Quantcast

AA snippet of info from xboxyde

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
'btw. I just read something very interesting in the german xboxfront forum.

Microsoft said to them that the AA will be in retail versions. the Xbox360 has a special chip only for the AA... hardware AA!

EVERY Game will have AA due to that chip. The features of that thing have something to do with Windows Vista and therefore MS did not release the software for that chip yet... strange but...'

Also this article is an interesting read if you haven't seen it:-

http://beyond3d.com/articles/xenos/index.php

Cheers,
Andy.

Pooon

not knowing much about graphics and how there done etc, i take it hardware AA is a good thing? :rolleyes:

J

JayList

zAndy1 said:
'btw. I just read something very interesting in the german xboxfront forum.

Microsoft said to them that the AA will be in retail versions. the Xbox360 has a special chip only for the AA... hardware AA!

EVERY Game will have AA due to that chip. The features of that thing have something to do with Windows Vista and therefore MS did not release the software for that chip yet... strange but...'

Also this article is an interesting read if you haven't seen it:-

http://beyond3d.com/articles/xenos/index.php

Cheers,
Andy.
I would hope so! I expect 4*AA in every game on a next gen console to be honest.

Good link though.

J

JayList

captaineyecatch said:
According to another bits and pieces i read (cant remember where might have been xboxdye)
AA is up to the developer - they have a choice of using AA or HDR(High Dynamic Range) But they cant use both ?
Strange, didn't think HDR precluded AA? They're both in hl2 I think?

richard plumb

JayList said:
Strange, didn't think HDR precluded AA? They're both in hl2 I think?
yeah, but thats a PC. Much more flexible system

Xbox 360 has hardware assist for things like AA and HDR (embedded ram on the graphics chip gives it the bandwidth needed to do that). However its only 10Mb, and thats enough for 4xAA or HDR (needs larger colour depth for the frame buffer)

You can do both, but you need to tile the display and do 1/4 of the screen at a time. Not something launch games are likely to do, but I'd expect later games to have a go.

J

JayList

richard plumb said:
yeah, but thats a PC. Much more flexible system

Xbox 360 has hardware assist for things like AA and HDR (embedded ram on the graphics chip gives it the bandwidth needed to do that). However its only 10Mb, and thats enough for 4xAA or HDR (needs larger colour depth for the frame buffer)

You can do both, but you need to tile the display and do 1/4 of the screen at a time. Not something launch games are likely to do, but I'd expect later games to have a go.
Good answer thanks. :smashin: