they in London and whereabouts. Wondering if they have Z4/AE900 on display or if they have a number of display machines? might be worth checking out since in london theres not many places to go to (other than ttnhmctrd! :()

18. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not all online stores demand restocking and none of them can charge you restocking if there is a fault. VB just like a single dead pixel, no matter what any retailer or "manufacturers guidelines" tells you, is a fault.

19. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    VB is not a fault per se,

Find a good retailer who will check the machine, and offer you a replacement of you find the VB bothering you. It's all about finding a retailer that will do these things because they are a good retailer not because VB is a defect, at least not very minor VB.

20. iaTa

iaTa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What/who is ttnhmctrd?

Xavster: Good meeting you mate ;)

21. JiveTalker

JiveTalker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tottenham Court Road, West End of London

22. iaTa

iaTa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers mate - gunna head down there now.

23. xavster

xavster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hello!! Did you see the Z4??

KrishAV are in Chiswick, on Chiswick High Road, not far from the M4

24. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen some VB on my AE900 from discountv.

First noticed it on the Dreamworks logo for Saving Private Ryan. As the pans across the W, a cloud passes the camera. At that point I can see vertical banding.

25. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Not realy true, there are reports across many international forums that the Ae900 does suffer a small amount of VB to various degrees. But it has been improved. And im sure a good retailer could supply a almost 100% free unit or at least advise on how to tweak it out a bit.

26. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +560
    i have been thinking of upgrading my Tosh MT1 (4 years old and still love it) the only issue it has is a bit of VB in the usual places,
    smoke, fog etc.
    I am adament that i wil not upgrade until the VB issue is sorted
    4 years on and peeps still complaining.

I cant get a DLP as they melt my brain!! (rainbow hell)

I heard that the HS50 has no VB is this correct?

27. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    If you plan a HS 50 then get a demo first, personaly i thought it was a bit poo. No VB (that i noticed) but it had other issues

28. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this a problem for you? On my z3.5 there is no VB whatsoever but I have seen it on an AE700 and i basically stopped demoing right there; its not something I could put up with as I would be constantly looking for it just like a dead pixel.

Sadly, it sounds like from this thread that its a far from isolated incident since we have it confirmed on three different AE900's already.

Certainly if you bought it from a retailer who was supposed to check and send you one which was practically VB free (like Benji states he does) then you should have no problems with rejecting it as faulty and getting them to send a courier with an exchange unit.

Even if the retailer doesnt do a check, I still think this is a clear fault and for info on your legal rights (essentially same as per dead pixels) read here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1791856#post1791856

Of course you could just put up with it!

HTH :thumbsup:
    sainthalo

29. iaTa

iaTa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No I didn't unfortunately. The guy that turned up as we were leaving had a demo booked so there would have been a bit of a wait. Wish I had waited now though! I've just been down to Tottenham Court Road and none of those shops have the Z4 yet. Saw a demo of a AE700 though and it was just as impressive as yours :eek:

I can't wait to see Hi-Def through one of these babies! Just gotta make up my mind which one to get out of the 4 :rolleyes:

30. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sainthalo, regarding VB is this a fault in design, factory assembly or what? Also, is it possible for a PJ to develop VB later even if it was VB free at purchase. Its prevalence seems to be so variable from model to model and within different batches of the same model, such that it makes little sense. Or is it all in the eye of the beholder?