Aaahhh, which cpu cooler should i get??

santosh123

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a i72600k with the stock cooler at the moment, which is doing the job. During games I get around 50, but can peak to 70!

I am propably going to over clock to abouts 4.4ghz and seriously need a better cooler.

I have considered water cooling but I've seen a review or two showing leakages which put me of

The ones I have been looking at so far are

Cooler master
V8
And v10 (but I'm not sure if it will fit as all 4 ram slots are un use, but that's what it's made for, right?)

Or one ofThe noctua one?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks you

But I need one that will nicely handle an overclock

I would like to know about this as well completed my build yesterday stock fan hitting 98c on full load I am also running to i7 2600k.

Last edited:
But I need one that will nicely handle an overclock

Have you done any online searches at all? Plenty of reviews available for loads of coolers that might suit your needs.
If you find some that you think are suitable some information regarding your case, mobo, ram would be a help. Good luck.

Cheers.

I would like to know about this as well completed my build yesterday stock fan hitting 98c on full load I am also running to i7 2600k.

Tcase max is 72deg c. Hope you're rich.

Hi All, I am in need of the same advice, sorted my new system spec (below) apart from CPU cooler;

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
CPU - i7 2600k

Would like to be able to get 4.5 o/c with the above? I have heard that the Hyper 212+ and Evo are hard to fit?

I am mulling over;

Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 CPU Cooler
Gelid Tranquillo
Enermax ets-t40-ta
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO CPU Cooler
Zalman CNPS10X Performa
Akasa Nero v2 Copper Heatpipe Cooler
Hyper 212 Evo

Last edited:
Gelid Tranquillo for around £25 really can't be beaten IMO.

You must be one of the lucky ones with your Corsair cooler. After reading about the multitude of problems with the H series coolers on their forums it turned me right off their products. I'll stick with my Noctua for now.
Cheers.

Also after seeing reviews and such it's put me of, I Kind of like the concept of fan as you can see it working, and I think they look COOL,

You must be one of the lucky ones with your Corsair cooler. After reading about the multitude of problems with the H series coolers on their forums it turned me right off their products. I'll stick with my Noctua for now.
Cheers.

I have a few friends running the H series - all without problems - for many years. I've never been on the Corsair forums, never needed too. I don't think looking at product forums is a good guide to reliability. People only generally post if they have issues, so it's a biased opinion.

Having put up with the noise of an air cooler for many years, the H series was a sigh of relief. I have also had m'board damage from the weight of a large air cooler in the past.

If I considered that the Corsair H series were not reliable, I'd just switch to an alternative similar solution. I would never go back to a standard cooler. Each to their own, but I see no difference in reliability compared to a full water setup in terms of mechanical parts that can go wrong.
Product forums are not the best way to judge reliability IMO. People only generally post if they have issues. If the tech was unreliable, there wouldn't be so many new vendors in this market. It's the way forward IMO.

Last edited:
I have a few friends running the H series - all without problems - for many years. I've never been on the Corsair forums, never needed too. I don't think looking at product forums is a good guide to reliability. People only generally post if they have issues, so it's a biased opinion.

Having put up with the noise of an air cooler for many years, the H series was a sigh of relief. I have also had m'board damage from the weight of a large air cooler in the past.

If I considered that the Corsair H series were not reliable, I'd just switch to an alternative similar solution. I would never go back to a standard cooler. Each to their own, but I see no difference in reliability compared to a full water setup in terms of mechanical parts that can go wrong.
Product forums are not the best way to judge reliability IMO. People only generally post if they have issues. If the tech was unreliable, there wouldn't be so many new vendors in this market. It's the way forward IMO.

I think I shall agree to disagree with you on the topic of forums as to a products potential. Perhaps the quality of the Corsair H series when you purchased it was better than it is now, I don't know. But the thought of mounting holes not lining up, insufficient mounting hardware, leaking water over mobo's, fan controllers not working, damaged radiators, etc., versus a couple of fans on an air cooler playing up just turned me off the H series altogether, although I do use other Corsair bits in my pc's.
In any case, I hope that your Corsair gear continues to serve you well into the future:)
Cheers.

I think I shall agree to disagree with you on the topic of forums as to a products potential. Perhaps the quality of the Corsair H series when you purchased it was better than it is now, I don't know. But the thought of mounting holes not lining up, insufficient mounting hardware, leaking water over mobo's, fan controllers not working, damaged radiators, etc., versus a couple of fans on an air cooler playing up just turned me off the H series altogether, although I do use other Corsair bits in my pc's.
In any case, I hope that your Corsair gear continues to serve you well into the future:)
Cheers.

There is obviously a downside to these more complex products; the idea of having to use a system that sounds like a fighter jet taking off just because it's working a little hard is a no go for me. On air, I would overclock the system, think wow that's fantastic, but ramp the overclock right back so that it was livable from a sound perspective.

I'll take my chances with leaks etc, which obviously can't be that bad otherwise the products would be pulled or reputably companies like Scan, Overclockers, Dabs etc just wouldn't sell them as it would be too much hassle.

Here you go...
Official Corsair H50/H70 Club

Almost 20,000 posts, from H Series fans... and still going strong :smashin:

In the end I went with a CoolerMaster 212 Evo and a second fan for push/pull. Almost silent with RPMs of 1300 even at full tilt (Prime 95) and 3.6ghz on an i7 2600k. I expect 4.5ghz should be straightforward as my temps are maxing at 48-49 under load @ 3.6ghz and my Arctic Silver isn't yet bedded in. Despite some reviews it couldn't be easier to fit either - Gigabyte Z68 mobo and i7 2600k.

In the end I went with a CoolerMaster 212 Evo and a second fan for push/pull. Almost silent with RPMs of 1300 even at full tilt (Prime 95) and 3.6ghz on an i7 2600k. I expect 4.5ghz should be straightforward as my temps are maxing at 48-49 under load @ 3.6ghz and my Arctic Silver isn't yet bedded in. Despite some reviews it couldn't be easier to fit either - Gigabyte Z68 mobo and i7 2600k.
Expect load temperatures of around 65C tops, I'd say. :smashin:

It depends entirely on what voltage you need though, all chips are different. I'm using a single stock fan on the cooler as I've heard from a lot of people that adding a second fan really only decreases temperatures by 3-4C, so I never bothered.

Anyway, I'm using 1.30V Vcore and it maxes out around 60-70C. There's a large difference between core 0 and the rest of the cores (core 0 is lower), and I've seen it hit 70/71C on the hotter cores when I've been running Prime95 and my room's been really warm.

I think I've narrowed it down to

NH-d14
H80
Zalman CNPS12X

I think I've narrowed it down to

NH-d14
H80
Zalman CNPS12X
The NH-D14 is very, very, large, and the performance doesn't necessarily scale with the extra cost and size.

If you're only going to be overclocking to 4.4GHz (or thereabouts) like you originally said then the NH-D14 would almost be a waste of money. The H80 will probably give you slightly worse temps than the D14. Not sure if it's really worth getting an H80 either - they're not cooler than a high-end air cooler, they're not quieter (after all, you still have two fans on there, and you also have a pump going which some say can whine) and they're more expensive than most too.

Honestly, if you're just looking for around 4.5GHz then look no further than the Hyper 212 +/EVO.

Considering noise, price, and performance. The two are decibels, pounds, and a couple of degrees from one another. Basically the same
( according to online spec)

But the 212 doesn't seem a bad idea actually, although I think Im only going to overclock to 4.0 as I dont really have any need for higher

The NH-d14 would of been a extremely tight fit aswell!!

Also I'm kinda wanting something that looks nice/cool aswell XD

Attachments

• image-3324846601.jpg
    image-3324846601.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 177
I was scared of conflict of the ram, as seen above

If you're only going to overclock to 4GHz, you could do that with the stock cooler, but of course it doesn't look as cool and won't be nearly as quiet as the other possibilities. But honestly, I think you'd be wasting your money on the NH-D14. The Hyper 212 EVO will take any one or two 120mm fans, and to be honest most of the quieter choices for fans out there are 120mm rather than 140mm anyway. You could get the 212 EVO and a replacement fan like a Gentle Typhoon or a Noctua for half the price of the NH-D14 probably. Getting a second fan will add more noise and reduce temperatures by like 3C tops, so it's not worth it in most cases.

If you're only going to overclock to 4GHz, you could do that with the stock cooler, but of course it doesn't look as cool and won't be nearly as quiet as the other possibilities. But honestly, I think you'd be wasting your money on the NH-D14. The Hyper 212 EVO will take any one or two 120mm fans, and to be honest most of the quieter choices for fans out there are 120mm rather than 140mm anyway. You could get the 212 EVO and a replacement fan like a Gentle Typhoon or a Noctua for half the price of the NH-D14 probably. Getting a second fan will add more noise and reduce temperatures by like 3C tops, so it's not worth it in most cases.

Yeah completely agree. For such a mild overclock you're looking at some pretty high end coolers. Others to consider are the Gelid Tranquillo and Corsair A50, along with the 212 EVO.

Yeah completely agree. For such a mild overclock you're looking at some pretty high end coolers. Others to consider are the Gelid Tranquillo and Corsair A50, along with the 212 EVO.
Yeah, I am being very biased here towards the 212 EVO - of course there are others to consider. What I'm mainly trying to say is that you'd be seriously overspending by getting an NH-D14 or an H80, etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom