aaagh what do i buy?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Marc, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    I've been looking at replacing my 10 year old 21" hitachi tv with something big and beautiful, but there are so many different types of TV around i can't work out what would be best for me.

I want to use my TV to watch DVD's, so i want the picture quality to be top notch, and also to play my PS2, and i would love to be able to use the TV as a monitor for my PC during games, so i would like it to have really high quality tv-in capability or vga-in.

I want it to be around the 42" size mark, because i've never been one to go for something "normal sized", i mean i had a 21" tv in a tiny room and everyone thought i was crazy..

I'd be really happy if the footprint left by tv was pretty small, as i don't want half the space in my room taken up by a TV.

From the above, i've come to the conclusion that i need to get an RPTV, LCDTV or Plasma Screen. I don't want to spend more than £2000, and the closer to £1000 the TV is, the happier my bank balance will be.

I know RPTVs can have bad PQ, LCDTV's are astronomically priced and Plasma's burn in really quickly, so it's hard to know what to buy.

Looking in shops, nothing really catches my eye, but i gather they are often badly configured, as all the Plasma's and LCDTV's i've seen look worse than my current 21" in picture quality which surely can't be right.

Since a lot of people in here are experts, can you recommend what you think would be best for me?:lease:

Hope you can help

Thanks

Marc

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    £2000 will get you a Panasonic PW6 plasma panel if you go to the right dealer. If you are careful with it when it is brand new you will not suffer from screen burn and once it has over 200 hours on the clock you can be a little less careful and get away with it. Even then, don't leave static logos on screen for hours.

Avoid the plasmas at closer to £1000 - you will be disappointed even if your bank manager thanks you.

Piers

Home Cinema Engineering
    www.homecinemaengineering.com

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
  4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Marc,

This is way below even the trade price. Never had any dealings with them so no idea what they mean by "Demo Product". Suspect that the screen has been used in their demo room. Ask them how many hours are on the clock. I bought mine 3 years ago, ex-dem at a substantial discount, but from a retailer that I knew well. You may have spotted a real bargain, but equally...!

Good luck (and if you get it for that price you can afford to have me calibrate it properly!)

Piers

5. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    Thanks Piers, they have a lot of different RPTVs LCDTV's and Plasmas at about £500 less than their normal price in the demo section, including the Sony KF42SX300 which i was close to buying, for £1099. I've emailed them to find out exactly what they mean by demo product, but i could find out they've gone past the 200 hour mark and saved me the trouble of burning the screen in, and then not much further, or like you warned, maybe it's been on display 24 hours a day with a static image for the past year.. also wanted to find out if they do 30 months interest free credit on demo products cos that would be the icing on the cake. i'll let you know what i find out :)

6. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    I spoke to Alison at Robert Whyte, and she told me that the demo product is just their name for "A" grade rated products, brand new but refurbished from DOA products, so it should be as good as brand new.

She also told me that the plasma comes with the RCA composite/s-video add-on card, not the SCART one as advertised because Panasonic have no scart ones available. Is s-video/composite pretty useless for a plasma? No rgb or component inputs seems like a bit of a downer..