Aaaaaaaaaaaargh, aerial help (FV) !

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by richjthorpe, Jan 17, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi peeps,

I live in Twickenham which is 19 miles from Crystal Palace and currently get an ok picture from Freeview. Others who have FV on the forums says that you can get a picture as good as Sky Digital on the right set up but looking at mine I don't think I do. Fair enough, fast moving images and flashing lights are FVs downfalls but I can see digital artifacts on normal tv viewing now and again.

Looking on the DTG website it says I need a 'Group A H' aerial for my area to pick up Crystal Palace properly. Does that mean that if I have a group B then it wont work at all ? How can I tell the aerial I have is group A H and what is the difference between Group A, B etc and High Gain aerials ?

If I wanted to split the cable, where is the best place to do it ?

I'm getting an LCD this week hopefully and I'm worried that the PQ isn't going to be good enough so to make sure I'm looking at getting a new aerial and run new cable if I need to.

Thanks,

Richie.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Some aerials are tuned to a specific channel group. By doing this, you get a slightly higher gain for the number of elements in the aerial. The aerial will work outside the group, but at a reduced efficiency. A wideband aerial has a gain which is almost constant across the entire range of channel groups, but this is at the expense of gain. Typically, a wideband aerial could have about 20% to 30% less gain for the same number of elements than one which is tuned to a specific group. If you are that close to Crystal Palace, a group B aerial will probably do the trick, but that would depend on how many elements it has. You would need to refer to manufacturer's data sheets to know the exact gain for the aerial.

3. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Group A H means Group A horizontal polarisation not high gain.

Do you get a good analogue Five picture? The reason I ask is in your area Five in on channel 37, old group A aerials only covered channels 21 to 35, so if the picture is poor try a new aerial, if it's OK then you may have a new group A aerial (if it was fitted in the last ten years) which covers channels 21 to 37, and therefore should be fine for FV in your area.

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we can receive Channel 5 analogue, I can't remember the wife complaining she couldn't watch Home and Away ! :D

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Your problem is likely to be called Richmond Hill, I have clients in Richmond and Twickenham who suffer from this. Check the map for line of sight, you might have to draw a cross section. A tall mast and the highest gain aerial you can use are the only solutions, the other transmitters are not good there.

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    God dammit ! You're right, Richmond Hill and the Park are in the way. Teddington where the in-laws live have a better line of sight.

So, how high must the aerial be on top of my roof ? 50 foot or 75 ?!

Yes. :)

Richie.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'll just rust away in the corner then. I should call a local aerial man and see what he has to say.

8. 7Seven

7Seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why is it that in council flats where Channel 5 works Freeview still doesn't? I have to use an internal aerial to get Freeview even though the aerial was upgraded a few months after Channel 5 launched to allow the reception or Channel 5.

9. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Probably because the aerial signal is distributed via an amplified distribution system to feed all the flats. The five analogue station signals will be amplified as required but all other signals will be attenuated or blocked to prevent interference. Don’t forget Five was on air many years before Freeview. Why don’t you ask your council if the aerial system can be updated for Freeview.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Good idea, Fred, and refer them to the 'digital switch over' white paper. They surely must assist, in order to further govt. policy. If not write to your MP explaining why you can't get digital TV, even though you'd like to be a good citizen.

11. CeeGee

CeeGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought for you richjthorpe. I am in Weybridge and our aerials point towards Ally Pally area - straight through the Twickenham area. Have you checked which way the aerials in your area are pointing - if some are pointing NE then you could try yours that way.

12. 7Seven

7Seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if upgrading the aerial would do the job. The cables used to carry the TV signals to ALL the flats will probably need upgrading too as they may not be suitable for digital tv signals. This is a massive job so I don't think they'd be diong it soon. Maybe when the swithover is nearer.

Plus, I've noticed the external aerial on top of the building points in the opposite direction of the indoor aerial I use, maybe that's why it doesn't receive digital tv signals; cos it's pointing the wrong way for freeview.

13. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Intersting idea. What is you PQ like ? I'm guessing Ally Pally is about half the distance again than the distance between Twick and Crystal Palace.

MAW, what is the website where I can find the direction I must point the aerial in to get Ally Pally ?

Cheers all,

Richie.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
  15. CeeGee

CeeGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PQ is very good considering I live in a block of flats and the aerial lead has five outlets before it gets to me. Near the aerial it seems perfect. I do have a clear line of site to Ally Pally from here 'cos I'm on a bit of a hill, and I look down a bit on Twickenham. Mind you, us "Weybridgeites" look down on everybody cos we're posh. Crystal Palace is nearer but out of site so "line of site" does seem to make a lot of difference.

16. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm, it can't find Ally Pally at all. Not even when I put in an Ally Pally Post Code, the closest it can find is Crystal Palace !! Think I'll have to have a chat with the local friendly aerial guy.

Thanks all,

Richie.

17. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    If you don't ask you will never know or may wait a long time unnecessarily.

I can't comment on the quality of the existing cabling but that's not really your problem either it’s the council's and or their contractor.

Most transmitters and relays now carry FV (but not all), so that might or might not be a reason. But again it's back to the council.

18. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Analogue and digital signals come from Crystal Palace with the exception of analogue Five which comes from Croydon .

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Sharing your town with Cliff Richard is giving you delusions of grandeur! Yes, quite a few of my posher clients are in Weybridge, it's a 50% millionaire town I think.

20. CeeGee

CeeGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just checked on dtg.org.uk and it is Hemel Hempstead - not Ally Pally.
    Go here: http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html
    and see what that comes up with for you. Sorry for the wrong info - I've never bothered to check exactly where the signal was coming from.

21. 7Seven

7Seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd probably be the only one asking the council to do something about it cos most of the people in my building have either Sky digital or analogue tv. They've probably tried freeview, been told they need an aerial upgrade, and they just get Sky digital. The council aint gonna do anything if only I say something, there's gotta be more people involved.

22. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked Wolfbane for Hemel Hempstead and it say I need an 'Extreme Outer Fringe' Aerial. Don't sound good to me !

There is however Reigate, Hannington and Guildford available using 'Amplified Extra High Gain'. Crystal Palace seems to be the best using a lowly 'Log Periodic' Aerial.

Think I might just go on to Telewest :)