• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AA Battery life - Duracell vs. NiMh (in my annoying Samsung Digimax)

shedtastic

Standard Member
I have a Samsung Digimax 510 (I think) that is not bad for a basic digi camera. But it takes AA's. And it currently seems to take about 10 and then it starts failing to write them to the memory card before shutting down and giving the error message "LOW BATTERY". All very annoying and yes, I have taken it back to the highstreet retailer where my wife bought it for me, insisting that this must surely be a fault. And they 'claim' to have had it repaired twice, but have basically pointed out that I should buy a charger and 2100mAhr rechargeable batteries as these work better than the brand name non-rechargeables.

So, first question:

1) If the best NiMh rechargeable AA's can deliver 2100mAhr, what can Duracells / Energizers etc deliver? I can't find any mention of it on the pack?

2) What's the best reasonably priced charger / battery combo. I believe I need an 'intelligent' charger that cuts out when the battery is full rather than one with just a timer?

All help much appreciated!

bibamus

I always found Duracells to last much longer in anything than rechargeables, but, I never used a Samsung. You can get good batteries and charger from somewhere like www.7dayshop.co.uk . I got my Uniross 2500ah batts and charger for about £12 or so, very good batteries, but probably not the best out there. They have an offer on now for 4 Panasonic rechargeables ( 2100ah) and charger for less than a fiver.

allan

ush flynn

maybe you were using nicad rechargeables though pal. NiMh will almost always outperform alkaline disposibles. I think you can buy them up to about 2600-2800 Mah now though, so those will obviously allow you more shooting time than the 2100's you mention. HOWEVER take a look in the battery compartment, is there 2 seperate holes for 2 batteries? or is in a kinda oblong shaped hole with maybe a grove half way down on one flat side of it? If it is you might want to consider the CR-V3 battery, which is a lithium disposible cell, great if you run out while your on holiday they last sooooo long and you can pick them up anywhere decent that sells cameras. The best part is samsung made a rechargeable version
A rechargeable lithium CR-V3 battery. They sell it in a pack with the charger and this battery will last you id say twice to three times as long as a 2600Mah NiMh battery.

Uniross do a version, dont worry about the Mah output though lithiums discharge at a different rate (camcorder batteries are around 600-750Mah Li-Ion)
http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/uniross-sprint-cr-v3-battery-charger-rc104371.asp

good luck :D

Drew2

Does your Samsung have constant auto focus? If so that will eat your batteries up in no time, my wifes Olympus will last for about 30mins with this feature on (uses two AAs) but will last a whole day happily with it switched off so if you can disable this feature.:smashin:

shedtastic

Standard Member
Thanks for all the advice!

I have found that (obviously) switching off the LCD screen and using the viewfinder instead helps no end, but also specifically switching off the (can't remember the technical term for it) "this is what you just took" 3 second screenshot was crucial - the camera just doesn't seem to be able to file a 5 meg image to the card at the same time as displaying this still, with anything but brand new batteries.

bibamus - I think that duracells will always last longer in a slow drain application (like a kitchen clock or transistor radio etc) as rechargables just seem to 'leak' over time. But the capacity of the rechargables now seem to but up to 3 times that of duracells. Thanks for the link!

Flynn - thanks for the advice, I will check if the CR-V3 battery will fit. Think I might experiment with a cheap set of AA rechargeables first as I don't really want to cough up cash for a fancy new charger that will only be useful for this application (and to be honest this camera might find itself flying towards a solid object if it continues to annoy me as much as it does..)

Drew2 - thanks, I will check, but I think it doesn't do that (Which is to say, if it does have constant autofocus on, why the h3ll does it take such a long time to take a picture?!? The huge delay between pressing the button and actual capture is very annoying)

Neil

md644

Digital cameras use up alkaline AA batteries VERY quickly (I seem to recall it's something to do with the current loading, what happens is the battery "dies" after a few shots).
I bought an Olympus P&S five years ago, and resisted the shop assistant trying to sell me NiMH batteries/charger as well 'cos I thought he was juyst trying to boost his commission. My Duracells lasted not very long at all. So I bought NiMH rechargeables and they lasted AGES.....

md644

"The huge delay between pressing the button and actual capture is very annoying)"

Basically the camera is constantly feeding the image to the LCD at the back (whether it's actually switched on or not); the shutter is open to do this. When you "press the button", the shutter closes, the CCD is cleared, the shutter re-opens to take the picture, then closes, then re-opens to start feeding the image to the LCD. That's why it takes so long (though it's constantly improving).
On a DSLR with a conventional shutter/mirror, there's no such live feed, hence quicker response times.

ush flynn

md644 said:
Digital cameras use up alkaline AA batteries VERY quickly (I seem to recall it's something to do with the current loading, what happens is the battery "dies" after a few shots).
I bought an Olympus P&S five years ago, and resisted the shop assistant trying to sell me NiMH batteries/charger as well 'cos I thought he was juyst trying to boost his commission. My Duracells lasted not very long at all. So I bought NiMH rechargeables and they lasted AGES.....

haha i used to work at a jessops store and i got the same feeling when i suggested they get batteries now, i would offer them great deals to save them the hassle of chucking out batteries all the time and then having to come back anyway! id even tell them that im on such low pay with no commission then its of no interest of me to try and sell them something they dont need!
NiMh is a big step from alkalines but to then go to Li-Ion such as that cr-v3 is an even bigger step. Some olympus cameras use it too

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom