A90J and G1 peak brightness updated - 3 second boost

Agreed, I was simply pointing out this is in line with LG's claims of a 20% increase in brightness. What this actually means in real terms or based on arbitrary scales created by viewers is completely different. LG claimed a 20% increase and those figures do back it up in some small way. Obviously Sony don't have to prove anything as they never release figures anyway. 😂😂
I find the Sony A90J a difficult "Quest" ! Because it seems that the LG G1 has the same brightness numbers offcially proved now by many different "official" reviewers..
I mean in the cinema or calibrated movie-modes..
But the lg uses less current.. And so less heat.. LG also has improved in near black and in motion. And I read more reviewers claimen that LG allready have surpassed SOny in motion..
So what rest for the more expensive sony. The sound from the screen (for me).
But I think sony hyped 2021 by showing 1.300 nits on pictures.. But then in unusable dynamic mode.
And by mentioning the use of a heatsink.
But this is not the same as the heatsink of the panasonics..
And if the panasonic uses the evo panel..

I find the Sony A90J a difficult "Quest" ! Because it seems that the LG G1 has the same brightness numbers offcially proved now by many different "official" reviewers..
But the lg uses less current.. And so less heat.. LG also has improved in near black and in motion. And I read more reviewers claimen that LG allready have surpassed SOny in motion..
But I think sony hyped 2021 by showing 1.300 nits on pictures.. But then in unusable dynamic mode.
I highly doubt LG has surpassed sony in the motion department now.

and the 2021 lg near black dithering noise as per VT review of the c1 and g1 looks much worse than sony nearblacks.

what you been smoking over there? o_O :rotfl:

I haven't seen any pro reviews yet that suggest the LG motion is better than Sony. It may have improved but I thought it was still lagging that of Sony?
Also the same with just above black where Sony appear to have the edge again from the pro reviews I have seen..Sony never hyped the 1300 nits that was from reviewers and pro calibrators not Sony.
I haven't bought LG or Sony yet so no real axe to grind either way.
However I think it's the application of the heat sink and the way the panel is driven which appears to have caught so many peoples attention. It just seems to give a better overall picture experience, again from the majority of pro reviews.
There appears to be consensus that the a90 is indeed a very good TV but whether its worth it is entirely for you to decide.
2 camps appear to have established themselves in 2021
GAMERS = LG
Movies = Sony
At some point we all have to make our minds up

Im a "gamer" got a ps5, xsx and a switch, but still sony for me. :thumbsup:
maybe if i was a pc master race gamer i'd go for lg? But the near blacks and sony motion is hard to refuse.

Agreed, I was simply pointing out this is in line with LG's claims of a 20% increase in brightness. What this actually means in real terms or based on arbitrary scales created by viewers is completely different. LG claimed a 20% increase and those figures do back it up in some small way. Obviously Sony don't have to prove anything as they never release figures anyway. 😂😂

"Arbitrary scales"?
These "scales" are used by engineers and colour scientists to make displays work properly - to accurately represent what's captured. To the eye... (this statement is for others reading the thread)

Supakoopa, post numbered 5495 in this thread about burn in explains a lot, it's funny too.

Last edited:

Good point, the heatsink is crap, practically useless I'd say because the A90J weighs almost nothing more than the A9G while the panasonic JZ2000 has an extra 20 pounds of metal compared to its non-heatsinked brethren

Good point, the heatsink is crap, practically useless I'd say because the A90J weighs almost nothing more than the A9G while the panasonic JZ2000 has an extra 20 pounds of metal compared to its non-heatsinked brethren

:D :D

Rb4c3691d3c1b743c2ba95e51c01763d5.jpeg

Actually .5 pounds of aluminum is a lot. The Panasonic clearly is a brighter display. How we in the unicorn and expensive

The spanish review achieved almost 900 nits on the A90J with no tricks.

Last edited:
Lol I know who your talking about there :D
he got a Samsung neo led, was best thing ever, then a90j, then a80j, then A90J again, all the best TVs ever while totally slagging off the old one he just returned, now he's saying the A90J isn't worth the extra money and only a slight ( 5% ) increase in brightness :laugh:
I seen he's looking to return it for another a80j or a LG g1 :rotfl:
and he just got banned yesterday for all this slagging of the tv he just got rid off lmao.

total popcorn stuff :D
The Samsung A80J is a want to be A90J. might as well go with LG C1 for less money, The Samsung QN90A has uniformity light bleed in the middle of the screens .
I don’t post this on the AVS forum as I’m not out to make people feel bad about their display. Pay attention to the banding in the middle of the screen. There is light bleed and once you see it, every time the screen moves in sports, you see it. Great for movies thou. Two displays, both same issues.

The Samsung A80J is a want to be A90J. might as well go with LG C1 for less money, The Samsung QN90A has uniformity light bleed in the middle of the screens .
I don’t post this on the AVS forum as I’m not out to make people feel bad about their display. Pay attention to the banding in the middle of the screen. There is light bleed and once you see it, every time the screen moves in sports, you see it. Great for movies thou. Two displays, both same issues.

are you going for a c1 or g1?

are you going for a c1 or g1?
Despite what all the Old Queens at AVS forum concluded. I never said I was replacing the 90J. It’s the best display on the planet and I won the panel lottery with a great one. I do believe that anyone who does not go with the 90J should save the money and go with a C1, Cx or G1. The A80J is a good tv, but it’s not worth a premium over the others.

The Panasonic is probably better than the A90J but not widely available and I’ve never seen one.

The spanish review achieved almost 900 nits on the A90J with not tricks.

Sets of the same model vary +-50 nits. A cooler colour temperature (the default) can add 50 nits. Then the measurements can vary even more depending on equipment, environment, and method. The peak brightness is known already

Actually .5 pounds of aluminum is a lot. The Panasonic clearly is a brighter display. How we in the unicorn and expensive
I hope you're joking lol. That's 0.05 pounds per square foot. A bright colour can make 150 watts on a square foot

Edit: and because you're joking, you pulled that number out of your ass, right? It's probably close to correct, but we're trying to avoid misinformation lol

Despite what all the Old Queens at AVS forum concluded. I never said I was replacing the 90J. It’s the best display on the planet and I won the panel lottery with a great one. I do believe that anyone who does not go with the 90J should save the money and go with a C1, Cx or G1. The A80J is a good tv, but it’s not worth a premium over the others.

The Panasonic is probably better than the A90J but not widely available and I’ve never seen one.
in the uk the a80j is only £200 more than the c1 and £600 cheaper than the g1.
a80j for £200 more for superior motion and near blacks is the one to go for imo.

Last edited:
I hope you're joking lol. That's 0.05 pounds per square foot. A bright colour can make 150 watts on a square foot
The Spanish review has the 90j with almost 900 nits. Every review has the Sony with more Nits, No it’s not a 1000 nits Panasonic and if you live in a part of the world they sell it, I would purchase the Panasonic.

in the uk the a80j is only £200 more than the c1 and £500 cheaper than the g1.
a80j for £200 more for superior motion and near blacks is the one to go for imo.
If I’m in the UK, I buy the Panasonic. The A90J is not a 1000 Nits oled. It’s just bright enough to make a person not regret having as QLED and living with DSE.

The Spanish review has the 90j with almost 900 nits. Every review has the Sony with more Nits, No it’s not a 1000 nits Panasonic and if you live in a part of the world they sell it, I would purchase the Panasonic.
I said you're joking about the 0.5lbs of aluminum, not the peak brightness. The peak brightness of that set is known and measurements vary. The average is low 800s - you're quoting the wrong posts. It's confusing. Please pay attention to what you're doing

Maybe you do know what you're doing. If you want to talk about your A90J, make a thread, don't derail this one

Last edited:
Pot, meet kettle.

Were you talking to me? I don't insult, attack, or belittle others. But I am as firm as I have to be in response.

I'll debate anyone. I'll discuss anything with anyone...
When I'm wrong, I integrate the new information with what I know already.

But in debate, when people ignore correct points they disagree with, use name calling, and put words in my mouth, it ceases being debate -it's no longer productive. It's just me being attacked and misinformation being propagated. It's unpleasant for me and others trying to learn passively. If I continue to engage, it makes me look as bad as the person on the offense. But if I stop talking, it can be interpreted as I have nothing to say because I'm wrong (which is not the case). It becomes a lose lose situation, and it's one of the reasons good information is hard to come by online - people with knowledge get frustrated from dealing with people pretending to have knowledge arguing with them. They no longer want to put in the effort. I'm patient, I try. If you read my posts in detail, it's obvious. Sometimes, the block button is needed though

I highly doubt LG has surpassed sony in the motion department now.

and the 2021 lg near black dithering noise as per VT review of the c1 and g1 looks much worse than sony nearblacks.

what you been smoking over there? o_O :rotfl:

If all A90Js look like the one Vincent had for comparison, I’d take the LG (even uncalibrated) for near black any time of the day. The A90J‘s near black calibration obscures detail and results in harsh transitions near black due to the missing brightness gradation. Dithering noise and detail vs. basically no details and no way to improve near black....that’s an easy pick for me...especially since I have seen several A8 which had the same issue. Near black was already worse than last year’s Panasonic and LG OLEDs.

If all A90Js look like the one Vincent had for comparison, I’d take the LG (even uncalibrated) for near black any time of the day. The A90J‘s near black calibration obscures detail and results in harsh transitions near black due to the missing brightness gradation. Dithering noise and detail vs. basically no details and no way to improve near black....that’s an easy pick for me...especially since I have seen several A8 which had the same issue. Near black was already worse than last year’s Panasonic and LG OLEDs.
Yes the crawling near black noise on the LG is to die for.

If you translate the dutch review of the sony a9oj,.. Under the topic Picturequality, the reviewers shows picutre of 1-3 % grey.. and claims the sony to be better. The lg g1 has dithering, but this doesn't show up in content.. But the sony can give more detail in darker area's

IMO the A90J and the Panasonics are clearly the best OLEDS. LED never should be compared. LG OLEDS are very close but not as good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom