1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AAAAaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhh !!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by theritz, Mar 23, 2003.

1. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I blame you lot of masochistic Ba$£%ds, and here's why........

Friday dawned a perfectly ordinary day, lots to do at work, but still managed to pick up a new soundcard. (Why ? because my sound system is Prologic and I wanted a card which would pass SPDIF for a forthcoming upgrade to DD. ) While I'm making up my mind what audio kit to get, Kramer proposed to lend me his Logitech Z*** powered sub & sats. outfit, to get an impression whether s & s in comparison to full range speakers. Kramer and Vexorg were due for a visit to my gaff on Friday evening, Chinese, beer, coffee, a natter and maybe a bit of movie watching. Fine.

Typhoon Acoustic 6 card got, Cmedia 8378 chip based, with spdif in and out in coax and optical. Snazzy looking piece of kit, comes with all the gubbins. The boys arrived, we eat, have a yack, and go about installing the card into my perfectly running hcpc. Would it load the drivers ? Would it buggery !!! A couple of hours, during which the card was in and out of the pc like a fiddlers elbow, checking stuff in the bios, all to no avail. The other two were a phenominal help during this trauma - "XP Pro Service Pack 1, thats what you need - never had a proble recognising drivers....." sage advice offered from the safety of the couch, while yet another fistful of hair landed on the carpet. Of course you know where said software was safely residing, don't you...... yip, Kramers gaff - on the other side of the country.

Eventually called a halt.

This morning, drove wife and daughter into town, went home and reinstalled every thing from scratch, back to win98. Drivers for new soundcard install as expected. Spent further 2 hours unpacking sub and sats and wiring them into my movie room. Fire up pc with coax out to ss system, set DD in powerdvd, set spdif in soundcard control, and..............................

The bas(*$rd wouldn't work. After some serious fun and games fecking around uninstallng and reinstalling dvdplayers (windvd4 and powerdvd) eventually figured out that the spdif out on the card will only pass a stereo signal in spdif !!!! Foly Huck !!!!! I nearly screamed. And when I then discovered that powerdvd (nicest picture) had developed a serious stutter (more like a 3 second halt every 2 seconds) I really did scream! Apparantly it didn't like the soundcard (by that time, I frankly hated the thing).

OK.

Uninstall software players.

Uninstall soundcard drivers.

Power down.

Take out soundcard.

Reboot - activating onboard sound in bios.

load drivers for onboard sound.

( Did try out the sub & sats from my DVD player - seriously delicious sound, and quite a slam from a diminuitely sized sub - enough to feel through floor and couch !!! A baby window rattler, no doubt about it. Very well balanced sound, no lack of midrange, no sibilance from sats, gorgeous, in fact. And they're for sale in the hardware forum.............. Eagles Hell Freezes Over in DTS was completely smashing - very involving sound, and thea ctual balance of sound on the disk really showed how good the sub and sats were - perfectly soundstaged, no missing elements.)

I'm back practically where I started (10 hr round trip since this morning). HCpc hooked back to my prologic system and I'm very glad to have it there. I think I'll take a little breather before messing with the kit again (or choose the next bleedin' soundcard more carefully).

Funny thing is, when I fired up the DVD player (Svid through ProV), for the first minute oor two I thought " Mmmm thats ok....." and then began to notice loads of shortcomings in the image - pixel-perfect through AE100 really is the dogs danglies in picture quality terms, and its the fault of you lot that I couldn't really consider going back to DVD.

I lurk here regularly, and am grateful for the tips and tricks I've picked up. Haven't really been able to offer any serious help to others in return, but maybe here's a health warning to the many new AE100 owners over on our LCD forum.......... If you want to try HCPC, by all means its the best picture you'll ever see...... but just when you think everything is fine, one tweak too many.... new soft/hardware, be prepared for fun and games !!!!!!!

Now, has anyone got a reasonable recomendation for a simple soundcard guaranteed to pass dolby digital stream through an spdif output ??

All the best, you guys !!!!

Sean G.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :D my heart is with you! On Friday I finally activated XP having run for as long as it would without...... it had worked inpeccably the whole time without a single error..... I activated...... spent the next dozen hours sorting the mess it made! As soon as it was activated, it started corrupting data...... eventually then it caused bad sectors on the boot sector of the HD (well seagate told me it was windows fault) and it wouldnt boot...... It took me 3 further attempts until my activated copy behaved....... I couldnt beleive it! Lesson for my future........ XP sucks :(

I hope you find something a bit less infuriating for your problem! :D

ad

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I did a clean install on my PC last year and have had no problems with it at all. (I was rather shocked about this to be honest). I'm on the Uni LAN so I get all the Windows updates, and have only had a problem with one set of sound card drivers Microsoft tried to send me (haven't been sent any since).

If you can afford it for your PC get an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 that will work.

4. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Re: Windows.

I've found that upgrading to ANY version of windows is a pit of a pig in a poke. Far better to jsut wipe the drive and do a fresh install.

Re: Sound.

I know that some HCPC people will advise different cards for different reasons but I've always been a fan of Creative cards. Not cards based on creative chips, but creative cards. They dont always have all the features, bells, whistles, etc of certain manufactures but in my experience they Always work.

I've had SB16,32, AWE 32, AWE64, SB128, SB Live, SB Live 5.1... running on DOS, 3.1, 95, 98, ME, Win2k, XP.

Never had any problems to complain about yet. (touch wood).

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi again guys,

Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to go for a format and install of XP, and a Creative 4.1 or 5.1 digital card - I really don't want the card to do anything other than pass a digital signal.

One of the usual suspects (Vex, probably !!!) is going to be doing some hand-holding next week !!!!

Buns,

If that was me I think I would have had a heart attack !! - as it is I don't think the re-install went completely well - Rage3dtweak certainly didn't like it, and began to crash the system, and eventually a full reinstall of all other software was needed. I should have done a format but wanted to see if I could effect a repair with minimum effort - silly boy !

Retro,

the Maudio series would be over the top in my pc which is more an entry level - home built Duron 1.3, 128Mb, Radeon 9000. I'll up the mem to 256 for XP, tho.

Desticado,

Thanks, the others also muttered kind words about Creative cards so that's my next port of call

All the best,

Sean G.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sean

You might as well just drop a 256MB stick of RAM in, should be about £30.

Hope it works out all ok for you.
    :smashin:

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi Retro, can you give a pointer for the M-Audio card as I am having trouble finding a place to buy.

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I can't say I know of a supplier in the UK.

I'll have a little hunt around.

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think Vexorg is on the lookout for one of those as well.....
    He'd be interested in a source too.

Sean G.

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  11. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I just read in the forums.theatertek.com that Rickd went from a m-audio to a similar RME soundcard and that fixed his TheaterTek stuttering issues than many see.

Sounds to me that the RME has a better, more accurate clock than the m-audio?

regards,
    Rob.

12. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been waiting for OCUk to get them back in stock... they said would have them in in 3 days .... about 10 days ago.

Sean - that copy of XP Pro that you ordered has arrived safetly - will arrange to get it to you during the week and will help with the install if required.

Vex.

13. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Vex,

Thanks a mill for that - overseas 'til wednesday - give you a call after that - the assist will also be much appreciated, :smashin: (any brand preference for more coffee !!) ..... when Kramer says it'll be simple, I keep thinking of Comer and watercooling !! :suicide:

I think that I'll get 10 mins tomorrow to exchange the sound card - Soundblaster Audigy Player should do the trick, if the 4.1 digital isn't to hand.

See ya,

Sean G.

14. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Great and thanks for your time.

15. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hmm,

Nothing is ever easy in HTPC. Here's my current problem;

Want to run TT, M-Audio Delta 410 and Holo3d.

TT 1.5 (best picture) needs Delta 31 beta drivers to run correctly. (ie without 5 second audio delay!!!)

There is a know issue where Delta Beta 31 drivers don't work correctly after a restart (!). Therefore, it is necessary to keep the PC running permanently after a driver install.

Found a workaround whereby all is well if, rather than shut down, I put the PC into Hibernate.

Guess what, The Holo3D does not work on resume from Hibernate. The only solution to get a picture back is a restart. Guess what that does to my Audio card drivers!!!

Aarrrgggggghhh indeed, Mr. Ritz.

Anyone know why HTPCs always trigger a neverending chain of dependicies. Anyone got one working perfectly?

Just sharing a bit of frustration in the frustration thread!

And don't get me started on IR control. :mad:

BTW Boys, give me a shout when planning the next Ireland meet of HTPC-anon; I might be around and would love to see other set-ups!

Peter

16. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Peter,

Anytime you're going to be in Dublin with a few hours to spare, PM me and you'll be very welcome - Kramer and I would gladly do a visit to you to see CRT in action. Your hcpc fun sounds like hell on wheels to me, I'm now pared back to using Zoomplayer based on Powerdvd and things seem stable. Upgrade to XP this week will hopefully settle things down for a while. I've seriosly begun to consider using a capture card and using the PC as a de-interlacer & scaler - simplify the front end in a big way.

You still happy with the Sony, or have you any upgrade plans ??

Stay in touch,

Sean G.

17. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hi Peter

I have the MAudio Delta Dio with Beta 31 drivers and I have never had any problems with restarts. I Did however have the 5 second delay in audio until I changed to the 31 driver

Conor

18. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you have....sssshhooooooshh:D

19. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Cheers Sean,

Will follow up with a visit sometime.

Sony chugging along just fine. Contemplating ceiling mounting at the moment to free up my audio "sweet spot" and improve furniture arrangement options.

Can't afford to think of an upgrade at the moment, I've sunk quite a bit into tht room over the winter and now we need other luxuries; like a garden and a drive way!!!

Conor, the m-audio issue is know and affects certain MBs/Configs (though no-one seems to know which ones!!!).

M-Audios problem is that they just don't have enough driver programmers and so Beta 31 will be beta for some time! (they're hiring, so if you know any Windows drivers programmers willing to work in Germany, get in touch with them!)

Cheers

Peter

20. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Peter,

no worries, just give us a shout.

Sean G.

21. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ok Guys, a quick update.

Swapped card for a Sounblaster Live 5.1 digital, bunged it in, drivers loaded and now (as we say aroud these parts) "she's suckin' diesel !!!" - clicking into Dolby Digital just when it should. :smashin:

The software that came with the card ( a rather Goth black job - very nice) is a treat, clear to enable/disable AC3 decoding, and enable spdif out. Had a bit of a problem running Windvd4, Powerdvd and Zoomplayer - they eventually all stopped responding (not all at the same time I hasten to add). I am now running Powerdvd on its own, and it appears stable (fingers crossed).

Now, having gotten over the trauma of that little excursion, (a quick recovery !), should I upgrade to XP ????? A capture card seems like a nice thing to have in a hcpc...................do I really want to **** up the whole thing again ? Will Mrs. Ritz really put up with another week or two of disappearing off for a couple of hours and returning with tales woe ?? She had a listen tonight and was underwhelmed by the difference in sound - I like it well enough, but want to continue to compare for a while - a bit fond of my old-fashioned system, nice and mellow (although the clarity and steering of DD is really a treat - bass needs taming for my room though).

Oh well onwards and upwards !!!!

All the best,

Sean G.

22. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you using Windows 2000? If so, I would say NO!!

I have three PC's, Windows 2000 is rock stable on them.

Tried XP on all three seem - XP is a bit quirky- not unstable (ie reboot) but occasionally bogs down, applications crash etc

23. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Nathan,

98SE, and it's fine so far. Kramer's a big fan of XP, so may consider further.

Sean G.

24. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Do yourself a favour and get a copy of ghost and use it before you change anything. This will mean you will have a rewind option if it goes bad ensuring that it probably wont.;)

Dont upgradeyour existing OS to XP, if you want XP then do a clean install.:lesson:

Good luck.

25. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    John,

Thanks, hard dirve is not partitioned so Ghosting is out for now - I have another drive which I might pop in and ghost to that though.......

If any further changes are needed I'm going to do a format-install of XP and start from scratch - there's something "nerdily" satisfying in looking at the machine, know in there's bugger all on it and build back to working condition !!! A Saturday morning and lots of tea job, methinks.

All the best,

Sean G.