1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AAAAAAAAAAAAGHH!!!(Yammy AX-1)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Neil69, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :mad: :mad: :mad: Hi. I've had my Yammy AX-1 since November 2000. Since I have had the damn thing it has gone wrong three times now. The first fault was that the left rear surround channel died. So I sent it away to get it tested & fixted. An electronics bloke said that there was definately a fault. I got it back with a note saying that there wasn't anything wrong with it but it worked so I thought nothing of it.
    The second fault occurred when I arrived back home from my hols last summer. This time the centre channel died. I took it back to the same shop. Another electronics bloke concurred that there was a fault & again I got a note saying that there wasn't anything wrong with it. Again it worked so I thought nothing of it, until now. The front left channel has died:mad: :mad: :mad: Now it is out of warranty. I think that it may be over heating. How much does it cost to have this amp fixed with tis kind of fault?
    Cheers, Neil
    PS I'm totally ****ed off!!!

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem when my rear left channel went dead.

I contacted the local Yamaha service centre and it went in. When I picked it up they told me that there is a known problem with the PRE-OUT jacks to allow you to connect to external amplifiers. In some case the switch in the jack closes and hence the AX1 thinks you have plugged another AMP in and disables the onboard power amp, hence no sound(actually if you turn the volume all the way up you can just hear something) The solution is they replaced all my jacks with the new part number.

The engineer did say that you could clear it by getting a phono plug and pushing it in and out of the jack to reset the switch.

When your AMP went in for repair the fault had cleared itself hence they could not find any problem.

Hope this helps

Phil

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Neil,

If it is overheating it will break again when you get it mended.

Has the amp got good ventilation?

Is the impedance switch on the back set correctly?

Have you got an intermittent short on a speaker cable or speaker that blows it?

Unplug it from the mains and see if it comes back to life.

Try a power amp on the preouts to see if the processing is still working. If so, it might be cheaper to buy a power amp than getting it repaired in the long run.

If all else fails, put it on ebay :D

Good luck,

Mark.

4. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for replying. The sound from the front left channel has deleated by, say 80%. There is sound there, but not much. I will be going within a few miles from where I bought it from. I will ask their advice.
    Cheers, Neil
    :devil: :devil: :devil:
    Maybe it's posessed!

5. fbwfs

fbwfs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same "left channel problem" with my ax1 and connect
    the pre out with the main in solved the problem.
    If you have some other problem with your ax1,you could
    probably find an answer on this forum

6. fbwfs

fbwfs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first link doesn't seem to work so try this one and go to the ax1 section.

7. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks FBWFS for the advice & info. I have just sent an e-mail to Yamaha about the situation I have with my Yammy AX-1.
    Again, cheers. Neil
    :) :)

8. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have just got a reply to my e-mail to Yamaha:) . I gave the sevice manager a ring & explained everything & where I bought it from etc.. He is going to ring a local agent in Bolton who fix amps in house to get them to replace all of the 6 channel inputs & outputs for no charge, as it is still under the 2 year guarantee.:D . The only problem is that it will be away for a week. Lucky that I've still got a 3090!
    Thanks for all the replies, Neil
    :D :D :D