A90J and G1 peak brightness updated - 3 second boost

You can hack A90J to 1000 nits movie mode by maxing out CMS settings to +20.

You can hack A90J to 1000 nits movie mode by maxing out CMS settings to +20.
Actually you only max out level 20 which is white. Maxing them all out will destroy your calibration.

560D37A9-E6A9-400F-9167-A34086F6B502.png

Great. Forgot OLED actually has white subpixel. Vincent also mentioned this in his review. Got it mixed up.
No problem. This was confusing to myself and a lot of people. I tracked this down to help.

Last edited:
A review in the USA said that the Sony A90J had strong over sharpening that couldn't be eliminated by changing the settings. Has anybody noticed this?

Quantum TV? He has zero respect. all legitimate reviews state great detail, best processing
It is from Consumer Reports (USA), which does the most TV reviews per year in the entire world. Very reputable source and that was why I asking if anybody else noticed this. Part of their review is they have five professional reviewers watch each TV they review for 2 weeks as well as computer readings.

It is from Consumer Reports (USA), which does the most TV reviews per year in the entire world. Very reputable source and that was why I asking if anybody else noticed this. Part of their review is they have five professional reviewers watch each TV they review for 2 weeks as well as computer readings.
Again, not a reviewer anyone waits on pins and needles for their opinion. First time I’ve read this opinion.

Last edited:
Again, not a reviewer anyone waits on pins and needles for their opinion. First time I’ve read this opinion.
Consumer Reports performed 2 weeks of tests on a 65 inch A90J and a 55 inch A90J. They gave both of these TVs a 84 rating compared to an 87 for last years A90G.

They take reliability, owner satisfaction, data security, and data privacy into consideration as well as HD picture quality, UHD picture quality, HDR, motion, motion blur, versatility, viewing angle, and sound so there ratings are probably the most inclusive out there. They rate each of these items on a scale of 1 to 5 as well as the overall scale. Because they rate reliability and owner satisfaction based on data collected from over 130,000 TVs I find their ratings to be the most beneficial, but each person has there own likings.

There are so many experts giving their opinions, professionals and amateurs, it can get highly confusing trying to absorb all the information or choosing which expert(s) to base your opinions on. Because Consumers Reports mentioned that the A90J was strongly over sharpened I wondering if anybody else noticed this.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports performed 2 weeks of tests on a 65 inch A90J and a 55 inch A90J. They gave both of these TVs a 84 rating compared to an 87 for last years A90G.

They take reliability, owner satisfaction, data security, and data privacy into consideration as well as HD picture quality, UHD picture quality, HDR, motion, motion blur, versatility, viewing angle, and sound so there ratings are probably the most inclusive out there. They rate each of these items on a scale of 1 to 5 as well as the overall scale. Because they rate reliability and owner satisfaction based on data collected from over 130,000 TVs I find their ratings to be the most beneficial, but each person has there own likings.

There are so many experts giving their opinions, professionals and amateurs, it can get highly confusing trying to absorb all the information or choosing which expert(s) to base your opinions on. Because Consumers Reports mentioned that the A90J was strongly over sharpened I wondering if anybody else noticed this.
This is exactly why you should not rely on reviews from people who spend most days testing detergent and washing machines. They can spend 10 months on their review and they will turn out the same. If you want to hang you hat on this review, great. I never look at Consumer Reports or Quantum TV for tv reviews.

I trust professional calibrators like D-Nice and others who really know displays and Have over ten years of reputation. I also trust my own eyes which have seen the A90J Next to the A9G and the 90J clearly has a better picture.

There has not been 130,000 A90Js sold or even close to that so CR is already flawed. I can tell you absolutely nobody who is a professional calibrator considers CR a source of reference for displays. It’s great for the person buying a $30 toaster,

Last edited:
This is exactly why you should not rely on reviews from people who spend most days testing detergent and washing machines. They can spend 10 months on their review and they will turn out the same. If you want to hang you hat on this review, great. I never look at Consumer Reports or Quantum TV for tv reviews.

I trust professional calibrators like D-Nice and others who really know displays and Have over ten years of reputation. I also trust my own eyes which have seen the A90J Next to the A9G and the 90J clearly has a better picture.

There has not been 130,000 A90Js sold or even close to that so CR is already flawed. I can tell you absolutely nobody who is a professional calibrator considers CR a source of reference for displays. It’s great for the person buying a $30 toaster,
I was just asking a question. Because this was different than many of the other professional reviewer‘s. I was just wondering if anybody noticed this. Not trying to say that the A90J has overly strong sharpening. Just asking if anybody else noticed this. Not looking for an argument

Summary of Results by Consumer Reports.
HD PICTURE QUALITY. HD picture quality was Excellent. Reproduction of fine HD image detail was Excellent. Image detail was very exaggerated and made images appear less natural, despite our attempts to minimize this with the sharpness control. Color accuracy was Excellent, so colors, especially flesh tones, look very natural and lifelike. Excellent contrast—the difference between the darkest blacks and brightest whites—gave images great depth and dimension. Black levels were Excellent, and delivered very deep blacks that enhanced contrast in dark scenes. This was among the brightest models we’ve tested (with the Brightness control turned up), so the picture was well suited for a very sunny room—a lower setting is recommended for a dimmer viewing environment. Its reproduction of smooth edges on image content for "up-converted" HD-to-UHD images fell short with some visible "jaggies" (jagged edges); deinterlacing of 1080i video was Excellent; and film mode detection from 1080i content was Excellent.

Last edited:
I was just asking a question. Because this was different than many of the other professional reviewer‘s. I was just wondering if anybody noticed this. Not trying to say that the A90J has overly strong sharpening. Just asking if anybody else noticed this. Not looking for an argument
You stated you find their reviews most beneficial, that’s ok. The A9G is one heck of an awesome display. The 77“ in the USA is cheaper than the 65” A90J. Many will prefer this and I don’t blame them. But IMO, the 90J is brighter with slightly better processing. I honestly have never heard anyone claim the 90J is overly sharpened.

Maybe they should have turned the sharpness down as the sharpness starts at 50:rolleyes:,professional reviewers my Arse:rolleyes::facepalm::facepalm:

Anyone else anticipating cries of "not fit for purpose" later this year or early next by the same people who "hack" their A90Js to eek out the extra brightness and end up with the inevitable?

Anyone else anticipating cries of "not fit for purpose" later this year or early next by the same people who "hack" their A90Js to eek out the extra brightness and end up with the inevitable?
Thats deons number one excuse for his next "free" tv

^tell us how a store can really be an accurate representation of how these operate in a home environment?

It's not the same as a home, but there's no sunlight and I wouldn't say it's bright inside. The TV section is dimmed.

This year's TVs are great, but not special. The improvement is so small that even side by side with HDR content, not I or the rep could tell the TVs apart. Now I'm repeating myself

I looked very hard
It's not the same as a home, but there's no sunlight and I wouldn't say it's bright inside. The TV section is dimmed.

This year's TVs are great, but not special. The improvement is so small that even side by side with HDR content, not I or the rep could tell the TVs apart. Now I'm repeating myself

Okay, it is not like a $600. Westinghouse or Sansui compared with a Sony or LG OLED. If THAT is the difference that you are looking for, then you WILL be grossly disappointed.
Virtually every reviewer (a couple of exceptions out of 20) are declaring a SIGNIFICANT upgrade since last year. I agree. The main difference is in the DETAIL IN DARKISH AREAS. Virtually every “expert” notes real upgrade in speculative highlights.
If you are not seeing this...please, for sake of your wallet, DO NOT buy this panel. Buy a LG C9, or a SONY A8g.

Okay, it is not like a $600. Westinghouse or Sansui compared with a Sony or LG OLED. If THAT is the difference that you are looking for, then you WILL be grossly disappointed.
Virtually every reviewer (a couple of exceptions out of 20) are declaring a SIGNIFICANT upgrade since last year. I agree. The main difference is in the DETAIL IN DARKISH AREAS. Virtually every “expert” notes real upgrade in speculative highlights.
If you are not seeing this...please, for sake of your wallet, DO NOT buy this panel. Buy a LG C9, or a SONY A8g.
Hey wolvernole...did you after all these years actually purchase an oled?

Yeah I mean that's gonna be your decision...tbh I've owned every gen oled since 2015 and the differences are minor...people forget that the c8 and c9 were some of the brightest oleds around. The a90j is no doubt a beast...but is it worth the cost!

Hey wolvernole...did you after all these years actually purchase an oled?

An excellent and very fair question. That would be a “no.” Why? I am STILL in love with my Panasonic plasmas AND I watch a real lot of broadcast/sports (720p and 1080i).
I am a very likely purchaser of a SONY A90J (65”), in July. This might be the year that SONY has finally (almost) accomplished making HD upconversion to 4K as good-looking as my plasmas. Fingers crossed.
(on soapbox: C’mon broadcasters ! Give us some more LIVE 4K). Off soapbox !
Aside from that, getting ready to pull the trigger on a JVC NX-7 (aka RS2000). Of course, not an OLED.

Last edited:
Yeah I mean that's gonna be your decision...tbh I've owned every gen oled since 2015 and the differences are minor...people forget that the c8 and c9 were some of the brightest oleds around. The a90j is no doubt a beast...but is it worth the cost!

Good post !
“Is it worth the cost?”
Cost has never been a factor for me. Just has not. What has always been the “hold-back” is poor upconversion. Never comfortable with what upconversion did to 2K broadcast live sports.
Maybe 2021 and the beautiful A90J. And a more modest size might look better with that upconversion. Sure 77” or 82” would look spectacular with 4K HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom